No Billed for Killing Deputy Sheriff

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: No Billed for Killing Deputy Sheriff

Postby bensdad on Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:40 pm

Wouldn't you?

Not in a million years. Pot head could have been picked up on a cheeto run about four days a week. They could have gotten a regular warrant, waited for the residence to empy, then served it and collected evidence. Does somebody have to be home in order to execute a search warrant on a property?

All we have to do (in my non-LE opinion) is think these things through. I'm not trying to be argumentative or desparaging [sic?]. It just seems like every no-knock is little more than an excuse to put on the cool outfits with the 5.11 tactical shades and make some headlines. There always seems to be a better, calmer, more practical way.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby tman on Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:55 am

bensdad wrote:
Wouldn't you?

Not in a million years. Pot head could have been picked up on a cheeto run about four days a week.

Without going through the article and doing background, I assume he's a DEALER, not a USER. Dealers don't walk around stoned. They're businessmen.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby bensdad on Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:32 am

Mobile home. Charged with >2oz. but <5lbs. All guns in the home legally owned. If he was a dealer, he was pretty small-time. This was one hillbilly halfway between Houston and Ausin... not the Cartel.

Towns like this shouldn't even have a specific forced entry team. Couple extra vests and a breaching tool for the occasional over-drunk, unemployed wife-beater.

Dealers don't walk around stoned.

Bensdad might (or might not) have known people like this back in the day. If he did, he would say that this statement is monumentally false. Dealers who fly to Miami just to scream at their banker, and keep four guys on payroll just to bury dead hookers out in the desert don't walk around stoned. Dealers who live in a trailer park in suburban Texas, growing weed right in their place of residence... do.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby tman on Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:10 pm

bensdad wrote:Mobile home. Charged with >2oz. but <5lbs. All guns in the home legally owned. If he was a dealer, he was pretty small-time. This was one hillbilly halfway between Houston and Ausin... not the Cartel.

Towns like this shouldn't even have a specific forced entry team. Couple extra vests and a breaching tool for the occasional over-drunk, unemployed wife-beater.

Dealers don't walk around stoned.

Bensdad might (or might not) have known people like this back in the day. If he did, he would say that this statement is monumentally false. Dealers who fly to Miami just to scream at their banker, and keep four guys on payroll just to bury dead hookers out in the desert don't walk around stoned. Dealers who live in a trailer park in suburban Texas, growing weed right in their place of residence... do.

Like I said, I haven't taken the time to research this.

BTW, mobile homes are the absolute WORST for entry.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby damian_mb on Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:51 pm

Thunder71 wrote:There really is nothing good about a no knock warrant.

I've never been a conspiracy theorist, but more and more I wonder what's really going on - why is the government so afraid of 'the people' being armed, and why are they stripping our privacy, rights, and due process more and more?

Guilty until dead, or proven innocent, which ever comes first.

Nut job.... :lol:

I would keep this to yourself and keep that in mind. People won't bother witth your comments, even if it slaps them in the face. Remember when people said police will never be militarized? Guess what, some are already and people still ignore it. Hence my signature ;)

To that end, LEO's should know that there are more firearms owners out there than LEO's put together in the nation, do the math. No knock warrant will more than likely end up in someone being shot., innocent or not.
"It can never happen in Amurika"
damian_mb

Postby jshuberg on Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:21 pm

For me, it all boils down to one thing, could this have been handled differently such that no one was killed. If the answer is yes, and it was reasonable to have executed the warrant that way in the first place, then it was the actions of law enforcement that is responsible for the death.

I'm all for cops taking whatever precautions are necessary to stay safe. Ballistic vests, an assortment of less-lethal munitions at their disposal, an assortment of lethal munitions at their disposal, etc. When executing a warrant they should be prepared for any possible scenario, but they should also use the least amount of force and the least amount of violence possible. They should knock on the door or ring the doorbell and wait for someone to answer. If they need to escalate, then escalate, but they should afford the opportunity for the people involved to comply with the warrant without violence and without property damage whenever possible.

I would imagine that a significant amount of the time going in commando style with battering rams, flashbangs, etc. is absolutely unnecessary. If a lesser amount of force would have been sufficient to execute the warrant, then excessive force was used, and someone should be held accountable for it.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Stylin750 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:46 pm

Here’s my 2 cents. Militarized police are here to stay whether we like it or not, and two what extent it will go, no one knows. But my guess is, we have barely begun to see it. As the government get more authoritative and totalitarian, they will use the MILITARIZED police to their advantage and use them as a tool to push their will. As well as continuing to push the further militarizing of the police force. The sad state of our prized nation. Quite frankly the only way I can see, is us as citizens stand a chance, is if we start. like the saying says if you cant beat them join them. Granted all the gear they have, isn’t legal for us, but a lot of it is. Which in all honesty is the start of tyranny. It creates a ruling class, which is exactly what out forefathers vehemently despised.

The real question is how far are we willing to pushed and take it?
Give me liberty or give me death... Those willing to give up liberty for safety deserve neither...
Stylin750

Postby northernbird on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:58 pm

tman wrote:I would say their no-knock concerns were justified inn this case.

Wouldn't you?

why? because they guy was known to have a legal gun, and that he might be inclined to use it to protect himself from someone breaking down his door and charging into his house him with a gun pointing at him? ummmm... doesn't that describe every person that owns a gun for self defense? certainly anyone thats ever taken a defensive pistol course.. heck all those people have trained specifically for that. I'm not disparaging you, just curious about how anyone here wouldnt be a justified target of a no knock.

I'm sure there are situations where it makes sense, and maybe this was one of them and I'm just missing something.. but I'm inclined to agree with others that if theres a way to accomplish the same thing with less force and less violence and a person has the chance to comply, then that would seem to make a heck of alot more sense. (like serving the warrant as they are leaving/arriving and not actually inside)
northernbird

Postby jshuberg on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:18 pm

Just about all the gear the cops have can be owned by a private individual if he has deep enough pockets, and is willing to acquire the necessary licenses and pay the appropriate taxes.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby 911scanner on Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:51 pm

This incident goes back to The War on Drugs; the primary concern in this case was marijuana.

The war on drugs should focus on everything but MJ. MJ should be downgraded and sold through drugs stores. Way to much killing & prison time over a "drug" that is as dangerous (or even less so, results to be determined) than the legal drug of alcohol.

I'm not trying to turn this into a "legalize" debate, but realistically if this were to have happened a different state, they would have enjoyed their Doritos that night and the deputy would have gone home to his family instead of a no knock for 4-5 plants.

Food for thought.
911scanner

Previous

Return to In The News