Theater Victims Families Suing Ammo Companies

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby LarryP on Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:17 pm

LarryP

Postby BBeckwith on Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:02 pm

Didn't have to listen much past "the parents along with the Brady Campaign".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its dumbest member, divided by the number of people in it.
BBeckwith

Re: Theater Victims Families Suing Ammo Companies

Postby 2in2out on Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:26 pm

Right. Obviously, it was the company that sold the ammo who was at fault here, not the shooter.

How could I miss something so obvious until now? :doh:

Good thing the Brady Campaign was on top of the situation….
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby LarryP on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:28 pm

IMO this lawsuit is just a step in trying to get laws made to make purchasing ammo more difficult. Regulate it, license buyers etc. More BS
LarryP

Postby Nougat on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:35 pm

I wonder what kind of shoes the shooter had :? what about chasing kitchen knife manufacturers after the domestics they are involved in?
Nougat

Postby LarryFlew on Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:28 pm

Gasoline mfg station for deaths caused by drunk drivers. DUH whats next??

Due to the next post below mine note change
Last edited by LarryFlew on Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Randygmn on Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:05 am

Did anyone bother following the link? They aren't suing the ammo manufacturers. They are suing the Internet retailers who sold him ammo, tear has and body armor. Just as silly, but still a difference.
Randygmn

Postby Thunder71 on Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:58 am

Those darn asphalt companies, causing all these traffic accidents.
Thunder71

Postby farmerj on Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:59 pm

I think we should all sue Al Gore for all the CO2 we have to breath. Global warming ya know....
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby purd0027 on Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:58 pm

Interesting - one of the named defendants is a MN company, Sportsman's Guide. (http://www.bradycampaign.org/sites/defa ... Gunner.pdf)

SECOND CAUSE OF ACTION
(Negligent Entrustment - The Sportsman’s Guide)
198. Plaintiffs incorporate and reallege the above paragraphs to the extent not inconsistent here.
199. Defendant The Sportsman’s Guide was initially in control of the 100 round drum magazine, 500 rounds of 12 gauge ammunition, 200 rounds of 12 gauge ammunition, hearing protection, and laser site.
200. Defendant The Sportsman’s Guide permitted Holmes, to use these products.
201. Defendant The Sportsman’s Guide either knew or in the exercise of ordinary care should have known or knew that it was substantially certain that Holmes intended or was likely to use these products in a way that would create an unreasonable risk of harm to others, including the plaintiffs herein.
202. Defendant The Sportsman’s Guide’s negligent entrustment of these products to James Holmes directly and proximately caused permanent injuries or death to the plaintiffs.
203. It is appropriate for the Court to award injunctive relief to ensure Defendant’s business practices change and to stop their commercial activities until such changes are implemented.

I am not a lawyer, but this seems like BS . . .
purd0027

Postby jshuberg on Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:55 pm

The lawyers are getting paid. That's all this is, all that matters. Everything else is bull$hit, and anyone with more than two brain cells to rub together knows that.

The lawyers involved are the worst human feces seeking to line their pockets off the death of innocents. I'm truly disgusted.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby farmerj on Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:14 am

jshuberg wrote:The lawyers are getting paid. That's all this is, all that matters. Everything else is bull$hit, and anyone with more than two brain cells to rub together knows that.

The lawyers involved are the worst human feces seeking to line their pockets off the death of innocents. I'm truly disgusted.

Most of us realized that as soon as it was announced. Probably the biggest downfall of our country is the day we let lawyers and politicians take it over
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:22 am

A lot of these BS lawsuits would go away if we had a "loser pays" system of jurisprudence.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Ghost on Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:29 am

This may be reminiscent of what happened to Kmart after Columbine. This could be the start of a push to stop online sales.
Ghost

Postby Randygmn on Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:19 am

This seems ridiculous to me, as the complaint reads;

"200. Defendant The Sportsman’s Guide permitted Holmes, to use these products.
201. Defendant The Sportsman’s Guide either knew or in the exercise of ordinary care should have known or knew that it was substantially certain that Holmes intended or was likely to use these products in a way that would create an unreasonable risk of harm to others, including the plaintiffs herein."

Unless past sales show a pattern if abuse by purchasers, how could the retailer possibly know that the purchased goods would pose unreasonable risks? Seems clear to me that the plaintiffs MUST show a consistent pattern. Not only doesn't that pattern exist, because we would all know about it already, but I think they will be hard pressed to be able to show 1 example of abuse. Put it this way- all these items that Holmes misused, are sold all day, everyday, and are used without incident. Because of this, I would immediately file counter suit for malicious prosecution and demand attorney's fees, court costs and punitive damages.
Randygmn

Next

Return to In The News