Victim Shoots Attempted Robber in Self Defense

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby nyffman on Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:20 pm

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=973_1217721136

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – A 20-year-old man attempted to rob two victims at gunpoint near an ATM when one of the victim’s took out a handgun and shot him.

Police were called to the Bank of America, 8320 North Oak Trafficway, in regard to a shooting just before 9 a.m. Saturday.

When police arrived, they found a male in the parking lot suffering from a gunshot wound to the head.

He was transported to a local hospital in critical condition.

According to police, an older couple was leaving the drive-thru when a robber came up and pointed a gun at the wife’s head.

Her husband got out of the car with his own gun.

The suspect aimed for the husband, but the husband fired first shooting the robber in the head. The man and his wife were clearly shaken, but stayed put until police arrived to question everyone.

Officers said it looks like an open and shut case of self-defense.
An encoraging aspect of this story is that the reporter sayed "the victim does have a concealed carry permit". Yes, the victim, the one who defended himself and his wife. Let's celebrate. Victims can defend themseves. :booyah: :cheers: :goofydance: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Re: Victim Shoots Attempted Robber in Self Defense

Postby bensdad on Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:40 pm

That's awsome! Not that someone got shot, but that the media used the right terms this time.

Prayers for the couple.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby ttousi on Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:09 pm

:exactly:
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby chunkstyle on Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:27 am

The couple should file suit against the criminal, even if he has no money, to head off any suit by him or his family.
"In his library at Simi Valley, dead Reagan waits dreaming"
chunkstyle

Postby JohninMinnesota on Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:19 am

at what point is a person allowed to defend thereself from a robber wtih a gun
anger burns and fills with hatred - wreaks havoc on the soul - what goes out comes back three fold - end it now
JohninMinnesota

Postby jac714 on Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:24 am

CY80r6 wrote:at what point is a person allowed to defend thereself from a robber wtih a gun

IANAL but my understanding is that if you shoot to save property you have a problem, if you are in fear for you life or GBH then you can use deadly force.

If the BG takes your stuff and is leaving you cannot use deadly force, if the guy is threatening you with a weapon and you can get yours into play you cna use it to defend your life.
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Postby Jeff Bergquist on Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:14 am

jac714 wrote:
CY80r6 wrote:at what point is a person allowed to defend thereself from a robber wtih a gun

IANAL but my understanding is that if you shoot to save property you have a problem, if you are in fear for you life or GBH then you can use deadly force.

If the BG takes your stuff and is leaving you cannot use deadly force, if the guy is threatening you with a weapon and you can get yours into play you cna use it to defend your life.

Most exactly, the true standard is whether you can get a the g-men and/or a jury to believe your were in fear of death or great bodily harm for yourself or another innocent.
The bold type giveth, the fine print taketh away.
Jeff Bergquist

Postby Aceq2jot on Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:57 pm

What ever happened to that guy who was from st cloud i believe, who shot them kids who robbed him when he got off the bus at como and snelling, does any one remember?? Cause if memory serves me right he shot at them after the fact and they were walking away, and he was not a permit holder.
Really i am your worst Nightmare, for i walk the night and the cover of darkness belongs to me :D

You cant make a pile of Dog shat smell like a rose a bunch of Roses, so why try ???
Aceq2jot

Postby Srigs on Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:07 pm

That is great news that the older couple protected themselves and he was a dam good shot. :mrgreen:
Srigs,

http://www.sideguardholsters.com
http://www.sideguardholsters.com/blog

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.
Srigs

Return to In The News