Suspect in East Side beating found not guilty on all counts

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Suspect in East Side beating found not guilty on all counts

Postby gunsmith on Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:42 am

http://www.startribune.com/local/east/231180921.html

The judge told Issac O. Maiden, “You dodged one here.” One juror cited confusing testimony among the reasons for the acquittal.

What's going on here....on one side the Victim says the bad guys were 'Just lashing out in anger' (WTF) and on the other hand Ramsey county can't get a minimal conviction and it looks like WITNESS INTIMIDATION is in play here.

I'm stumped.

Jurors acquitted Issac O. Maiden Friday of all charges in this summer’s brutal attack on Ray Widstrand, a St. Paul man who requires 24-hour care due to the injuries he sustained.

The not guilty verdicts were returned after about four hours of deliberations. Juror Tom Paulson said that there were too many holes and that witness testimony was “very confusing.” The jury acquitted Maiden of first-degree assault, first-degree aggravated robbery and two counts of a crime committed for the benefit of a gang.

“We just thought there wasn’t enough proof,” Paulson said. “A lot of [jurors] felt [witnesses] were covering for themselves.”

Maiden’s attorney, Bruce Wenger, said that Maiden would be released from jail and be home by Friday evening.

“I’m thrilled,” Wenger said.

Maiden, 19, is the first of five teens charged in the Aug. 4 attack to stand trial.

In their closing arguments Friday morning, Assistant Ramsey County Attorney David Miller and Wenger each tried to raise doubt about a number of witnesses. Miller said that gang violence could have caused some witnesses to be evasive in court.

Several witnesses testified that they and Maiden have ties to or are familiar with a number of St. Paul gangs with violent reputations.

Witnesses and a St. Paul police gang investigator testified that members of the Gutta Block, HAM Crazy, Get Money Gang and East Side Boyz gangs were present when Widstrand was attacked about 11:30 p.m. at Minnehaha Avenue and Preble Street. Several of those gangs are responsible for multiple murders of teens on the East Side, including the July murder of Vincent “Mo” Allison, 17.

Allison’s cousin, Treheem Smith, testified at Maiden’s trial. Miller told jurors Friday morning that Smith told police in an Aug. 5 interview that East Side Boyz gang members attacked Widstrand, but that he then refused to discuss gang involvement in court.

Wenger said he didn’t think intimidation was a factor in his client’s case and that it was a “red herring.” Several witnesses not only contradicted each other about Maiden’s actions that night, but also the actions of Cindarion D. Butler, 17. Butler is charged as an adult in the case and has yet to stand trial.

Juror noticed intimidation

The impact of intimidation was apparent to jurors, said Paulson, who detected it in witnesses’ quiet voices and changing accounts of that night.

“I think [intimidation] was a huge factor,” Paulson said. “[Witnesses] were scared to talk, and I don’t blame them.”
gunsmith

Re: Suspect in East Side beating found not guilty on all counts

Postby mmcnx2 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:40 am

Want to take bets how log it takes for this 'not guilty' teen to be back in court for another violent crime. Lets hope the next victim is prepared to defend themselves and in the end society is a better place.
mmcnx2

Postby Back In Black on Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:36 am

Where is Chuck Bronson when you need him?
Keith
Back In Black

Postby LePetomane on Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:44 am

mmcnx2 wrote:Want to take bets how log it takes for this 'not guilty' teen to be back in court for another violent crime. Lets hope the next victim is prepared to defend themselves and in the end society is a better place.

Not very long. This verdict (or lack of one) only enables these street thugs and gangstas in a way that they will try to get away with more. Mr. Maiden is now a hero in his gangsta community, having beaten a rap. He will feel empowered and try to up the ante and hopefully come out on the short end.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby gunsmith on Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:49 am

LePetomane wrote:
mmcnx2 wrote:Want to take bets how log it takes for this 'not guilty' teen to be back in court for another violent crime. Lets hope the next victim is prepared to defend themselves and in the end society is a better place.

Not very long. This verdict (or lack of one) only enables these street thugs and gangstas in a way that they will try to get away with more. Mr. Maiden is now a hero in his gangsta community, having beaten a rap. He will feel empowered and try to up the ante and hopefully come out on the short end.

He was released in time to 'Par-Tay' last night....I'd love to see some of the cell phone vids from the party. On Lake Street in Minneapolis you can buy genuine Mexican Pinyatas...maybe they bought a few and re-enacted the crime?

Possibly they are referring to him now as " Mr. Mashed-Potato Head"

widstrand half-head.jpg

I think I'm going to lose my lunch...I just googled the above image...HE'S MISSING PART OF HIS FRICKING HEAD.

I'm going to slowly back away from this issue....there's something seriously wrong here......
gunsmith

Postby farmerj on Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:33 am

“I think [intimidation] was a huge factor,” Paulson said. “[Witnesses] were scared to talk, and I don’t blame them.”

Says it all right there.......
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby LePetomane on Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:41 pm

IT is a "Win/Win" situation for Mr. Maiden. Had he been convicted he would be doing time which would have given him "street cred" when he got out. Beating the rap through witness intimidation empowers the whole gang. This guy now is the head gangsta!!!!!!!!!
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby tazdevil on Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:23 pm

So when do the caucasian's start rioting ? Isn't that the normal thing to do after these verdicts?
1911 Fan quote in memoirium about carrying:
The purpose of a firearm in a defensive situation is to make the other guy leak from holes he was not born with. Your job is to install those orifices for him.
tazdevil

Location: over your shoulder, whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Postby LePetomane on Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:41 pm

tazdevil wrote:So when do the caucasian's start rioting ? Isn't that the normal thing to do after these verdicts?

No. We don't have the time to. We're too busy working. A by-product of that is the taxes we pay to support these thugs.

If the white folk were to protest they would be shouted down by the community organizers in the African American community as well as the Minnesota Nice tolerant self loathing guilt ridden white folk.
LePetomane

Postby farmerj on Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:58 pm

minnesotans would rather just get passive aggressive on their asses...
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby LePetomane on Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:21 pm

farmerj wrote:minnesotans would rather just get passive aggressive on their asses...

Here lies the problem. The law abiding white folk should be protesting this verdict like the blacks protested when the George Zimmerman verdict was announced. Instead the locals who do not want to be perceived as being racist sit back and do nothing but try to figure out how we as a society failed Mr. Martin and what reparations he is due for inconveniencing him. Self loathing Minnesota Nice passive aggressive white guilt at its finest.
LePetomane

Postby farmerj on Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:36 pm

didn't say I agreed with it....

Just how things are...
Current moon phase
farmerj

Postby loose on Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:43 pm

Is this a freak situation leading up to beating, white boy walking through a crowd of g's in the ghetto or does it happen often without incident? Being from a small town it just doesn't sound like something you'd want to do. My extent of being in the ghetto is driving down MLK drive in St Louis and being up and down a few streets around lake st which wasnt very *******.

So please educate my ignorant ass.
loose

Postby farmerj on Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:57 pm

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/tag/raymond-widstrand/

that gives you the background as I know it.

There are just parts of town I won't go into. East side being one of them as well as North. Even when we ran snowplow for the state, there were places we knew to stay out of.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Postby LePetomane on Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:49 pm

Reverse the racial make up of the perpetrator and the victim or let's say the victim popped this little hoodlum with a bullet and there would be outrage from the white libs in this area. Why do we tolerate it?
LePetomane

Next

Return to In The News