LA: Preparing for Gustav

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

LA: Preparing for Gustav

Postby rucker on Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:12 am

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/thegunshot ... ing-i.html

We just got a call from Devline Rossell, a charter captain based out of Venice, Louisiana. He was shopping in New Orleans to get some supplies before the arrival of Gustav (currently listed as a tropical storm that has left at least 22 dead in the Caribbean) and reported that the item most in demand was not food, clothing or shelter.

“I just left a sporting goods store and you would think that the number-one selling item would be plywood or potable water or gasoline right now,” he said. “Apparently it is AR-15s and .223 ammo. I watched at least 20 people buy AR-15s and cases of .223.”

Can’t say I’m surprised. After the nightmare that was Katrina I think it would be unwise for anyone to assume the state, local or federal government could guarantee his or her personal safety during a natural disaster. Of course, I think it is foolish to assume that under any circumstance.

The AR buying spree demonstrates that people don’t think of it as an “assault weapon” but rather an arm that is ideally suited for self-defense, which it is. I also suspect that for some of the folks this is their first firearm. Goes to show that not only is there no such thing as an atheist in a foxhole but that there is no such thing as a gun-control advocate in one either.
rucker

Re: LA: Preparing for Gustav

Postby justaguy on Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:19 am

rucker wrote: I also suspect that for some of the folks this is their first firearm.

That is obvious. Everyone that’s in the "know" knows that AK's are way better than AR's.
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Postby rucker on Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:22 am

justaguy wrote:
rucker wrote: I also suspect that for some of the folks this is their first firearm.

That is obvious. Everyone that’s in the "know" knows that AK's are way better than AR's.

:lol:
rucker

Postby rtk on Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:25 am

rucker wrote:
justaguy wrote:

:lol:

And cheaper to boot.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby rucker on Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:38 am

I would think they would be selling lots of these: http://www.mossberg.com/products/defaul ... =products#
51340.jpg

These would make a lot more sense for most people I think. Has anybody ever seen one of these in real life? How much, if any, ammo can you fit in the tube?
rucker

Postby rtk on Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:18 pm

rucker wrote:I would think they would be selling lots of these: http://www.mossberg.com/products/defaul ... =products#
51340.jpg

These would make a lot more sense for most people I think. Has anybody ever seen one of these in real life? How much, if any, ammo can you fit in the tube?

I did see one at Dick's last year or the year before. I took a quick look at it and then saw the price and continued on my way. I would agree that a scatter gun would be a better choice for a Katrina type disaster.
rtk

Postby rucker on Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:22 pm

rtk wrote:I did see one at Dick's last year or the year before. I took a quick look at it and then saw the price and continued on my way. I would agree that a scatter gun would be a better choice for a Katrina type disaster.

What were they asking for it? Buds lists the kit for $304 which seems pretty reasonable.
rucker

Postby 1911fan on Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:38 pm

I met a man today who is a pastor of a Church in NOLA< he was up here dropping his son off at college when we met, When he said where he was from, we got to talking while our kids were in line for ID's and book lists, and I offered what aid I could if something happened, and I asked about protection, and he said he had some, but his parishioners had gone from passive to very pro active this time, realizing that even if you survived the hurricane, but failed to prepare for the aftermath, you were just as dead.

I will be keeping in contact with this pastor throughout, so I may be heading down after if they need help, He said of all the houses in his district, all were being rebuilt with a sacrificial first floor, meaning its either parking, or simple storage or just block walls with blow out panels to keep the water from destroying whats good, He said they were under 6 to 7 foot of water last time, now it will have to reach 9 foot to damage the living space.
1911fan

Postby rtk on Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:57 pm

rucker wrote:
rtk wrote:I did see one at Dick's last year or the year before. I took a quick look at it and then saw the price and continued on my way. I would agree that a scatter gun would be a better choice for a Katrina type disaster.

What were they asking for it? Buds lists the kit for $304 which seems pretty reasonable.

I cannot remember exactly but I think it was around 4 bills.
rtk

Postby justaguy on Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:35 pm

rucker wrote:

Rucker are you thinking about buying one of these?
WWTNSTKBLD
justaguy

Postby rucker on Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:39 pm

justaguy wrote:
rucker wrote:

Rucker are you thinking about buying one of these?

Don't be digging around in my backyard! :shameonyou:

No... I'm broke; it's just one of the things I will get if I win the lottery. :lol:
rucker

Postby justaguy on Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:00 pm

If you buy a PVC pipe you probably already have the rest. And everything is better quality. Unless you have a Mossberg.

And it's when not if you win the lottery.
WWTNSTKBLD
justaguy

Postby Ironbear on Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:14 pm

justaguy wrote:That is obvious. Everyone that’s in the "know" knows that AK's are way better than AR's.

An oldie but goodie.....

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinHumor.htm
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby Squib Joe on Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:19 pm

We had a couple of the JIC tubes crack for unknown reasons. I don't think we'll be stocking that package in the future.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby westberg on Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:36 pm

Squib Joe wrote:We had a couple of the JIC tubes crack for unknown reasons. I don't think we'll be stocking that package in the future.

Was it after they were buried? :shock:
westberg

Next

Return to In The News