Legalized Marijuana and Firearms.

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Legalized Marijuana and Firearms.

Postby steve4102 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:31 am

With the MN Legislators gearing up to "Legalize" Medical Marijuana, I though I would start a discussion on how this would affect Firearms and Firearm ownership.

For starters MN cannot "Legalize" Marijuana, it is "Illegal" in all 50 States according to the Federal Government. They can "Decriminalize" it on the State level, but they cannot make "legal" what the Federal Government deems Illegal. Federal Laws Trump State Laws.

According to the Federal Government and the ATF a user of pot, even Medical Marijuana is an Illegal user and therefore a "Prohibited" person and cannot own any firearm and/or ammunition.

When purchasing a firearm we are required to fill out form 4473. Line 11e of this forum asks if "you" are an ...Unlawful user of, or addicted to Marijuana... Even if you are a Legal user of Medical Marijuana you must answer "Yes" for question 11e.

Answering "yes" will get your purchase denied, answering no will constitute a Felony for lying on a Federal forum.

Here is an open letter from the ATF to all FFL holders concerning question 11e and Medical Marijuana.

http://www.atf.gov/files/press/releases ... rposes.pdf
steve4102

Re: Legalized Marijuana and Firearms.

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:43 am

Easy answer, don't use it!

Problem solved.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Spartan on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:02 am

This is a fluff issue when the Constitution is being attacked ..... please take your "pot " issues to some other fluff forum.
I consider this issue to the issue of "what to wear to the party before the asteroid destroys the earth or should I take a shower before the nuke hits my city...
Spartan

Postby Evad on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:29 am

Won't affect me. I'll use it as much as I do now. Never. Not judging, it just isn't for me.
Evad

Postby XDM45 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:13 am

steve4102 wrote:For starters MN cannot "Legalize" Marijuana, it is "Illegal" in all 50 States according to the Federal Government. They can "Decriminalize" it on the State level, but they cannot make "legal" what the Federal Government deems Illegal. Federal Laws Trump State Laws.

Well, it's legal in Colorado and the Feds are playing a "wait and see how it goes" stance for now. Washington is next.

steve4102 wrote:According to the Federal Government and the ATF a user of pot, even Medical Marijuana is an Illegal user and therefore a "Prohibited" person and cannot own any firearm and/or ammunition.

For now. If pot becomes legal like alcohol, then things will change.

steve4102 wrote:When purchasing a firearm we are required to fill out form 4473. Line 11e of this forum asks if "you" are an ...Unlawful user of, or addicted to Marijuana... Even if you are a Legal user of Medical Marijuana you must answer "Yes" for question 11e.

For now. If pot becomes legal like alcohol, then things will change.

steve4102 wrote:Answering "yes" will get your purchase denied, answering no will constitute a Felony for lying on a Federal forum.

I suppose so. What if someone started after they filled it out, like years later? Poses an interesting question.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby loose on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:24 am

What a joke, the federal government needs to end prohibition and leave it up to the states. It's not helping anyone besides the people that get paid to fight it and the illegal money that's made off of reselling the seized drugs. From the age of 16 to 21 it was easier to get any controlled substance then it was alcohol.

And if anyone thinks weed is a more "dangerous" drug then alcohol needs to pull their head out of their ass.
loose

Postby steve4102 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:08 pm

It may indeed be a joke, but as of right now the Law is clear. Marijuana use puts any Pot user on the "Prohibited" persons list and any and all firearm possession is Illegal.

If you wish to obtain a medical Marijuana card you are not allowed to possess any firearm or ammunition.

Colorado has taken this a step further and "Legalized" recreation use of Marijuana. It will be interesting to see what happens when the ATF cross references the Pot users and the firearms owners. Looks like a lot of Colorado boys may be losing there Hunting rifles and there carry guns.
steve4102

Postby xd ED on Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:13 pm

steve4102 wrote:It may indeed be a joke, but as of right now the Law is clear. Marijuana use puts any Pot user on the "Prohibited" persons list and any and all firearm possession is Illegal.

If you wish to obtain a medical Marijuana card you are not allowed to possess any firearm or ammunition.

Colorado has taken this a step further and "Legalized" recreation use of Marijuana. It will be interesting to see what happens when the ATF cross references the Pot users and the firearms owners. Looks like a lot of Colorado boys may be losing there Hunting rifles and there carry guns.

How will: "... the ATF cross reference(s) the Pot users and the firearms owners…"?
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby bstrawse on Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:16 pm

steve4102 wrote:It may indeed be a joke, but as of right now the Law is clear. Marijuana use puts any Pot user on the "Prohibited" persons list and any and all firearm possession is Illegal.

What existing statute or regulation requires this?
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby steve4102 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:36 pm

xd ED wrote:

How will: "... the ATF cross reference(s) the Pot users and the firearms owners…"?

It is my understanding that to purchase "Recreational" pot they swipe the Driners License at the time of purchase.
steve4102

Postby steve4102 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:37 pm

bstrawse wrote:

What existing statute or regulation requires this?
b

ATF link in Post #1.
steve4102

Postby LePetomane on Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:19 pm

loose wrote:And if anyone thinks weed is a more "dangerous" drug then alcohol needs to pull their head out of their ass.

The same can be said who think it is less dangerous and less addictive than alcohol.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby Sietch on Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:29 pm

steve4102 wrote:
xd ED wrote:

It is my understanding that to purchase "Recreational" pot they swipe the Driners License at the time of purchase.

They still scan my DL sometimes when I buy liquor. Not real concerned. And btw, the question on the form addresses unlawful users. If you've committed no crime, then just answer, truthfully, 'no', take your property and go home and use your cannabis as it's prescribed or as you please. You don't give stupid answers to stupid questions. This is not hard stuff.
Tony Martin. It could happen to us.
Sietch

Postby xd ED on Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:54 pm

steve4102 wrote:
xd ED wrote:

And they can track firearms purchases through a DL? :?
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby steve4102 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:23 pm

The can track Marijuana purchases through DL. They also track Hunting Licenses through DL. In some States they also track Ammo purchases through DL.
steve4102

Next

Return to In The News