Ferguson

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Ferguson

Postby MXGreg on Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:27 pm

Seems as though they're giving more details about events across the pond. More pictures too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... anger.html

'They wrong!' she yelled, pointing toward the police station. 'You all know, you're all wrong!'

Although she wore sunglasses, her anger and devastation were clear as tears ran down her face.

'Everybody wants me to be calm. You know what them bullets did to my son!'

'They still don't care!' she screamed as she threw her arms in frustration. 'They never going to care!'

She then buried her face in the chest of the victim's stepfather, Louis Head, who wore a t-shirt reading: 'I am Mike Brown.'

He turned around to the incensed crowd and screamed: 'Burn this b**** down'.
MXGreg

Postby Ghost on Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:29 pm

Grayskies wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:You bought them in prior to 1994? And you have not built them yet? Time to get moving.

Ya, they are safe in a blue bag, gray coated, dpms said they were tight not really sure what they meant. Just been busy I guess...

Should have sold them off during the panic as pre-bans.

Anybody attend any protests or "sit-ins" here? Love this hypocritical quote:
"A lot of people have had enough of being victimized," he said. "And a lot of people had enough of hearing about people being victimized. We're just done with it."

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2014/11/25/twincities-ferguson-protests
Ghost

Postby Erud on Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:30 pm

I didn't even realize DPMS had been around that long.
Erud

Postby Randygmn on Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:33 pm

Rodentman wrote:I saw on a liberal news network the comment that the punches to Wilson's face didn't look that bad so he had no right to feel his life was in danger.

IIRC you can kill someone with a well placed punch driving the "nasal bone" up into the brain.

What, the officer should feel it's OK to sit there and be punched in the face and have the perp go for his gun?

They wanted justice for Michael Brown, and justice has been served.

I read a comment online the other day in response to the 12 year old who was killed by police after brandishing an air soft gun- cops should only use lethal force AFTER they are fired upon. Unbelievable.
Randygmn

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:39 pm

Time to chime in. Holder, and every african american that has viewed all the evidence and support the findings need to get there ass in from of a tv news cast and back the findings. Spell it out. Obama did a piss poor job of enforcing the grand juries verdict. He should have been showed everything so he could back this verdict and announce what he saw, with holder right next to him. Let hope this calms down and folks get a level head about all of this and move on. But a little bit inside me tells me this may just be the beginning, which I hope not.
Bearcatrp

Postby Grayskies on Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:45 pm

I wonder if there has even been enough time to read and understand the evidance data dump?

Not that that would stop imo sharpton or obama...

News Media Poll: most news media is?

1) Stupid
2) Lazy
3) Complicit
4) Truthful
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby jshuberg on Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:21 pm

If a riot were to break out, the law is exactly the same. A person has no additional rights in that situation. However the circumstances are different, and disparity of force, imminence, and great bodily hard can take on different meanings in the context of a riot.

Here in MN we do not have stand your ground. While law enforcement officers have the power to utilize deadly force effect an arrest, a citizen who wishes to perform a private arrest does not have that power. A private citizen has a duty to retreat and cannot pursue a criminal once deadly force has been introduced into an encounter. This does limit a persons legal ability during a riot. For example, if a crowd of people were gathering in front of your business lighting Molotov cocktails, you may not be legally justified in shooting them if a reasonable means of retreat existed. Under the law, you would likely be required to flee your business rather than defend it unless there is no reasonable avenue of retreat.

Your home is another matter. You are not required to flee from your home. You are also legally allowed to use deadly force to prevent the commission of a felony in your home. If a group of looters crashed through your living room window, you are not required to wait until the threat of great bodily harm or death is imminent. You can shoot an uninvited intruder to prevent the commission of a felony crime in your home. However, if you don't live there, but are merely a guest in someone elses home, in MN you cannot use deadly force to defend it. It must actually be your home your defending. Other states laws may differ on this.

The situation in Ferguson is a perfect example of why Stand Your Ground laws are necessary. People should have the legal right to defend themselves and their *all* their property (not just their homes), especially in this scenario. They should also have the right to bring in security teams to assist in protecting their property if they are able to. The police and first responders were overwhelmed last night, and parts of the city burned as a result. I'm not familiar with the laws in MO, but here in MN the rights of the individual person to protect their property, their businesses, their livelihoods is significantly restricted.

All I can say is I'm very sorry for the good people of Ferguson, and pray that this never happens anywhere again - especially where I live.
Last edited by jshuberg on Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby ex-LT on Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:33 pm

Grayskies wrote:I wonder if there has even been enough time to read and understand the evidance data dump?

News Media Poll: most news media is?

1) Stupid
2) Lazy
3) Complicit
4) Truthful

I vote (5) All but (4)
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby BigBlue on Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:43 pm

Grayskies wrote:I wonder if there has even been enough time to read and understand the evidance data dump?

Exactly. They don't care about the evidence. They will pursue their goals no matter what.
BigBlue

Postby Grayskies on Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:15 pm

jshuberg wrote:Here in MN we do not have stand your ground. While law enforcement officers have the power to utilize deadly force effect an arrest, a citizen who wishes to perform a private arrest does not have that power. A private citizen has a duty to retreat and cannot pursue a criminal once deadly force has been introduced into an encounter. again

Did not a permit holder attempt a citizens arrest of a person who had robbed and pistol whipped an elderly woman in a south MPLS cub parking lot? He gave chase, then the robber stopped, turned, and pointed a gun at the permit holder who fired and ended the robber? I believe he was cleared of wrong doing.

Suppose the rioters had rocks or guns or fire bombs? Well I am glad MPLS is but a distant nightmare. :D
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby jshuberg on Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:42 pm

I have no first hand knowledge of the case, but my understanding is that the permit holder witnessed the assault, immediately called 911, and was on the line with them when the shooting occurred. The permit holder wasn't aware that the original assault involved a firearm, he simply drove into the alley to let police know which direction that he fled in. The first time that deadly force was introduced into the encounter with the permit holder (as opposed to the original victim) was when Darren Evanovich came out from behind a dumpster and pointed a revolver at him.

Knowing that a potential for a lethal force encounter exists is a different thing. The MN Supreme court has ruled multiple times that a person cannot knowingly create the circumstance for a self defense claim. This would apply to a person giving chase to an individual once lethal force has been demonstrated. Once an encounter escalates to lethal force, only a licensed police officer can pursue a fleeing suspect. Once an encounter escalates to deadly force, a private individual has a duty to retreat if possible before a claim of self defense is justified.

I don't believe that a private individual needs the right to give chase to a fleeing individual once lethal force has been introduced. Doing so carries a high risk that someone may end up killed. Under those circumstances, it is better left to the police to investigate and capture the individual. They have skills and training the majority of other people don't have, as well as the infrastructure and legal support structure to do this job. Once a persons life in no longer in jeopardy, it is reckless for him to give chase and provoke further violence.

However, the ability to stand your ground, to defend yourself and your property is a right that we all should have. If there are people setting fires to the city, and I owned a business in the riot zone, it should be my legal right to defend my business from the criminals that would loot or burn my business to the ground. I should not be legally required to flee and abandon my business to the criminals. GOCRA was able to get this change passed by the legislature, unfortunately thanks to Gov Dayton's veto we don't yet enjoy that right in MN. We are currently required to retreat whenever possible from everywhere except our homes if a threat of great bodily harm or death presents itself.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby BigBlue on Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:10 pm

After reading some of that testimony it is obvious that there was already a real bad relationship between the police and the area residents. They officer mentions several times about his concern for his own safety just from the gathering crowd after the shooting and when being transported to the hospital afterwards when he didn't have his gun. If an officer who patrols that area regularly feels that way it tells me there are many people in the area who are criminals or have open animosity towards police and aren't afraid to show it. Obviously a lack of respect for law and order.

BB
BigBlue

Postby LarryP on Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:25 pm

To bad the cop didn't have a dash cam, or a camera on himself to record everything

IMO even if it was filmed, some of these people wouldn't believe it
LarryP

Postby farmerj on Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:27 pm

just tells me I ain't takin' no loads to or from St Louis MO in the near future. Things were tense enough down there two weeks ago.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

PreviousNext

Return to In The News