I told you so.

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

I told you so.

Postby river_boater on Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:07 am

Not because I'm a genius. Or because I know something you do not. I just knew this would happen, and I told you so. Years ago.

We will never again be able to use the phrase, "hey, it's a free country." again.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/06/us/ts ... =rss&_r=4&
river_boater

Re: I told you so.

Postby LarryFlew on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:43 am

Do they have the SS ensignia too?
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby xd ED on Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:43 am

LarryFlew wrote:Do they have the SS ensignia too?

You might check around the Lake St lrt stop; they- the tsa, have been known to protect that spot as well.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby DoxaPar on Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:35 am

Must be the sequester.
DoxaPar

Postby Heffay on Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:37 am

VIPR?? Holy ****, do these people think they are super heroes living in comic-book land??
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby photogpat on Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:48 am

I saw these guys at Target Field last summer. I went up and asked them about their operational jurisdiction and was told to "move along".

After three phone calls to the local TSA office I was told that they were allowed to patrol areas "sensitive to the light rail line since it runs under the International Airport, and through federal property at Fort Snelling and the VA Hospital".

I'm certain my inquiry, and this post, have put me on numerous watch lists. *waves at NSA*
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Evad on Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:58 am

Heffay wrote:VIPR?? Holy ****, do these people think they are super heroes living in comic-book land??

Not comic-book land. These heros walk amongst us. We don't recognize them until they don their crime fighting outfits. Until that point, it could be either of the guys licking the walk button at the cosswalk.
Evad

Postby Heffay on Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:04 am

photogpat wrote:I saw these guys at Target Field last summer. I went up and asked them about their operational jurisdiction and was told to "move along".

Operational jurisdiction? You should have asked for a free courtesy rub-down like they give you at the airport! Heck, give each of them a chance to practice to their ball-fondling skills don't get rusty!
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby MasonK on Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:33 am

T.S.A. officials respond that the random searches are “special needs” or “administrative searches” that are exempt from probable cause because they further the government’s need to prevent terrorist attacks.

This is a very, very scary statement.
MasonK

Postby darkwolf45 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:53 am

Well, they make the rules and have sole authority to interpret the rules, so of course it is all perfectly justified!! :roll:
darkwolf45
Banned

Postby Uffdaphil on Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:41 am

"T.S.A. officials respond that the random searches are “special needs” or “administrative searches” that are exempt from probable cause because they further the government’s need to prevent terrorist attacks."

The quoted rationale literally states that random searches increase the likelihood of terrorist attacks. Appropriate unintended irony.
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby Jeff Bergquist on Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:57 pm

MasonK wrote:
T.S.A. officials respond that the random searches are “special needs” or “administrative searches” that are exempt from probable cause because they further the government’s need to prevent terrorist attacks.

This is a very, very scary statement.

Basically it says that our rights only matter when the government says they do, corroboration of something we've been learning over the years.
The bold type giveth, the fine print taketh away.
Jeff Bergquist

Postby Mn01r6 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:50 pm

I wonder how that will play in Minnesota in light of the Ascher decision.

The Minnesota Supreme Court in Ascher v. Minn. DPS wrote:The real issue in this case is not, as some might phrase it, whether the police conduct in question is reasonable in some abstract sense, nor is it whether the police procedure is in some sense effective. Rather, the issue is whether the state has met its burden of articulating a persuasive reason for departure from the general requirement of individualized suspicion — as by showing, for example, (a) that it is impractical to require the police to develop individualized suspicion and that a departure from the individualized suspicion requirement will significantly help police achieve a higher arrest rate than they can achieve using more conventional means of apprehending alcohol-impaired drivers and (b) that this outweighs the interests of ordinary citizens in not having their privacy or their freedom of movement interfered with by police investigators who do not have any reason to suspect them of wrongdoing.
Mn01r6

Postby fjrdc on Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:28 pm

papers?? travel documents????! What next, digital retinal scanning to access public transportation ? :shock: For the good of the many?
" Little By Little One Travels Far"
fjrdc

I told you so.

Postby river_boater on Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:04 pm

Mn01r6 wrote:I wonder how that will play in Minnesota in light of the Ascher decision.

The Minnesota Supreme Court in Ascher v. Minn. DPS wrote:The real issue in this case is not, as some might phrase it, whether the police conduct in question is reasonable in some abstract sense, nor is it whether the police procedure is in some sense effective. Rather, the issue is whether the state has met its burden of articulating a persuasive reason for departure from the general requirement of individualized suspicion — as by showing, for example, (a) that it is impractical to require the police to develop individualized suspicion and that a departure from the individualized suspicion requirement will significantly help police achieve a higher arrest rate than they can achieve using more conventional means of apprehending alcohol-impaired drivers and (b) that this outweighs the interests of ordinary citizens in not having their privacy or their freedom of movement interfered with by police investigators who do not have any reason to suspect them of wrongdoing.

Interesting. Since DHS is a federal agency I'm not sure it would matter.
river_boater

Next

Return to In The News