Obama: Time to review local police militarization

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby brad3579 on Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:38 pm

It will be interesting to see how far this goes in demilitarization of the police departments.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Calling for a sharp separation between the nation's armed forces and local police, President Barack Obama on Monday urged a re-examination of programs that have equipped civilian law enforcement departments with military gear from the Pentagon.
http://news.msn.com/us/obama-time-to-re ... tarization
brad3579

Re: Obama: Time to review local police militarization

Postby xd ED on Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:07 pm

Yeah, I found that pretty interesting as well.
WTF did they think it would be used for?
I guess when they handed out all the candy it wasn't intended for certain situations.
Rolling over a TEA Party rally would be one thing, but an urban riot...that's just wrong.

ETA:

And ironically, there was this article in the same paper I read of the above:

Low-flying copters cause a stir in Twin Cities StarTribune.com

The low-flying helicopters weaving around downtown buildings Monday night are all part of a training exercise.

Minneapolis and St. Paul police, along with the US Military, are conducting training exercises for the next three evenings from 8 p.m. to midnight, according to a Minneapolis Police spokesman.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:35 pm

I somehow doubt BHO and his minions have had an epiphany over this issue.

After all, where was their concern after the Boston bombing when Boston Police were rolling around the streets in their LAV's pointing their automatic weapons at anyone who dared to look out the window.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby xd9 on Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:51 pm

Just remember the media (and gun grabbers and others) call our AR15 sporting rifles and AK47 "military style assault rifles". Just because they are black guns and wear black clothing does not make it military. If we are talking about the vehicles and smoke canister launchers, Police have had some of those for years. The vehicles may look scarey, but are just what they are, a way to move about more securely with the added comfort of ballistic protection. I guess if they start ramming people, cars and buildings with them, then I would say that is overboard. But if used to just protect the LEO at work, I am fine with them. They are not armored tanks after all. If they start to take the "military" gear away from LEO, they will also justify taking your black guns away too since it would be uneven if the public had them. So be careful what you advocate for. Be careful not to get into the "looks scary" mentality that they use against our private firearms.
xd9

Postby farmerj on Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:58 pm

I asked the local sheriff candidates how they felt about the situation in Ferguson over the weekend.

One responded, the other has yet to respond.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby xd ED on Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:16 pm

xd9 wrote:Just remember the media (and gun grabbers and others) call our AR15 sporting rifles and AK47 "military style assault rifles". Just because they are black guns and wear black clothing does not make it military. If we are talking about the vehicles and smoke canister launchers, Police have had some of those for years. The vehicles may look scarey, but are just what they are, a way to move about more securely with the added comfort of ballistic protection. I guess if they start ramming people, cars and buildings with them, then I would say that is overboard. But if used to just protect the LEO at work, I am fine with them. They are not armored tanks after all. If they start to take the "military" gear away from LEO, they will also justify taking your black guns away too since it would be uneven if the public had them. So be careful what you advocate for. Be careful not to get into the "looks scary" mentality that they use against our private firearms.

ARs aren't part of the equipment in discussion.
I don't think anyone opposes the police having access to the same arms as non-police/ civilians, and vice-versa.And the first battering ram the city of Mpls acquired was almost immediately sent through the living room of the wrong house.
I distinctly recall the editorial cartoon, almost FarSide-esce; a bewildered looking tank crew, next to a mailbox with the family name 'Krakhaus'.

This ain't a tank??:
Last edited by xd ED on Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby xd9 on Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:26 pm

© 2014 Merriam-Webster, Inc.
Tank 
Pronunciation: \ˈtaŋk\
Function: noun
3 :  an enclosed heavily armed and armored
combat vehicle that moves on tracks.

I guess it could be a tank if it had weapons attached to it making
it heavily armed as in the definition.

I think a better approach would be to put limits on how these
tools are used. Ramming them into buildings, cars or people
is not how they should be used IMHO. If they armour plated a ford
cargo van, would you want to take that away too if it looked too scary?
xd9

Postby tenmilmag on Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:09 pm

farmerj wrote:I asked the local sheriff candidates how they felt about the situation in Ferguson over the weekend.

One responded, the other has yet to respond.

Found myself here in St Louis just 5 miles from Ferguson with out my little friend. Can't wait to get out of here :(
tenmilmag

Postby 20mm on Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:28 pm

Civilians should be able to own anything the police can. They should also be able to obtain the same military surplus.
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby xd9 on Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:35 pm

xd ED wrote:ARs aren't part of the equipment in discussion.

I have found many articles online with this mindset....
"We’re not talking just about computers and office equipment. Military-grade semi-automatic weapons, armored personnel vehicles, tanks, helicopters, airplanes, and all manner of other equipment designed for use on the battlefield is now being used on American streets, against American citizens."

My underline for emphasis.

So it would seem ARs are part of the common discussion. As the anits and media call modern sporting rifles Military-grade semi-automatic weapons.
xd9

Postby xd ED on Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:00 am

xd9 wrote:
xd ED wrote:ARs aren't part of the equipment in discussion.

I have found many articles online with this mindset....
"We’re not talking just about computers and office equipment. Military-grade semi-automatic weapons, armored personnel vehicles, tanks, helicopters, airplanes, and all manner of other equipment designed for use on the battlefield is now being used on American streets, against American citizens."

My underline for emphasis.

So it would seem ARs are part of the common discussion. As the anits and media call modern sporting rifles Military-grade semi-automatic weapons.

Fair enough; let me rephrase-

That police departments own semi-automatic, (and speaking personally, to some degree)- fully automatic rifles of sporting calibers- is not the concern to me and I suspect some likeminded folks, as the destructive devices, and armored vehicles the military has given to civilian police departments. Of greater concern is the tactics and mindset that accompany the deployment of such equipment against the citizenry.

LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby jgalt on Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:00 am

20mm wrote:Civilians should be able to own anything the police can. They should also be able to obtain the same military surplus.

Seems reasonable, since police are civilians...
jgalt

Postby Ghost on Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:20 am

jgalt wrote:
20mm wrote:Civilians should be able to own anything the police can. They should also be able to obtain the same military surplus.

Seems reasonable, since police are civilians...

Exactly
Ghost

Postby captnviper on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:23 am

The Richland County (S.C.) Sheriff's Department has acquired an armored personnel carrier complete with a turret-mounted .50-caliber belt-fed machine gun for its Special Response Team.
http://m.policemag.com/news/1564/s-c-sh ... achine-gun
A belt fed gun? Seems excessive what scenario would they ever use that in?
"It's better to have a gun and need it then not have one and not need it" Ricky.
captnviper

Postby xd ED on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:31 am

captnviper wrote:The Richland County (S.C.) Sheriff's Department has acquired an armored personnel carrier complete with a turret-mounted .50-caliber belt-fed machine gun for its Special Response Team.
http://m.policemag.com/news/1564/s-c-sh ... achine-gun
A belt fed gun? Seems excessive what scenario would they ever use that in?

?? Cat in a tree??
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Next

Return to In The News