child shooting in MN

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

child shooting in MN

Postby Vlad on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:34 pm

I am sad to report that I found this. From KSTP website.

3-year-old accidentally shot by sister in Rice Co.

A 3-year-old boy died after he was accidentally shot in the head by his 6-year-old sister in Nerstrand, just east of Faribault, Tuesday afternoon.

The Rice County Sheriff's Office said the children were playing in the upper level of their home when the girl found a loaded .357 revolver in an unlocked nightstand.

Officials said the children where playing with the gun when it went off, striking the 3-year-old boy in the head. The children's mother, who was downstairs at the time, found the boy and called 911.

The Sheriff's Office said the boy was airlifted from a nearby baseball field to North Memorial Medical Center in Robbinsdale, where he was pronounced dead shortly before 5:30 p.m.
http://www.Schleifleather.com For custom holsters that fit you and the gun, not to mention show off those Strad grips...

The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression."

--W.E.B. Du Bois,
American scholar and civil rights leader
Vlad

Re: child shooting in MN

Postby rucker on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:41 pm

I can't believe people think it's ok to leave a loaded gun laying around when you have a 3 and a 6 year old in the house. What a sad story :(
rucker

Postby ttousi on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:42 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry: Tough on the family. Prayers to them. (gotta lock em up when kids are around)
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby Ramoel on Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:07 am

More fodder for the anti's to propose stronger gun storage laws. It's a shame that some adults treat loaded guns so casually. Now there are several lives ruined and the little girl will always know she killed someone, hell of a childhood memory.
Ron

NRA Life Member
USS Bristol DD857

Everyone dies, some live first...
Ramoel

Postby jgalt on Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:37 am

When kids are around - locked up or on your person. Anything else is inexcusable.

ETA - I've been thinking about it, and I want to change "when kids are around" to "when anyone you haven't personally 'trained' and trust to treat every gun they see as loaded are around"...
jgalt

Postby tt3 on Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:25 am

jgalt wrote:When kids are around - locked up or on your person. Anything else is inexcusable.

ETA - I've been thinking about it, and I want to change "when kids are around" to "when anyone you haven't personally 'trained' and trust to treat every gun they see as loaded are around"...

This house policy is simply locked up or on your person. Much simpler that way.
tt3

Postby gunshop guy on Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:50 am

My wife is dispatching me to buy a small lock box for her home defense gun. She wants it closer but locked.
It's usually locked in the main safe.
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell. ~C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain
http://www.christiangunowners.net/
gunshop guy

Postby jaysong on Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:40 am

How tragic. Preventable, but tragic. My heart gos out to the family and this little girl. Locked up or on your person. How long will it take to see exploitation of this little girl? Sad, sad, sad.
Professional Firearms Training, LLC.
http://www.mngunclass.com MN Carry Permit
jaysong

Postby hammAR on Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:43 am

Locked up, lets pass a effen law, locked up, disassembled, and trigger locks........
lets just ban them and get it over with..
........you guys sound one step away from the District of Columbia Council............ :twisted:

All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby jgalt on Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:52 pm

hammAR wrote:Locked up, lets pass a effen law, locked up, disassembled, and trigger locks........
........you guys sound one step away from the District of Columbia Council............ :twisted:

Good golly no - no effen laws! What I find acceptable, or unacceptable, is the 'law' in my home. What you do - whether you agree with me or not - is whatever you do (so long as you aren't in my home). The effen government needs to keep their effen laws off / out of my effen property!
jgalt

Postby jaysong on Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:29 pm

hammAR wrote:Locked up, lets pass a effen law, locked up, disassembled, and trigger locks........

Who said anything about creating a law??? I think people should have training, but I disagree that it shoudl be mandated by law. The permit training done is not enough IMO but I do not advocate a law to require more. I do not understand how you think ".......you guys sound one step away from the District of Columbia Council............" Please explain. :?:
Professional Firearms Training, LLC.
http://www.mngunclass.com MN Carry Permit
jaysong

Return to In The News