Dianne Sawyer: special 'YOUNG GUNS' Get out the Barf Bag

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Dianne Sawyer: special 'YOUNG GUNS' Get out the Barf Bag

Postby CarryCauseICan on Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:44 pm

It's exactly what I thought it would be. They have exposed a bad parenting problem with some in America. :shock:
Molon Labe!
HEY! Once this girl said, "It's not You, It's Me". I said, "Dang Right It's You! You Heffer!" Si
CarryCauseICan

Postby Pat Cannon on Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:17 pm

I just got done watching it and I gotta say, I didn't have a big problem with it. Although I didn't care for the generally fear-mongering tone of the show, the main point was: if you leave loaded guns laying around, kids will often find them, and sometimes hurt or kill themselves or somebody else. Well, duh. Sadly, there are people who still need to be told that.
Pat Cannon

Postby shooter115 on Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:28 am

Pat Cannon wrote:I just got done watching it and I gotta say, I didn't have a big problem with it. Although I didn't care for the generally fear-mongering tone of the show, the main point was: if you leave loaded guns laying around, kids will often find them, and sometimes hurt or kill themselves or somebody else. Well, duh. Sadly, there are people who still need to be told that.

I gotta say I completely agree with Pat on this one. I was fully expecting this to be a completely "guns are bad" program. But instead it was mostly about proper storage of firearms in a house with children. They actually admitted that statistically in homes where kids were taught firearms safety there was less likely to be an incident. They actually provided cases where having a firearm saved lives. I'm probably as big of gun guy as anyone on this board, but I also have a 2 year old son. My guns are locked up and unloaded with exception of a handgun on each floor in a fingertip coded lock box. Not saying it was a great program for the pro-gun movement, but it wasn't near what I was expecting.
shooter115

Postby gunsmith on Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:46 am

It got attention on Fox. Mainly the stats.

Most of the "Child Deaths" were 15-19 yrs old
Most were males
Most were Black
Most were Crime / Drug / Gang related.

A 15 yr old black male w/ a gun is not a 'Chile'

I just love this picture...there's a truth behind the surface here....Di-Di delivers the news a half inch away from being a blubbering mess.
gunsmith

Postby goda0301 on Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:27 am

Ditto with what Pat said... common sense issues. I would like to see this experiment take place in more of a rural setting everything was staged on the east coast primarily with the kids in schools. I think it would persuade some novice gun owners to start locking some of their guns or at least keep them unloaded. I know it made me double check the hardware though-out the house before I went to bed…
goda0301

Postby CraigJS on Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:26 am

Agree with Pat. Show was not as bad as I thought it would be, not nearly as good as I hoped for.. Parents use common sense, not a lot shown on the show. Leave a loaded (or ANY) gun on the kitchen table with younger kids around, clueless people. Lock your SD pistol in a safe UNLOADED, why? IT"S IN A LOCKED SAFE. This show has shown again that common sense is yet, a VERY uncommon thing.
I must say that the beginning in the day care was quite stupid. What did they expect? Sadly most watching won't question that slanting at all.
Last third wasn't bad, far better than expected for "Diane".
CraigJS

Postby silvor on Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:35 am

Pat Cannon wrote:I just got done watching it and I gotta say, I didn't have a big problem with it. Although I didn't care for the generally fear-mongering tone of the show, the main point was: if you leave loaded guns laying around, kids will often find them, and sometimes hurt or kill themselves or somebody else. Well, duh. Sadly, there are people who still need to be told that.

I didn't see all of it, but from what I saw, I agree.

The thing that concerned me was when she kept saying "a conversation about guns". Wasn't Bloomberg's or Obama's people using that line? Just seemed like what the term "gun safety" has turned into.

Also, the guy on the farm with the red beard who's kid was shot. They said he taught kids about guns at a young age and "did everything right". So how did his kid get the gun? I didn't catch that part. I'd have thought the gun would be locked up?
silvor

Postby Evad on Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:43 am

silvor wrote:
The thing that concerned me was when she kept saying "a conversation about guns". Wasn't Bloomberg's or Obama's people using that line? Just seemed like what the term "gun safety" has turned into.

I'd love that line if they weren't putting a negative slant on it. "Sure! Come on in, we will talk about guns over a beer while the kids play!"
Evad

Postby CarryCauseICan on Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:20 pm

I noticed That they didn't knock on any inner city doors to have a conversation about guns. Seemed to be knocking on upper middle class homes doors.
Molon Labe!
HEY! Once this girl said, "It's not You, It's Me". I said, "Dang Right It's You! You Heffer!" Si
CarryCauseICan

Postby CraigJS on Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:29 am

Wouldn't have found any mothers or FATHERS home..
CraigJS

Previous

Return to In The News