Obama use Executive power to move gun control forward

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Obama use Executive power to move gun control forward

Postby LarryP on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:26 am

LarryP

Re: Obama use Executive power to move gun control forward

Postby Heffay on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:30 am

So, in other words no real changes, just more executive orders?
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby sansooshooter on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:22 pm

He is a pseudo president/king. More ruling class cake for the peasants!!!!
sansooshooter

Postby Hmac on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:53 pm

Obama clearly outlined his executive actions on gun control back in January. No news here. No apparent deviation from what he's already outlined.

1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background-check system.

2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background-check system.

3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background- check system.

4. Direct the attorney general to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.

5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.

Urgent: : Should Obama Ban Guns? Vote in Poll

6. Publish a letter from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and Explosives (ATF) to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.

7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.

8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).

9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.

10. Release a Department of Justice report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.

11. Nominate an ATF director.

12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.

13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.

14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

15. Direct the attorney general to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun-safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

17. Release a letter to healthcare providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.

18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.

19. Develop model emergency-response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.

20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.

21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within Affordable Care Act exchanges.

22. Commit to finalizing mental-health parity regulations.

23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.

Hmac

Postby Heffay on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:54 pm

Hmac wrote:Obama clearly outlined his executive actions on gun control back in January. No news here. No apparent deviation from what he's already outlined.

1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background-check system.

2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background-check system.

3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background- check system.

4. Direct the attorney general to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.

5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.

6. Publish a letter from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and Explosives (ATF) to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.

7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.

8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).

9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.

10. Release a Department of Justice report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.

12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.

13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.

14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

15. Direct the attorney general to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun-safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

17. Release a letter to healthcare providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.

19. Develop model emergency-response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.

20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.

21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within Affordable Care Act exchanges.

23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.

Trying to find out where in that list "infringing" is happening. Not seeing it.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby jstiegs on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:44 pm

To infringe is to limit. How can you deny he is trying to limit our rights? The trolls get old on here!
jstiegs

Postby Heffay on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:53 pm

jstiegs wrote:To infringe is to limit. How can you deny he is trying to limit our rights? The trolls get old on here!

In this list? Can you show me where?
Heffay

Postby farmerj on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:04 pm

Hmac wrote:Obama clearly outlined his executive actions on gun control back in January. No news here. No apparent deviation from what he's already outlined.

1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background-check system. This ACTUALLY makes sense. It should have been done a LONG time ago.

2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background-check system.This ACTUALLY makes sense. It should have been done a LONG time ago.

3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background- check system.This ACTUALLY makes sense. It should have been done a LONG time ago.

5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.This ACTUALLY makes sense. It should have been done a LONG time ago.

6. Publish a letter from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and Explosives (ATF) to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.This ACTUALLY makes sense. It should have been done a LONG time ago.

7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.This ACTUALLY makes sense. It should have been done a LONG time ago.

10. Release a Department of Justice report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.Fix your own accountability issues here first.

12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.This ACTUALLY makes sense. It should have been done a LONG time ago.

13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.This ACTUALLY makes sense. It should have been done a LONG time ago.

20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.This ACTUALLY makes sense. It should have been done a LONG time ago.

23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.This ACTUALLY makes sense. It should have been done a LONG time ago.

We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby Hmac on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:05 pm

Heffay wrote:

Yeah, AFAIK, this is the extent of Obama's executive action on "the gun problem". I don't see how this "moves gun control forward". Maybe the OP has more specific information on additional or planned executive action?

"Gun control by Executive Order" was a big bugaboo that many gun rights advocates, including the NRA, were scare-mongering about a few months ago. If this list is what Obama came up with, it means that he was advised that he indeed did not have the executive power to create new laws.
Hmac

Postby Heffay on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:30 pm

Hmac wrote:
Heffay wrote:

Yeah, AFAIK, this is the extent of Obama's executive action on "the gun problem". I don't see how this "moves gun control forward". Maybe the OP has more specific information on additional or planned executive action?

"Gun control by Executive Order" was a big bugaboo that many gun rights advocates, including the NRA, were scare-mongering about a few months ago. If this list is what Obama came up with, it means that he was advised that he indeed did not have the executive power to create new laws.

My guess is what the OP wanted to do was yell OBAMA loudly.
Heffay

Postby oldhunter on Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:32 pm

Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

No doctor is going to ask me about guns in my home. If he does I'll tell him to f***k off.

Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background-check system.

These proposals were in Hillstroms bill.
oldhunter

Postby river_boater on Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:36 pm

Old news is old.
river_boater

Postby LarryP on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:12 pm

Saying that is the same as saying yes, I have guns. :o

oldhunter wrote:
Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

No doctor is going to ask me about guns in my home. If he does I'll tell him to f***k off.

]
LarryP

Postby Hmac on Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:11 pm

oldhunter wrote:

There's no need to be rude. You can just politely decline to answer. It will save you the trouble of having to find another doctor after he fires you.
Hmac

Postby river_boater on Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:21 pm

Hmac wrote:
oldhunter wrote:

There's no need to be rude. You can just politely decline to answer. It will save you the trouble of having to find another doctor after he fires you.

Really. Why would you do this? It's not like he cares what your answer is. Just say no if you don't like the question.

If you really want to bitch, call the hospital system or organization he works for.
river_boater

Next

Return to In The News