Virginia: Gun Sales Rise, Crime Falls

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Virginia: Gun Sales Rise, Crime Falls

Postby gunsmith on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:02 pm

The Media is the opposition. This from Breitbart. More guns, less crime, literally.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government ... n-Virginia

In a real life demonstration of scholar John Lott's maxim "more guns, less crime," violent crime has dropped in Virginia as gun ownership has increased.

According to a Fox News report, firearms sales in Virginia were 16 percent higher in 2012 over 2011 and violent crime went down by 5 percent.

Perhaps the significance of this is best seen in the raw numbers: In 2012 licensed gun dealers sold 490,119 guns in their state, while the number of violent crimes for the same time period was 4,378.

Virginia Commonwealth University assistant professor Thomas R. Baker commented on the numbers: "This appears to be additional evidence that more guns don't necessarily lead to more crime."
gunsmith

Re: Virginia: Gun Sales Rise, Crime Falls

Postby Heffay on Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:32 am

Correlation does not equal causation.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby Shawski on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:10 am

Heffay wrote:Correlation does not equal causation.

Except in Virginia, obviously.
Shawski

Postby Hmac on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:12 am

They used to say that about cigarette smoking and lung cancer.
Hmac

Postby Heffay on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:20 am

Hmac wrote:

Well, do we have similar evidence that the reduction in crime is due to gun ownership rates?

Also, does that mean we now support abortion, because there is a correlation between legalization of abortion and a decrease in crime as well?
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby Hmac on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:28 am

Heffay wrote:
Hmac wrote:

Well, do we have similar evidence that the reduction in crime is due to gun ownership rates?

It took almost 18 years of study to get that cigarette evidence. First they noticed the empiric correlation, then they had to take the time to establish the cause/effect.

So, the answer to your question is..."not yet".
Hmac

Postby Heffay on Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:13 am

Hmac wrote:It took almost 18 years of study to get that cigarette evidence. First they noticed the empiric correlation, then they had to take the time to establish the cause/effect.

Ok, so maybe we should stop saying that increasing guns decreases crime until the studies are complete? Just makes us look like we don't understand the scientific method, and the gun community already has a hard enough time sounding legitimate when talking sciencey stuff.
Heffay

Postby Hmac on Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:06 pm

Heffay wrote:
Hmac wrote:It took almost 18 years of study to get that cigarette evidence. First they noticed the empiric correlation, then they had to take the time to establish the cause/effect.

Ok, so maybe we should stop saying that increasing guns decreases crime until the studies are complete? Just makes us look like we don't understand the scientific method, and the gun community already has a hard enough time sounding legitimate when talking sciencey stuff.

I agree with that. The only studies I've seen (two) where any form of regression analysis was applied showed NO correlation where more guns = less crime, but iirc they were crappy studies with deep political overtones.

Unlike smoking/cancer back then, I suspect that all the data is already out there but the substantially greater number of variables and the politics may disallow proving either way.
Hmac

Postby Jeff Bergquist on Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:42 pm

Heffay wrote:

It is however, decent circumstantial evidence to counter the anti's "blood in the streets" arguments, since while causation is not proved, it does make it much harder to support their position.
The bold type giveth, the fine print taketh away.
Jeff Bergquist

Postby Hmac on Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:46 pm

Jeff Bergquist wrote:
Heffay wrote:

It is however, decent circumstantial evidence to counter the anti's "blood in the streets" arguments, since while causation is not proved, it does make it much harder to support their position.

I think that's valid. Increasing guns doesn't necessarily result in decreasing crime, but there certainly is no data to support the idea that more guns = more crime
Hmac

Return to In The News