Freedom Group for sale?

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Freedom Group for sale?

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:05 am

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... gn_id=yhoo
Not sure if this is good or bad news.
Bearcatrp

Re: Freedom Group for sale?

Postby ex-LT on Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:42 am

A few things I gleaned from the article....

The March 11 proposal by a little-known Palm Beach, Fla., company called Global Digital Solutions struck me as dubious, given the would-be buyer’s tiny size and lack of a track record in the insular small-arms business.

An affable guy with a thick Boston accent, Sullivan has some insightful things to say about the strangeness of established small arms manufacturers having so far resisted the integration of digital features into their products.

“We’re working on raising the capital, and we have serious intentions,” Sullivan says. “We want to make a transformative technological contribution to an industry that’s stuck in analog and inevitably must participate in the digital world transition that’s going on."

To me, Sullivan's quote is a HUGE red flag.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby LumberZach on Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:58 am

Didn't the Freedom group put the companies up for sale after Sandy Hook? It sounded familiar to me. Either way, there has not been much of any good to come out of the Freedom Group.
LumberZach

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:22 am

Cerberus has been half heartedly trying to sell Freedom Group since the Sandy Hook shooting.

As to the linked article, it smells of a small time business owner fishing for free publicity.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Ironbear on Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:57 am

“A lot of people who don’t own guns would like to have one if it had digital features that gave them choices,” Sullivan says.

.... Huh????

OTOH... every small arm I've ever encountered, has had one or two features for my digits, that gave me several choices.... ;)
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby jdege on Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:00 pm

“We’re working on raising the capital, and we have serious intentions,” Sullivan says. “We want to make a transformative technological contribution to an industry that’s stuck in analog and inevitably must participate in the digital world transition that’s going on."

I'm fine with hanging electronics off my toys, but I will never have a defensive firearm that depends on a battery.
jdege

Postby Lumpy on Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:04 pm

We want to make a transformative technological contribution to an industry that’s stuck in analog
A bullet hitting its target is as analog as it gets.
Lumpy

Postby Thunder71 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:17 pm

Maybe they want to make these a reality?

Thunder71

Postby igofast on Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:10 pm

According to Remington, it's a publicity stunt:

http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/features/228603

per internal memo by Remington Outdoor Group's CEO, George Kollitides: "Yesterday, a small, unknown investment entity publicly announced its desire to acquire the Remington Outdoor Company. If this wasn't disruptive to our employees and customers, we would not acknowledge the news and recognize it for what it is: a publicity stunt from an agenda-driven group with no credible financing options."
igofast

Postby 45Badger on Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:01 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:Cerberus has been half heartedly trying to sell Freedom Group since the Sandy Hook shooting.

As to the linked article, it smells of a small time business owner fishing for free publicity.

Cerberus recapitalized Freedom Group and bought out their "uncomfortable" investors. In PE, everything is for sale, all the time, for the right profit.
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Postby AFTERMATH on Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:23 pm

Do I smell an MNGT group buy in the works?
RWVA Senior Instructor -- http://www.RWVA.org
AFTERMATH

Postby mmcnx2 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:55 pm

45Badger wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:Cerberus has been half heartedly trying to sell Freedom Group since the Sandy Hook shooting.

Cerberus recapitalized Freedom Group and bought out their "uncomfortable" investors. In PE, everything is for sale, all the time, for the right profit.

+1

These folks are venture capitalist, they never intended to keep it. Folks in VC invest at bargain prices, make the company profitable(sometimes by slashing very thin), then make a public offering, they get most or all of their initial investment back and typically retain 25-50 percent ownership. A few years later if the price continues to rise, they sell off their strong position take the money and run. Been there, done that. Not pretty, not a long term view but it what the market of investors want.
mmcnx2

Return to In The News