Ohio Firearms Instructor Shoots Student

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Ohio Firearms Instructor Shoots Student

Postby rugersol on Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:02 am

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/13/ohio-instructor-shoots-student-in-gun-safety-class/

The Columbus Dispatch reports 73-year-old Terry J. Dunlap Sr. was demonstrating a hand gun on Saturday at a training facility when he fired a bullet that bounced off a desk and into the right arm of Michael Piemonte.

Piemonte tells the newspaper it appears that Dunlap did not know that the gun was loaded.

Is this not the same guy that did basically the same thing ... like, jest last year?!

Do ya not lose yer teaching "permit" (whatever) once ya shoot someone in yer class ... by "accident"?!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Re: Ohio Firearms Instructor Shoots Student

Postby gunsmith on Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:33 pm

...."Who was your instructor?" The Glock Fo-Tay Guy. :D :D :D

I think it's officially up to 80 Quadrillion views on You Tube.
gunsmith

Postby 20mm on Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:35 pm

I'd cut the guy some slack. He probably doesn't remember where he parked, what side of the road to drive on, or who his friends and family are. Nobody was killed and it's a good classroom safety reminder they won't soon forget.

It all worked out!
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby Hmac on Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:46 pm

20mm wrote:I'd cut the guy some slack. He probably doesn't remember where he parked, what side of the road to drive on, or who his friends and family are. Nobody was killed and it's a good classroom safety reminder they won't soon forget.

It all worked out!

Yeh, I've seen some instructors like that.
Hmac

Postby IDPA Shooter on Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:17 pm

Author and world class firearms instructor John Farnam sent this note out to his Quips mailing list:

13 Aug 13

Dear Guys

You get what you pay for!

Watch these experts!

/John

No idea what his class cost, but I'm sure there was no extra charge for the ND. It pays to get a reference or 2 before signing up cause hey they only wanted $60 for the 3 hour class, may or may not be a deal.

I don't see any other incidents in a Google search of his name, but, as others have said before, this definitely makes all of look bad, particularly instructors.
Last edited by IDPA Shooter on Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Jahn NRA CRSO, IDPA 5 Gunner
USCCA Certified Training Counselor
NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun, Advanced Pistol Instructor
Massad Ayoob Group Instructor
Defense Training Intl (John Farnam) Instructor

http://www.rejfirearmstraining.com
IDPA Shooter

Postby Thunder71 on Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:20 pm

Human error strikes again.

...and some of you think the best safety is between your ears!

;)
Thunder71

Return to In The News