Doctor pulls his gun and exchanges fire with patient

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby brad3579 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:47 pm

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the news. Also whether he loses his job for carrying on the medical campus.

The patient opened fire after entering Dr. Lee Silverman's office at Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital with the caseworker, District Attorney Jack Whelan said. Witnesses reported hearing yelling before the gunshots.

Silverman told police the patient fatally shot the caseworker before he pulled out his own gun and exchanged fire with the patient. Whelan said the psychiatrist, "from all accounts, would have acted in self-defense."

The doctor, who suffered a wound to his head, "faced a situation where his life was in jeopardy," Whelan said. He was interviewed by detectives late Thursday.

The hospital has a policy barring anyone except on-duty law enforcement officers from carrying weapons anywhere on its campus, a spokeswoman for the Mercy Health System said.
http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/docto ... e-gunfight
brad3579

Re: Doctor pulls his gun and exchanges fire with patient

Postby Mn01r6 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:52 pm

Better to lose your job than your life. My heart goes out to the family of the caseworker that was killed.
Mn01r6

Postby Ghost on Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:21 am

Well if you can't keep the doctor safe then don't try to take away his right to self defense.
Ghost

Postby PhilaBOR on Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:38 am

Sure am glad MN posts don't have force of law. Plenty of clinics and hospitals around here have magic signs but no door guards or metal detectors.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations..."
PhilaBOR

Postby Hmac on Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:48 am

PhilaBOR wrote:Sure am glad MN posts don't have force of law. Plenty of clinics and hospitals around here have magic signs but no door guards or metal detectors.

I suppose he still might lose his job, depending on the contract he signed, the employment terms, and medical staff regulations.
Hmac

Postby Mn01r6 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:58 am

Hmac wrote:
PhilaBOR wrote:Sure am glad MN posts don't have force of law. Plenty of clinics and hospitals around here have magic signs but no door guards or metal detectors.

I suppose he still might lose his job, depending on the contract he signed, the employment terms, and medical staff regulations.

He will lose his job because he violated hospital policy. I have no doubt about it. The hospital will want to protect themselves from a lawsuit from the deceased gunman's family.
Mn01r6

Postby farmerj on Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:23 am

How could this happen? It was a gun-free zone.....
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby s4oak on Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:24 am

Mn01r6 wrote:
Hmac wrote:

He will lose his job because he violated hospital policy. I have no doubt about it. The hospital will want to protect themselves from a lawsuit from the deceased gunman's family.

The doc or family of dead staff member could potentially sue for not providing a safe & secure work environment, though. Probably won't go anywhere, but worth a shot.

s4oak

Postby GARAGE DWELLER on Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:05 pm

But Yeadon Police Chief Donald Molineux said that "without a doubt, I believe the doctor saved lives."

"Without that firearm, this guy (the patient) could have went out in the hallway and just walked down the offices until he ran out of ammunition," the chief said.
GARAGE DWELLER

Postby hunterfreakhd on Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:43 pm

Sounds like he gets to keep his job and this was a win for the second amendment.
"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
http://www.outdoortrader.net
hunterfreakhd

Postby farmerj on Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:49 pm

hunterfreakhd wrote:Sounds like he gets to keep his job and this was a win for the second amendment.

Source......

Read the original article. I don't remember seeing that version.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby brad3579 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:40 pm

farmerj wrote:
hunterfreakhd wrote:Sounds like he gets to keep his job and this was a win for the second amendment.

Source......

Read the original article. I don't remember seeing that version.

Looks like the link goes to a newer article now.

The hospital said Friday it was thankful for the "brave and difficult action" taken by Silverman and his colleagues. It said he remains a full member of the medical staff and "we look forward to Dr. Silverman's return to serving patients at our hospital."
brad3579

Postby farmerj on Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:42 pm

OK, so its not just me.....

Whew....beginning to wonder if I had an exhaust leak on the truck....
Current moon phase
farmerj

Postby brad3579 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:48 pm

farmerj wrote:OK, so its not just me.....

Whew....beginning to wonder if I had an exhaust leak on the truck....

lol
brad3579

Postby Mn01r6 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:54 pm

Color me impressed. I wouldn't think that a hospital they banned guns would actually stick up for someone carrying in this situation. I wonder if he had permission from the administration.
Mn01r6

Next

Return to In The News