4 Teens Arrested in Mugging, Murder of 87-Year-Old WWII Vet

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby gunsmith on Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:43 am

Beloved veteran, 87, known in the local community for his hot tamales killed by four teens during violent mugging

According to his obituary, Thornton was a war veteran and retired electrician who kept a liquor store on the side to support his family.

He served as a minesweeper for the Navy.

He was known in the Delta region for his award-winning Maria’s Famous Hot Tamales, which he began cooking in 1984, named after his wife, Mary.

According to Southern Foodways, Shine entered the hot tamale business with a jerry-rigged recipe he got from a friend, and added his own spin to it.

Thornton earned his nickname Shine in high school when he began picking out the notes to ‘You are My Sunshine’ during the intermission of a performance.

Members of the band started calling him Sunshine and eventually shortened it to Shine, according to his obituary.

His sunny disposition was still with him as he grew older. According to the website he would sell his snacks out of the custom built kitchen in his home and sit with customers, often playing the fiddle to entertain his guests.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2j0IULjUN
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I again find myself speechless with the contrast between good and evil in this story. Listen to that youtube vid and you'll hear the old man talking about his 'hottamales' he pronounces it as one word and it must be a 'Mississippi thing'

The idea of

Orphanages,
Reform Schools,
Three strikes / you're out
Life in Prison
Public Execution

is growing on me.

I think Texas is doing a lot of things right...including being #1 in executing murderers.

Why wasn't the old man carrying?
gunsmith

Re: 4 Teens Arrested in Mugging, Murder of 87-Year-Old WWII Vet

Postby LePetomane on Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:04 am

If the guy were carrying and popped these African American thugs he would have been dragged through the mud like George Zimmerman. More black on white crime that the race pimps won't mention.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby Bignuts on Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:04 am

I pray for them all.

Brett
Bignuts

Re:

Postby shotz90s on Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:01 am

Bignuts wrote:I pray for them all.

Brett

You're a better person than I. I hope they burn in hell.
shotz90s

Postby LePetomane on Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:58 am

I pray that these 4 little criminals never walk the streets again and fry in hell.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby jshuberg on Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:59 pm

We should burn them alive in the town square.

As a society we need to get back to personal accountability. We need to get back to loathing and hating criminals, not emulating them in video games. We need to get back to harsh and speedy penalties for those who inflict violence on others. These people are less than worthless, and should be treated as such.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Makarov on Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:04 pm

:iagree:

I've always wondered if the "school shootings" would have even happened if loathing and hating criminals by the MSM was the normal way of thinking.
Instead, they focus loathing and hate on the gun used. :evil:
Makarov

Postby jshuberg on Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:26 pm

By vilifying the gun, by engaging in a decades long "reefer madness" style propaganda campaign against firearms ownership, they've inadvertently escalated the firearm to mythical status. Rather than a firearm being a tool, a means of defending against violence, it's this terrible horrible killing machine that everyone fears. People even fear pop tarts that are eaten into the approximate shape of a firearm!!

When people realize that the fantasy world they were promised throughout childhood doesn't exist, those with the weakest minds find themselves unprepared for the reality of life, are unable to adjust the way most people figure out how to. These people occasionally lash out at the world, at the people they blame for lying to them. Those that promised them a world that never existed. They get one of those evil killing machine things that everyone fears, and show everyone how important they actually are.

People wonder why schools and teachers are often the targets of violence at the hands of the mentally ill. My suspicion is that those nutjobs blame their schools and teachers for preparing them for a world that never actually existed. It seems to me they either attack those people who lied to them, or attack people randomly while jumping into the deep end of the fantasy.

This is entirely preventable by simply preparing people for the world that actually exists, rather than some academic vision of how people think the world should be. That and by ending the vilification, and thus the mystification of firearms. If kids were taken hunting, to the shooting range, to a firearm safety class at school, it's no longer that evil killing machine, and no more mystical than a kitchen knife.

When people say that times are different now than they used to be, and the world is more dangerous, they're right. Children are being lied to as to what life is actually like, and what firearms actually are. What we need is a reintroduction of some cold hard *honesty* into education to fix the problem.

These four in the story aren't mentally ill and lashing out at a society they were never prepared for, they are just plain evil.

End of rant.......
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby gunsmith on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:33 pm

Anybody listen to the YouTube vid?
You can hear the flicker of his humanity. He's pushing 90, he's a harmless old man who just wants to live out his remaining days in peace and he's murdered by four Maggots for the few bills in his wallet.

You kind of want to invent creative ways, medieval ways of executing these thugs...maybe borrow a technique from the Mexican Drug Thugs of suspending the body in a 55 gallon drum of Acid. I think "Justice" calls for a little 'Cruelty' regardless of what's in the Constitution.

However 'Humanely' we execute these Maggots...couldn't we at least do it IN PUBLIC WHERE "THE CHILDREN" could watch and learn?

His nickname was 'Shine' after sunshine, Photo of Lawrence “Shine” Thornton, with his wife during wartime.

Lawrence “Shine” Thornton, 87.jpg

The widower at 87.

Lawrence “Shine” Thornton, 87 2.jpg
gunsmith

Postby gunsmith on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:44 am

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government ... avy-Honors

Eighty-seven-year-old World War II veteran Lawrence E. "Shine" Thornton was an American hero and a beloved man in his community in the Delta region in Mississippi. He passed away after four teenagers attacked him in his driveway and stole his wallet.

The funeral had a US Navy Honor Guard and an honor guard from his local Knights of Columbus. He was a Fireman First Class on the USS Herald in the Pacific Theater during World War II and a Fourth Degree Knight with the Knights of Columbus. His daughter-in-law Laura Thornton described it on her Facebook wall:
'It's been a tough but beautiful day. Tough because we said our final goodbyes to our beloved Pa Shine but beautiful because it was the type of day he would have loved,' she said.

'It was a beautiful blue sky day. The funeral mass was perfect--from the Knights of Columbus Honor Guard, to the homily, to the beautiful music, to the Navy Honor Guard at the cemetery, to the delicious meal we enjoyed together afterwards with family and friends--he would have loved every minute of it!'

In 1984 he began cooking Maria's Famous Hot Tamales, named after his wife Mary. The tamales won many awards and in 2012 he was named the Delta Hot Tamale Festival winner. He loved to sell snacks out of his kitchen and would sit with his customers while playing the fiddle. Everyone loved him. He was an electrician and owned a local liquor store.

He drank coffee from the same mug every single morning at Jim's Cafe. The mug was in commemoration of the Herald. The cafe tied a black ribbon on his usual chair and placed the mug on the table in a silent memorial to their favorite customer.

He is survived by his two sons, seven grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.

Local business owners pooled together money to offer an award for any information about the suspected murderers. Leslie Litt, 18, Geblonski Murray, 18, Terrance Morgan, 19, and Edward Johnson, 19, were arrested and charged with capital murder, robbery and conspiracy to commit robbery. They could face the death penalty. They are being held with bond set between $2 and $3 million.
gunsmith

Postby shotz90s on Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:13 am

I am just at a loss as to how these destructive parasites are raised in our society. OK, not really given the lack of personal responsibility and entitlement that has reached destructive levels. Parenting seems to have gone by the wayside in some of these cases, kids have absolutely no regard for human life and see it fitting to take what they want like savages. There should be a mass of pitchforks, torches and shotguns marching upon the jail where these sh*theads are being held. They can only arrest so many before they are overrun. Take them to the nearest tree and hang each one, hoping that their necks are not broken and its a tortured death for all of them. How you can do this to such a sweet old man is just beyond me.

Kill em all and let God sort it out.
shotz90s

Postby LePetomane on Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:55 pm

jshuberg wrote:By vilifying the gun, by engaging in a decades long "reefer madness" style propaganda campaign against firearms ownership, they've inadvertently escalated the firearm to mythical status. Rather than a firearm being a tool, a means of defending against violence, it's this terrible horrible killing machine that everyone fears. People even fear pop tarts that are eaten into the approximate shape of a firearm!!

When people realize that the fantasy world they were promised throughout childhood doesn't exist, those with the weakest minds find themselves unprepared for the reality of life, are unable to adjust the way most people figure out how to. These people occasionally lash out at the world, at the people they blame for lying to them. Those that promised them a world that never existed. They get one of those evil killing machine things that everyone fears, and show everyone how important they actually are.

People wonder why schools and teachers are often the targets of violence at the hands of the mentally ill. My suspicion is that those nutjobs blame their schools and teachers for preparing them for a world that never actually existed. It seems to me they either attack those people who lied to them, or attack people randomly while jumping into the deep end of the fantasy.

This is entirely preventable by simply preparing people for the world that actually exists, rather than some academic vision of how people think the world should be. That and by ending the vilification, and thus the mystification of firearms. If kids were taken hunting, to the shooting range, to a firearm safety class at school, it's no longer that evil killing machine, and no more mystical than a kitchen knife.

When people say that times are different now than they used to be, and the world is more dangerous, they're right. Children are being lied to as to what life is actually like, and what firearms actually are. What we need is a reintroduction of some cold hard *honesty* into education to fix the problem.

These four in the story aren't mentally ill and lashing out at a society they were never prepared for, they are just plain evil.

End of rant.......

Mr. jshuberg,

Nicely stated. What you didn't include is that these black thugs were more than likely raised by a single parent, most likely their mother. Their biological father (or baby daddy) was never a factor in their life. He was out knocking up other baby mamas. Maybe that was a good thing for these thugs not to have the influence of a tomcat in their miserable lives.
LePetomane

Postby 20mm on Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:57 pm

LePetomane wrote:I pray that these 4 little criminals never walk the streets again and fry in hell.

They're accused of killing him. Are there any eye witnesses or testimony saying they're the attackers?

Maybe we should wait until we have more information before rushing to judgement .
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby gunsmith on Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:46 pm

20mm wrote:
LePetomane wrote:I pray that these 4 little criminals never walk the streets again and fry in hell.

They're accused of killing him. Are there any eye witnesses or testimony saying they're the attackers?

Maybe we should wait until we have more information before rushing to judgement .

In Henn County you can access the 'charging documents' where in a couple of long paragraphs the basics are clearly spelled out. That could be googled I guess. They probably got these cockroaches to flip on each other. And they probably have some airtight evidence such as blood on clothing.

Highlights on TV show.

"Shine" with one of his Grand daughters"

"Shine" with fiddle.

Shine with fiddle.jpg
Shine with fiddle.jpg (55.74 KB) Viewed 2544 times
gunsmith

Postby Spike on Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:54 pm

The little **** that did this deserve to rot in hell. IMHO arranging the meeting would be justice.
Spike

Next

Return to In The News