CC holder vs armed robber in WI

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby connsolo on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:32 pm

Remember when that Milwaukee CC holder shot an armed robber inside a grocery store? It was a big deal, something about how the store was posted but he was carrying anyway. Anywho, here it is on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqkqzsIj ... e=youtu.be
connsolo

Re: CC holder vs armed robber in WI

Postby Scratch on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:20 pm

Anyone know if the CC holder was charged with anything?
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Hmac on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:40 pm

He wasn't charged, either with assault or with trespass (in Wisconsin I believe ignoring a "no guns" sign makes one guilty of trespass...unlike Minnesota).
Hmac

Postby shackleford on Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:31 pm

Yep, no charges filed. Robber got 8 years or so.

http://www.wisn.com/news/south-east-wis ... index.html
shackleford

Postby lizard55033 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:37 pm

Got lucky that no charges were filed due to the guy was on the way out the store...
lizard55033

Postby Hmac on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:08 pm

lizard55033 wrote:Got lucky that no charges were filed due to the guy was on the way out the store...

Yeah, I was curious about that. Looks to me like the CCW guy shot the perp while he was on the way out. That plus the trespassing thing does indeed make him lucky, IMHO.
Hmac

Postby Exjay on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:54 pm

Just my opinion, but he should of just let him leave. He isnt law enforcement. Its not his job to shoot bad guys in the back.
Exjay

Postby shackleford on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Yeah, I'm not so sure I want to involve myself in a gunfight over the grocery store's money..especially to chase after the robber. Although its a lot easier to say what I would/woudnt do from behind a keyboard though. Hopefully never have to find out.
shackleford

Postby LarryP on Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:54 pm

Mr Dirty Harry was a idiot IMO.

Besides, in that video everyone looked like the bad guy lol
LarryP

Postby MasonK on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:21 am

Call him what you want, but this appears to be a good training video on the proper way to handle using a firearm in a crowded area.

He identified the threat, moved to a position of increased cover, looked for a second gunman, did not deploy his weapon until after the BG had taken his gun off the associate, waited to bring his weapon to bear until after the BG was in a position where the backdrop was clear.

Shooting an armed robber isn't about store money; its about the possibility that he has opportunity and motive to shoot you. A real Dirty Harry would have taken the shot when the gun was in the girl's face. This guy couldn't have done it much more right.
MasonK

Postby xd ED on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:44 am

MasonK wrote:Call him what you want, but this appears to be a good training video on the proper way to handle using a firearm in a crowded area.

He identified the threat, moved to a position of increased cover, looked for a second gunman, did not deploy his weapon until after the BG had taken his gun off the associate, waited to bring his weapon to bear until after the BG was in a position where the backdrop was clear.

Shooting an armed robber isn't about store money; its about the possibility that he has opportunity and motive to shoot you. A real Dirty Harry would have taken the shot when the gun was in the girl's face. This guy couldn't have done it much more right.

If I interpret the youtube comments correctly, The following was posted by: "...[the] guy [who ] couldn't have done it much more right..."
No need to argue with hypothesizers. It was posted to show a real life situation where seconds counted. Unfortunately there is no audio so you can't hear his threats of blowing off heads and wanting more even AFTER he had the money . He is living because I had my safety on & took it off AFTER I pulled the trigger (lesson learned) or he would have been shot while he had his gun to the pregnant cashier's head w finger on trigger. The patrons, unarmed security, & cashiers were there & were thankful

Sometimes you're good, sometimes you're lucky.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby MasonK on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:52 am

I'll look it over again. It didn't look like he had his gun out that early, but I watched on an iPhone.
MasonK

Postby tman on Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:05 pm

doubletap.
Last edited by tman on Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby tman on Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:10 pm

MasonK wrote:I'll look it over again. It didn't look like he had his gun out that early, but I watched on an iPhone.

He pulled it almost right away. You can't see it from the first camera angle.

This is a great teaching tool. We watch the video and see that it looks like the robber was on his way out the door. The person who was actually there, tells us the badguy was STILL threatening to kill people.

I admit to having the "what I saw on video wasn't enough" bias, too.

One more thing: from the youtube comments posted above, he FORGOT to disengage the safety under stress. My off duty carry WAS a 1911 until last year, but I switched for this very reason. I now carry Austrian plastic all the time. Food for thought.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby xd ED on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:33 pm

tman wrote:
MasonK wrote:I'll look it over again. It didn't look like he had his gun out that early, but I watched on an iPhone.

He pulled it almost right away. You can't see it from the first camera angle.

This is a great teaching tool. We watch the video and see that it looks like the robber was on his way out the door. The person who was actually there, tells us the badguy was STILL threatening to kill people.

I admit to having the "what I saw on video wasn't enough" bias, too.

One more thing: from the youtube comments posted above, he FORGOT to disengage the safety under stress. My off duty carry WAS a 1911 until last year, but I switched for this very reason. I now carry Austrian plastic all the time. Food for thought.

I like Croatian plastic for the same reason
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Next

Return to In The News