Ikea tells Police Chief To Disarm Or Leave Their Store

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby LarryP on Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:40 pm

LarryP

Re: Ikea tells Police Chief To Disarm Or Leave Their Store

Postby mmcnx2 on Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:45 pm

Yea, but now they say if your in the privileged group(LE) the rules don't apply to you. Great another company that bending to pressure.
mmcnx2

Postby jshuberg on Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:49 pm

I'd say the security guard got it right. Banning guns means banning guns. The idea that some places ban some guns, depending on who the person carrying it works for is discrimination.

If you're going to ban them, ban them. There is nothing inherently special about those people who work for a law enforcement agency. In fact, I highly suspect that *permit holders* are charged and convicted of crimes to a much lesser extent than cops or former cops are.

It's too bad that this was a mistake and not actual company policy. It would have been wrongheaded, but at least it would have been consistent and non discriminatory.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby old guy on Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:18 pm

jshuberg wrote:I'd say the security guard got it right. Banning guns means banning guns. The idea that some places ban some guns, depending on who the person carrying it works for is discrimination.

If you're going to ban them, ban them. There is nothing inherently special about those people who work for a law enforcement agency. In fact, I highly suspect that *permit holders* are charged and convicted of crimes to a much lesser extent than cops or former cops are.

It's too bad that this was a mistake and not actual company policy. It would have been wrongheaded, but at least it would have been consistent and non discriminatory.

And this is gonna work really well when they come to the store in answer to to a call.

John
old guy

Postby CraigJS on Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:00 am

As long as they disarm.... :twisted:
CraigJS

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:59 am

Don't worry, the criminals are not allowed to carry their either.
Holland&Holland

Postby 20mm on Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:29 pm

jshuberg wrote:I'd say the security guard got it right. Banning guns means banning guns. The idea that some places ban some guns, depending on who the person carrying it works for is discrimination.

No he got it wrong: "Our weapon policy does not apply to law enforcement officers. We are taking steps to ensure that this is clear for all our co-workers."
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby farmerj on Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:22 pm

“It isn’t the most prudent thing to do to walk around the store in uniform with an empty holster,” Goldberg told the station. “And I am not going to lock my gun in a commercial parking lot, with people watching me put it in there. That’s just ludicrous.”

Same would hold true for a permitted carrier. Leo or not.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby LePetomane on Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:36 pm

No great loss. It is a store full of expensive Swedish made junk. And their employees are very snooty.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby CraigJS on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:38 pm

Not to mention most of the junk needs to be assembled after purchase..
CraigJS

Return to In The News