British man hacked to death

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

British man hacked to death

Postby Snakeman721 on Wed May 22, 2013 2:27 pm

http://news.newsmax.com/?KKCv.WdZ.qhfqd ... de=1393E-1

How's that "no guns" policy working out for you in the UK?
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Re: British man hacked to death

Postby Heffay on Wed May 22, 2013 2:44 pm

Don't dance on graves.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby Snakeman721 on Wed May 22, 2013 2:49 pm

Heffay..................................shut up. I'll dance if I want to dance. :o
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Postby Northfield 556 on Wed May 22, 2013 6:10 pm

Oh man, I see where this is goin. :angryvillagers:
Northfield 556

Postby Deputyhiro on Wed May 22, 2013 6:15 pm

**** shocking.
It is better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.
Deputyhiro

Postby CarryCauseICan on Wed May 22, 2013 8:36 pm

All those "witnesses" and no one capable of stopping them, for 20 minutes, until police show up!
No one tried to help this soldier? I'd hope we're better than that over here?

BTW Pepper spray and most knives legal to carry here, are illegal to carry in the UK. (But you all probably already know that.)
https://www.gov.uk/find-out-if-i-can-bu ... ry-a-knife
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/americanservices/?p=198
although legal in the United States, are illegal in the United Kingdom
Molon Labe!
HEY! Once this girl said, "It's not You, It's Me". I said, "Dang Right It's You! You Heffer!" Si
CarryCauseICan

Postby Mn01r6 on Wed May 22, 2013 9:30 pm

Most people on this board insist their gun won't clear leather except for family. It is a sad commentary on society, IMHO.
Mn01r6

Postby 20mm on Wed May 22, 2013 9:33 pm

Heffay wrote:Don't dance on graves.

Why not?
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby greenfarmer on Wed May 22, 2013 9:38 pm

Mn01r6 wrote:Most people on this board insist their gun won't clear leather except for family. It is a sad commentary on society, IMHO.

It is sad, but you also have to remember, in your carry class, they basically tell you that if your gun comes out of leather, and you have to shoot, you can expect to go to jail until things are sorted out. And at that time you better have every witness there say you had no other choice, and that your actions were warranted. Was YOUR life in danger? No, it wasn't. So at that point you really have no legal obligation to do anything. You could hand your gun to your wife, and jump in the middle of it with a stick or something like that. But the minute you do something with your gun, even in a case like this, you could be in a lot of trouble. It sucks society and laws see it that way. When you can't do what would be humane, and what's right in your heart and in your conscience.

Atleast in the carry class I took PlaneCents, he told us his rule is. "If it's Kin, i'm in." I guess in a way, you almost have to go with that just because of society, and what reprecussions you could face, even though what your doing would be the right thing.
greenfarmer

Location: kinda by the SW Metro, but a little further out in the sticks.

Postby harryset on Wed May 22, 2013 10:21 pm

Northfield 556 wrote:Oh man, I see where this is goin. :angryvillagers:

You got it. The riots have already started over this.
stercus accidit
It's not the LAWS you necessarily have to worry about, it's how the laws are regulated.

Send Me
harryset

Postby Mn01r6 on Wed May 22, 2013 10:29 pm

greenfarmer wrote:
Mn01r6 wrote:Most people on this board insist their gun won't clear leather except for family. It is a sad commentary on society, IMHO.

It is sad, but you also have to remember, in your carry class, they basically tell you that if your gun comes out of leather, and you have to shoot, you can expect to go to jail until things are sorted out. And at that time you better have every witness there say you had no other choice, and that your actions were warranted. Was YOUR life in danger? No, it wasn't. So at that point you really have no legal obligation to do anything. You could hand your gun to your wife, and jump in the middle of it with a stick or something like that. But the minute you do something with your gun, even in a case like this, you could be in a lot of trouble. It sucks society and laws see it that way. When you can't do what would be humane, and what's right in your heart and in your conscience.

Atleast in the carry class I took PlaneCents, he told us his rule is. "If it's Kin, i'm in." I guess in a way, you almost have to go with that just because of society, and what reprecussions you could face, even though what your doing would be the right thing.

Imagine a few scenarios:

"he was hacking the guy up with a meat cleaver, so I snuck up and shot him in the back of the head."

"I drew my firearm and ordered him to stop hacking the dude up with a meat cleaver. He did not comply, and instead stood up and started towards me. I was in fear for my life at that moment and I shot to stop the threat."

"I drew my weapon and ordered him to stop hacking the dude up. He put down the meat cleaver and I held him at gunpoint until police arrived."

"I took a video with my cell phone to give to police and post on reddit for karma."

All four of these are potentially legal, but not in all circumstances. Two are chickensh*t and two are not.

I think instructors teach what they do because it is a bright line rule and they won't have any liability if you stray from the bright line rule they teach. It is a completely legal approach to self defense, but it is morally bankrupt and there is certainly a lot more you can do and have the law on your side. With that being said, the facts do get twisted and it all depends what the jury believes...but having the means to protect a stranger from further harm and not using it is appalling to me.

I hope I have the courage to knowingly confront the legal and bodily peril of this situation if I am ever faced with it.
Mn01r6

Postby goalie on Thu May 23, 2013 6:52 am

Mn01r6 wrote:All four of these are potentially legal, but not in all circumstances. Two are chickensh*t and two are not.

Really? Because the "back of the head" one seems the smartest to me......
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby Heffay on Thu May 23, 2013 6:53 am

goalie wrote:
Mn01r6 wrote:All four of these are potentially legal, but not in all circumstances. Two are chickensh*t and two are not.

The running away option seemed smartest to me, although it wasn't presented. Must have been implied.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby goalie on Thu May 23, 2013 7:45 am

Heffay wrote:
goalie wrote:

The running away option seemed smartest to me, although it wasn't presented. Must have been implied.

Usually I would agree, as I am one of those "morally bankrupt" individuals that puts my own family above strangers, especially in situations where everything is not crystal clear. As described, however, the situation was pretty damn clear.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby photogpat on Thu May 23, 2013 8:43 am

goalie wrote: As described, however, the situation was pretty damn clear.

What if the victim of the hacking in this case had just assaulted the perp's daughter/wife/etc? (Yes, I'm aware of the facts in this situation...afterwards...)

Nothing is crystal clear.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Next

Return to In The News