Doctors Asking Parents about gun ownership

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Doctors Asking Parents about gun ownership

Postby Hmac on Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:08 pm

Countryfried Frank wrote:I was asked by my former doctor once after not answering on the form. I told him that wasn't his business. He went ahead and chewed me out and claimed it was his business when he had to come in to the emergency room because I accidentally shot myself or someone else. I let him know I was a responsible husband and father and I would seek counsel from someone qualified to give it if I had any questions about firearms. I never did go back there.

It hasn't come up since I've been in Texas.

Yes. It's a two-way street. Patients can fire their doctors too.

I think it's an inappropriate question for a doctor to ask, but I think it's especially inappropriate to chew a patient out over it. That level of arrogance would have me looking for a new doctor too. I don't think I could bring myself to move to Texas over it, though.
Hmac

Postby Countryfried Frank on Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:16 pm

To be fair I dealt with two other MD's in MN after that guy without issue. The move was more for the weather and career change than the doctor.
"Sometimes we have to get really high to see how small we are." - Felix Baumgartner
Countryfried Frank

Postby BigBlue on Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:16 pm

Countryfried Frank wrote:I was asked by my former doctor once after not answering on the form. I told him that wasn't his business. He went ahead and chewed me out and claimed it was his business when he had to come in to the emergency room because I accidentally shot myself or someone else. I let him know I was a responsible husband and father and I would seek counsel from someone qualified to give it if I had any questions about firearms. I never did go back there.

It hasn't come up since I've been in Texas.

WTF was his point with that comment?? Like you telling him you have a firearm is going to magically prevent any firearms-related accidents? Or that if you came into the ER with a gunshot wound and it was noted on your record that you owned one then that would get you quicker treatment?? Or that he would be able to 'educate' you and avoid trips to the emergency room? I didn't think a doctor was responsible for that. Sounds like it was an emotional blurt-out from someone with an irrational fear of firearms that actually had no rationality behind it. Mind your own ******** business, doc.

BB
BigBlue

Postby Hmac on Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:31 pm

BigBlue wrote: Or that he would be able to 'educate' you and avoid trips to the emergency room? I didn't think a doctor was responsible for that.

Getting advice about how to stay out of the emergency room is a big part of what people pay doctors to do. This particular doctor carried it a little too far and brought his own personal biases into the interview. Inappropriate IMHO.
Hmac

Postby Spartan on Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:09 pm

I like to tell my kid's DR about my assault rifles... you know Brown Bess, 1858 Enfield, Kentucky rifle .... guns used in military conflicts ... assault rifles ....
Spartan

Postby LePetomane on Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:35 pm

Countryfried Frank wrote:I was asked by my former doctor once after not answering on the form. I told him that wasn't his business. He went ahead and chewed me out and claimed it was his business when he had to come in to the emergency room because I accidentally shot myself or someone else.

That is a very condescending remark from a physician. At that point he (or she) would be my former physician, also.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby Grayskies on Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:00 pm

Spartan wrote:I like to tell my kid's DR about my assault rifles... you know Brown Bess, 1858 Enfield, Kentucky rifle .... guns used in military conflicts ... assault rifles ....

1858 a reproduction? Does it shoot well?
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Grayskies on Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:10 pm

LePetomane wrote:
Countryfried Frank wrote:I was asked by my former doctor once after not answering on the form. I told him that wasn't his business. He went ahead and chewed me out and claimed it was his business when he had to come in to the emergency room because I accidentally shot myself or someone else.

That is a very condescending remark from a physician. At that point he (or she) would be my former physician, also.

:iagree:

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby cobb on Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:47 am

I would ask if he is cheating on his wife or leads a sexually active life style. Yes that is my business, when he is examining me or other family members I have the right to know what kind of risks he is exposing us to because of his sexual promiscuity.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby 20mm on Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:37 am

Countryfried Frank wrote:I was asked by my former doctor once after not answering on the form. I told him that wasn't his business.

I don't answer any of the stupid questions. They even ask you the same stuff when you get an eye exam.
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby Grayskies on Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:57 am

cobb wrote:

I would ask if he is cheating on his wife or leads a sexually active life style. Yes that is my business, when he is examining me or other family members I have the right to know what kind of risks he is exposing us to because of his sexual promiscuity.

True, hepatitis, aids, herpes (simplex, cold sores, gladiatorum)...

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby LarryP on Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:56 pm

One needs to be real careful & explain this to other family members what to say. . Say someone in your family is on a certain medicine or anti depressant.
A doctor could ask your kids, wife, girlfriend etc if guns are in the house.
They could freak and go up their ladder(police, FBI) reporting guns in a "unstable" household. Who knows what could happen.
With more & more mental health talk out there, laws could change fast so they could remove your guns if you're on meds.
I know it's not to common right now, but there's a underlying reason they're asking these questions.
I don't trust them at all.
LarryP

Postby BigBlue on Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:00 pm

Hmac wrote:
BigBlue wrote: Or that he would be able to 'educate' you and avoid trips to the emergency room? I didn't think a doctor was responsible for that.

Getting advice about how to stay out of the emergency room is a big part of what people pay doctors to do. This particular doctor carried it a little too far and brought his own personal biases into the interview. Inappropriate IMHO.

Really?? I don't see them offering much advice on safe driving or downhill skiing.
BigBlue

Postby MJY65 on Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:38 pm

BigBlue wrote:Really?? I don't see them offering much advice on safe driving or downhill skiing.

Actually, I have been asked about seat belt wear.
MJY65

Postby Hmac on Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:30 pm

cobb wrote:I would ask if he is cheating on his wife or leads a sexually active life style. Yes that is my business, when he is examining me or other family members I have the right to know what kind of risks he is exposing us to because of his sexual promiscuity.

In these days where we are increasingly moving toward the nanny state, there are a lot of public health issues that are getting more and more attention by a variety of groups. Largely at the behest of the Federal government, which has lots of money and is spreading it around to buy influence, many or most of the medical specialty organizations have bought into that ******** and we now see them pushing a public health role to their members/physicians whose traditional role has always been disease diagnosis, treatment, and prevention. Now, the Feds are bribing doctors to gather data for them. And it's working, one reason why these kinds of threads exist.

IMHO, these things like guns in the home, seatbelts, other lifestyle choices, are none of your doctor's business and personally, I refuse to answer those questions in the (rare) event I would ever be asked them. I understand the satisfaction of daydreaming about your fantasy response as above to questions like that, but it doesn't accomplish anything other than some brief childish gratification and is likely to leave you looking for a new doctor. The doctor that asks those questions isn't being rude, he/she is practicing medicine according to their conscience and what they are trained is their role. If you disagree, it will be just as effective to ignore the question, answer "no", or even go so far as to say "I don't think that's any of your business, doc". And if it's that annoying to you that you feel the need to insult him/her, then you'd both be far better off if you just found a different doctor. The ones that don't care about that lifestyle ******** and won't ask you about it are out there...I know many of them.
Hmac

PreviousNext

Return to In The News