US: Survial Training on Campus Curriculum

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

US: Survial Training on Campus Curriculum

Postby Ironbear on Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:31 am

Remedial training?
Sheepdog 101!?!

http://www.theconservativevoice.com/ap/article.html?mi=D92Q5G400&apc=9001

Survival training joins curriculum as colleges confront problem of campus shootings
Tuesday, August 26, 2008 02:19:16 PM

Hundreds of colleges across the nation have purchased a training program that teaches professors and students not to take campus threats lying down but to fight back with any "improvised weapon," from a backpack to a laptop computer.

The program – which includes a video showing a gunman opening fire in a packed classroom – urges them to be ready to respond to a shooter by taking advantage of the inherent strength in numbers.

It reflects a new response at colleges and universities where grisly memories of the campus shootings at Virginia Tech and Northern Illinois University are still fresh.

"Look at your environment through the lens of survival," said Domenick Brouillette, who administered the course at Metropolitan Community College, which serves more than 20,000 students. "Survivors prepare themselves both mentally and emotionally to do what it takes. It might involve life-threatening risk. You may do something you never thought you were capable of doing."

Nearly 300 professors at Metropolitan Community College were shown the video as part of a training exercise before the first day of classes on this downtown campus. The training, produced by the Center for Personal Protection and Safety, a for-profit firm based in Spokane, Wash., is also available for the school's students.

The training drills teachers and students in a "survival mindset," said Randy Spivey, a former U.S. Department of Defense hostage negotiator who is executive director of the center. The center's roster includes retired FBI agents and others with federal law enforcement experience.

"There are two extremes. On the one hand is paranoia, and on the other is oblivion," he said. "We're just trying to get people to keep this on their radar."

The training discourages cowering in a corner or huddling together in fear, Brouillette emphasized at the Kansas City session.

Instead, Metropolitan Community College faculty members were taught to be aware of their surroundings and to think of common classroom objects – such as laptops and backpacks – as "improvised weapons."

The program has been bought by nearly 500 colleges, which tailor the company's safety messages – laid out in instructional videos and other training guides – to craft localized violence prevention programs. Spivey expects that by year's end that number will have grown to about 1,000 schools.

Schools may provide the training to students as well as staff, as at Metropolitan, or limit it to instructors or security personnel.

Campus safety experts interviewed by The Associated Press said they are not aware of any similar survival training courses marketed specifically to college campuses.

"It's a dark subject," Brouillette said. "But we can't say 'It's never going to happen again.' It's 'When is it going to happen?' And we have to be prepared to survive that."

The sort of aggressive survival response cited by Brouillette troubles school violence researcher Loren Coleman, a retired University of Southern Maine professor.

Showing students violent images of school shootings could trigger post-traumatic stress or other reactions that resident advisers, graduate assistants and similarly untrained workers would be unequipped to handle, Coleman said.

And the techniques shown in instructional videos such as "Shots Fired" could provide inspiration for troubled students considering their own acts of violence, Coleman suggested.

"You more or less are giving them a blueprint for how to avoid law enforcement," he said.

At the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, officials are looking for ways to incorporate the training as part of the school's "Alert Carolina" program. Campus police chief Jeff McCracken said the school may offer hands-on training to students and faculty, or simply post a link on the university Web site.

Despite the relative rarity of deadly violence on campus, colleges can no longer assume that they are immune from such problems, McCracken said.

"I do think it's important that we talk to our folks and give them some guidance on how to protect themselves and others," he said. "It's not something that 10 years ago we thought we'd be talking about. But unfortunately, it's something we need to do now."

Todd Bowdish, a Metropolitan Community College life sciences professor who participated in the recent training session, agreed that today's classroom climate requires extreme caution.

"It's a really basic thing," Bowdish said. "We have drills for fires and tornadoes. This is just another tool for the toolbox."
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Re: US: Survial Training on Campus Curriculum

Postby Stradawhovious on Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:25 pm

Improvised weapon eh? God forbid we are allowed to defend against an attacker on a level playing field. That's rediculous... LET ME CARRY ON CAMPUS DAMMIT!!

"Just another one for the tool box"? My campus requires that my "tool box" for dealing with this type of threat is empty when I exit my car on campus.

Unacceptable.

:evil: :evil: :evil:
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby rucker on Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:25 pm

The sort of aggressive survival response cited by Brouillette troubles school violence researcher Loren Coleman, a retired University of Southern Maine professor.

Showing students violent images of school shootings could trigger post-traumatic stress or other reactions that resident advisers, graduate assistants and similarly untrained workers would be unequipped to handle, Coleman said.

:rotf: You know what... never mind then.... just sit there like a deer in the headlights :roll:
rucker

Postby rucker on Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:32 pm

This reminds me though... does anybody personally know anybody involved with Students For Concealed Carry On Campus?
rucker

Postby Pat on Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:59 pm

rucker wrote:This reminds me though... does anybody personally know anybody involved with Students For Concealed Carry On Campus?

Someone1980 was involved, or at least "in the know." Anybody know what he is up to?
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby justaguy on Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:10 am

rucker wrote:This reminds me though... does anybody personally know anybody involved with Students For Concealed Carry On Campus?

A member here is in it. Or was.
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Postby phorvick on Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:15 am

Although I (like most of the choir here probably) would prefer that it be easier for staff and students to legally carry on school/campus grounds, the concept of "anything can be a weapon" is not a bad thing to teach people, and not just in a school setting. People need to do that out of the box thinking...whether in a classroom, mall, restaurant etc.
Where did I leave the Tardis?
phorvick

Postby Ironbear on Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:09 am

phorvick wrote:...the concept of "anything can be a weapon" is not a bad thing to teach people, and not just in a school setting. People need to do that out of the box thinking...whether in a classroom, mall, restaurant etc.
Yes. And when the College "authorities" give tacit approval to improvised weapons, and non-"helpless victim" attitudes; it is not a far logical leap to non-improvised weapons, and a "not a victim" attitude. One can only hope that some of those students will doggedly pursue better options, while looking back sheepishly on past, passive views.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby BRIT_in_the_weeds on Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:00 pm

The title of the piece alone offends me :idea:

Since when has the will to live been considered "survival training"?
Far better it is to dare mighty things...than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat
T.Roosevelt 1899

Just me and the designated settee, in the weeds.8-)
Thread-F.U master Brit Pei Ying
1/ICC ;-) .1/ICC II.;-)
BRIT_in_the_weeds

Postby chunkstyle on Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:13 pm

BRIT_in_the_weeds wrote:The title of the piece alone offends me :idea:

= Being trained to not ignore your instincts?
"In his library at Simi Valley, dead Reagan waits dreaming"
chunkstyle

Postby BRIT_in_the_weeds on Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:42 pm

chunkstyle wrote:

= Being trained to not ignore your instincts?

:?:

And the training is to RETRAIN them from what they learned in school :roll:
Far better it is to dare mighty things...than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat
T.Roosevelt 1899

Just me and the designated settee, in the weeds.8-)
Thread-F.U master Brit Pei Ying
1/ICC ;-) .1/ICC II.;-)
BRIT_in_the_weeds

Postby nyffman on Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:29 pm

And the training is to RETRAIN them from what they learned in school

Yes they are, even if a couple years late.
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby Ironbear on Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:30 pm

Probably since the first man looked straight into a mouthful of very large teeth, and realized that living is what you got do to after you survived! :D
Ironbear

Return to In The News