$2.2 Million for Pot Research

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

$2.2 Million for Pot Research

Postby LePetomane on Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:39 am

Our illustrious governor strikes again. Your (and my) tax dollars at work.

http://kstp.com/news/stories/S3370622.shtml?cat=1
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Re: $2.2 Million for Pot Research

Postby CraigJS on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:46 am

The good stuff isn't cheap!!
CraigJS

Postby Synergy on Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:36 am

If there was something in pot that could be a medical benefit without actually getting high I could see it. Other than that the whole medical thing IMO is just an excuse to get high, it fixes nothing.
Synergy

Postby Spartan on Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:01 am

another example of Governmental waste .... hopefully this type of fiscal ir-responsibility will get the clown bounced in November ....

$2.2 mm is about 40 cents per had in MN ... or about 2 bucks ahead from income tax payers .....
I was there at the capitol on Wednesday..... Its a disgrace ..... I watched as Endora and Latz played their cute little games.... Kari Dziedzic (60, DFL) played on her ipad, Kathy Sheran (19, DFL) was disinterested and non- engaged .. Bobby Joe Champion (59, DFL) appeared to sleep during some of the hearings and they all voted party line .... spend and tax and big government ...... while Warren Limmer (34, R) , Dan D. Hall (56, R) and Scott J. Newman (18, R) seems to pay attention, appeared to have read the bills... asked specific questions and made valid arguments for their opinions ........ The other DFLers save Latz and Endora ( Barb Goodwin (41, DFL) ) were no more than space occupiers ...... they offered nothing , contributed nothing, said nothing and did nothing........... they were like drones....... so much for Government by the People .... certainly what I witnessed was not Government for the People! The question remains Government "of the people" : I think we all know how that was removed from us by the election judges in 2012.....
Spartan

Postby loose on Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:10 am

Or save the 2.2 million, say he will sign a recreational use bill and make a bunch more money.
loose

Postby LePetomane on Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:41 am

I watched a segment of a legislative session on public TV the other day. A woman was pontificating about what a healthy population we have here in Minnesota because of the taxpayer funded recreational facilities (walking and bicycle paths.) This woman looked as if she could use some exercise and dieting herself.

I think that Dayton wants pot to be legal to satisfy his base but does not want his fingerprints on it. Just my opinion.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby Hmac on Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:09 am

Marijuana has a lot of public interest these days and there are many anecdotes about it's supposed medical benefits. Those benefits have never been proven, but OTOH they've never really been studied. $2.2 million is a very reasonable expenditure to study something that the public is likely to demand.
Hmac

Postby LePetomane on Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:27 pm

Hmac wrote:Marijuana has a lot of public interest these days and there are many anecdotes about it's supposed medical benefits. Those benefits have never been proven, but OTOH they've never really been studied. $2.2 million is a very reasonable expenditure to study something that the public is likely to demand.

With all of the NIH grants that I'm sure the Mayo Clinic gets I think if they wanted one to study hooch they could get it instead of having more of our tax $$$$'s go there.
LePetomane

Postby Hmac on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:05 pm

LePetomane wrote:
Hmac wrote:Marijuana has a lot of public interest these days and there are many anecdotes about it's supposed medical benefits. Those benefits have never been proven, but OTOH they've never really been studied. $2.2 million is a very reasonable expenditure to study something that the public is likely to demand.

With all of the NIH grants that I'm sure the Mayo Clinic gets I think if they wanted one to study hooch they could get it instead of having more of our tax $$$$'s go there.

The State of Minnesota and the Federal Government have differing views on marijuana. Minnesota studying it and legalizing it is our problem, not the Feds'. The State has a legitimate interest in the potential medical value of this drug that they're being pressured to approve by the public. Studying that value is a legitimate use of tax dollars IMHO. I'd prefer that they do the study first, before the legislature approves it, but it doesn't appear that the lack of demonstrated medical efficacy is going to dissuade them from passing its legalization for medical use first.
Hmac

Postby bensdad on Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:41 pm

The medical marijuana community are the fat girls at the bottom of the pyramid at cheerleading camp. They're just creating a vehicle for the pot-heads to blaze up legally. They may be willing mules, but they're mules nonetheless.

Any medicinal benefit from weed can be had via extracts which are already available.

Research should be funded by those who stand to make a profit... not by me. I have kids to feed.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby Hmac on Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:48 pm

bensdad wrote:
Any medicinal benefit from weed can be had via extracts which are already available.

But not adequately studied. Yeah, that's what Dayton says he wants to find out and prove. His stated goal is to "study" it, and not pass medicinal marijuana this legislative session. I'm not a Dayton fan, but I agree with his approach.
Hmac

Postby LePetomane on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:02 pm

He's in a difficult (for him) situation. It's an election year and he has to appeal to his liberal base which includes the pot people. He wants the Mayo clinic to step in and save the day, regardless of what they come up with. After all, who will argue with the world renowned Mayo Clinic? And he is off the hook.
LePetomane

Postby hunterfreakhd on Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:01 pm

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4964371

Do you think 11 2nd amendment supporters would be invited to the governers mansion?
"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
http://www.outdoortrader.net
hunterfreakhd

Postby Spartan on Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:31 pm

I disagree strongly ....... I said strongly ..... the GOVERNMENT should NOT be funding medical research ... with tax dollars ........
THOSE PROPOSING THE BILL NEED TO HAVE FUNDED THIS ..... GOV. GOFFY IS OUT OF LINE .. ..... THOSE OF YOU WHO AGREE WITH THIS .... you are entitled to your liberal opinion .... but this is a BIG GOVERNEMENT PLOY TO GET VOTES AND STAY IN POWER .....NOTHING MORE ...

IF THE FEDERAL AGENDA WAS LEGALIZING POT ..... GOV. GOOFY WOULD HAVE ALREADY DONE IT ....... THIS MAYO CLINIC STUNT IS JUST THAT .... a stunt!
Spartan

Postby LePetomane on Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:19 am

I have been thinking about this. Dayton will push legalization. Liberals are liberals first. They don't need scientific data to validate their concerns. They act on their feelings. All one has to do is parade a bunch of people who claim pot is their last hope.

Look at global warming which has been shot down repeatedly. Yet they still believe in it and chastise and humiliate those who dare disagree.

I don't think the Mayo Clinic will touch it.
LePetomane

Next

Return to In The News