About that %40

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

About that %40

Postby connsolo on Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:31 pm

Old news to some. Chris Rager did a nice job of explaining this to our Reps a few weeks ago. Unfortunately Sen. Latz didn't get the message, because he used the old 40% of guns are sold without background checks as a keystone to his closing argument for SF 458 (along with a tired analogy of building a dam that only covers 60% of a river). Anywho, after getting a response email from Sen. Al Frankin in which the bogus 40% figure was quoted yet again, I broke down and googled it. Here for your reading pleasure is everything you need to know about the erroneous 40% number. Enjoy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fac ... _blog.html
connsolo

Re: About that %40

Postby westhope on Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:05 pm

... (along with a tired analogy of building a dam that only covers 60% of a river).

In Owatonna, MN there is a dam that crosses about 50 % of the river, it works fine. It controls the water level in the river yet lets fish pass if they want. Kind of what laws should do. Control criminals not others.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby mn4wheeler on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:18 pm

how are "they" able to put the number on private sales? if no NICS check is performed, how do "they" know about it? I think the 40% is BS.
mn4wheeler

Postby harryset on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:35 pm

Pass all of the background check laws you want, how are they going to enforce me checking the sale or me giving a firearm to someone else?? Can't be done, unless the guns are registered in my name to some agency.
stercus accidit
It's not the LAWS you necessarily have to worry about, it's how the laws are regulated.

Send Me
harryset

Return to In The News