PA Student Stabs 20 Classmates

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby Thunder71 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:54 am

http://www.examiner.com/article/20-stud ... fe-rampage

20 kids are injured after a sophomore in high school came to school with a knife and stabbed his school mates. The stabbings took place at the Frankly Regional Senior High School in the Pittsburgh area, according to CNN News on April 9.
Thunder71

Re: PA Student Stabs 20 Classmates

Postby JJ on Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:30 am

Can't wait to see the anti's on this one. i can see it now:

"This incident just underscores the need for further gun control. Just imagine if this young man/woman had easier access to guns!"
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Lumpy on Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:01 am

I would take on a guy with a gun if I have a gun.

I would not take on a guy with a knife if all I have is a knife.
Lumpy

Postby LePetomane on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:23 am

Now we will hear the left wanting knife control.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby xd9 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:54 am

I want to see when they start showing the "assault knife" photos and going to the Kohls department store where they were purchased and interview the manager about why they sell such dangerous things....
xd9

Postby XDM45 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:06 pm

Lumpy wrote:I would take on a guy with a gun if I have a gun.

I would not take on a guy with a knife if all I have is a knife.

Maybe that's the solution....rid the World of guns and give everyone knives. I know.. I know.... just think about it for a minute.... it's one thing to stand back out of reach and shoot at someone, it's a whole different matter getting within arm's length, getting up close and personal, stabbing them and feeling the blade go inside of them tearing flesh. Then there's the whole part of having the blade's edge upward so as you go into them you can pull upward and slide through more flesh, causing more damage. Just imagine it for a moment.... not only is it a heck of a lot bloodier, it's much more in-your-face and up-close-and-personal, isn't it? Whereas some people would be more apt to shoot you, they'd back down if they had to get into it like that with a knife. Now the scary people are those would you PREFER the knife, who don't mind it and actually like it.

Of course I wonder how many people would go hunt deer, bear, and other animals if they couldn't use a gun either. I'd love to see someone go one on one with a 12 point buck and only have a knife. At least it'd be more on the fair side of things......well, for the animal at least. Humans don't have the natural abilities and advantages animals do, thus why we need weapons.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby xd ED on Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:22 pm

Just heard on the news the FBI is investigating the stabbings. . . .
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby ttousi on Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:05 pm

JJ wrote:Can't wait to see the anti's on this one. i can see it now:

"This incident just underscores the need for further gun control. Just imagine if this young man/woman had easier access to guns!"

didn't take long

As word of the incident spread and children streamed out of the school, parents told FoxNews.com they were shocked by the attack — and one district official expressed relief that it was carried out with a knife rather than a gun.

"But I'm just glad it wasn't a shooter, because if it had been a shooter, there would have been fatalities," Cook, whose children previously attended the school, told FoxNews.com.

Graham said the attacker, a sophomore whom he did not identify, had been a victim of bullying.

"My point is this could’ve been avoided," Graham told FoxNews.com, adding that his daughter had been previously assaulted at the school. "That's my personal opinion.”

all quotes from http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/04/09/su ... ia-school/
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby photogpat on Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:10 pm

Post traumatic stress for those victims is going to be a tough road...
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby crbutler on Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:04 pm

Reportedly kitchen knives.

Well, the UK is coming to America I guess.
crbutler

Postby gunsmith on Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:08 pm

https://www.gov.uk/find-out-if-i-can-bu ... ry-a-knife

Knives: the laws on buying and carrying

The laws about buying and carrying a knife depend on the type of knife, your age and your circumstances.
Basic laws on knives

It is illegal to:
sell a knife of any kind (including cutlery and kitchen knives) to anyone under 18
carry a knife in public without good reason - unless it’s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less, eg a Swiss Army knife
carry, buy or sell any type of banned knife (the list of banned knives is below)
use any knife in a threatening way (even a legal knife, such as a Swiss Army knife)

Lock knives (knives with blades that can be locked when unfolded) are not folding knives, and are illegal to carry in public.

The maximum penalty for an adult carrying a knife is 4 years in prison and a fine of £5,000.
Good reasons for carrying a knife

Examples of good reasons to carry a knife in public can include:
taking knives you use at work to and from work
you’re taking knives to a gallery or museum to be exhibited
the knife is going to be used for theatre, film, television, historical reenactment or religious purposes (eg the kirpan some Sikhs carry)

A court will decide if you’ve got a good reason to carry a knife if you’re charged with carrying it illegally.
Knives that are illegal

There is a complete ban on the sale of some knives:
flick knives (also called ‘switchblades’ or ‘automatic knives’) - where the blade is hidden inside the handle and shoots out when a button is pressed
butterfly knives - where the blade is hidden inside a handle that splits in two around it, like wings; the handles swing around the blade to open or close it
disguised knives – eg where the blade is hidden inside a belt buckle or fake mobile phone
gravity knives
sword-sticks
samurai swords (with some exceptions, including antiques and swords made to traditional methods before 1954)
hand or foot-claws
push daggers
hollow kubotan (cylinder-shaped keychain) holding spikes
shuriken (also known as ‘death stars’ or ‘throwing stars’)
kusari-gama (sickle attached to a rope, cord or wire)
kyoketsu-shoge (hook-knife attached to a rope, cord or wire)
kusari (weight attached to a rope, cord or wire)

This is not a complete list of banned knives. Contact your local police to check if a knife is illegal or not.
gunsmith

Postby mecra on Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:52 am

I've never understood the issue with butterfly knives.
mecra

Postby Erud on Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:02 am

I've never understood the issue with kusari-gama(sickle attached to a rope, cord or wire).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Erud

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:12 pm

mecra wrote:I've never understood the issue with butterfly knives.

+100,000

I had my Dad's butterfly knife confiscated by a WI Deputy Sheriff, only to have it not show up in evidence bag at Office. The actual Sheriff had all actions dropped and the officer involved disciplined. I had shown my neighbor, the Sheriff, my Dad's WW2 knife earlier in the day. He did not indicate at that time that it was illegal as a war relic. Still have no data as to where the knife is located.
I was stopped for an entirely different reason and the display case my Dad made for the knife, with knife in it, was on dash of my truck in open sight.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Ironbear on Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:07 am

Lumpy wrote:I would not take on a guy with a knife if all I have is a knife.

I might consider it if he had a pocket knife and I had a sword.... but the event of me carrying a sword seems pretty unlikely...

Erud wrote:I've never understood the issue with kusari-gama(sickle attached to a rope, cord or wire).

I was scratching my head over the kusari, since it doesn't have have a blade.

shuriken (also known as ‘death stars’ or ‘throwing stars’)
kusari (weight attached to a rope, cord or wire)

And who calls shuriken, "death stars"!?
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Next

Return to In The News