Doctors Asking Parents about gun ownership

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Doctors Asking Parents about gun ownership

Postby farmerj on Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:49 pm

that's just it, if you HAVE health or life insurance and have signed a release, you HAVE signed that release. I was told it's the standard release wording for not only BCBS, but also Primerica.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby The Famous Grouse on Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:21 pm

Ironbear wrote:
Hmac wrote:Doctors don't "report" anything in routine patient care. The only place that doctors have to put patient information is in the medical record...that's where all the information goes. They use it to deliver patient care. The extent to which other groups or entities have access to it or how they use it is beyond the doctor's control.

So are you saying that the mandatory reporting requirements for health care workers don't really exist (for example, suspected child abuse)? Or are you just saying that because it isn't the doctor who picks up the phone or sends the email, that 'doctor's don't "report" anything'?

What mystifies me in this whole discussion is why people think that getting physicians to slowly and covertly collect info on gun ownership would be a good way for the government or anyone else get this information.

As I pointed out, the information on who owns guns is already out there and the government ALREADY has it. If you just started with the existing records of anyone who has applied for some kind of gun-related permit and anyone who has bought a hunting license where a firearm is used or likely to be used, you would have tens of millions of people already on the list and more would get added each year.

Also, mailing lists that contain the names of gun owners are feely available for purchase.

Welcome to the Big Data era, boys and girls. If you think that it all started with asking doctors to collect info about guns, you're coming really late to the party. I'm not saying it's a good thing, but the uncomfortable reality is that it is highly likely that "they" already know that you own guns. Smartass retorts to your doctor won't change that.

Grouse
The Famous Grouse

Postby BigBlue on Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:09 pm

The Famous Grouse wrote:What mystifies me in this whole discussion is why people think that getting physicians to slowly and covertly collect info on gun ownership would be a good way for the government or anyone else get this information.

As I pointed out, the information on who owns guns is already out there and the government ALREADY has it. If you just started with the existing records of anyone who has applied for some kind of gun-related permit and anyone who has bought a hunting license where a firearm is used or likely to be used, you would have tens of millions of people already on the list and more would get added each year.

Also, mailing lists that contain the names of gun owners are feely available for purchase.

Welcome to the Big Data era, boys and girls. If you think that it all started with asking doctors to collect info about guns, you're coming really late to the party. I'm not saying it's a good thing, but the uncomfortable reality is that it is highly likely that "they" already know that you own guns. Smartass retorts to your doctor won't change that.

Grouse

It's not a good way for the gov to do it, but it is a way. And it offers absolutely zero benefit to the patient. Why give them one more way for absolutely no benefit? At least when you fill out a 4473 and the background check happens you're getting a gun.

More importantly, it allows insurers to get the info. They want it so they can charge more to people they deem to be at a higher risk level. So you are voluntarily providing info that will be used against you. Is it somehow available elsewhere? Yes, but not in a fashion an insurance company could use to validly raise your premium.

Do what you want, it's a free country. But I won't willingly give info that isn't pertinent to my healthcare.

BB
BigBlue

Postby Ron Burgundy on Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:16 pm

More importantly, it allows insurers to get the info. They want it so they can charge more to people they deem to be at a higher risk level. So you are voluntarily providing info that will be used against you. Is it somehow available elsewhere? Yes, but not in a fashion an insurance company could use to validly raise your premium.

[/quote]
Most people have pooled insurance policies. Poor health of those in your pool has a far greater impact that the insurer using this question as a means to back door into your records to raise the pool rate. I could be speaking out of school but it was my understanding most pools are based on loss history rather than the quantitative health metrics of the insured. If I'm wrong, the insured pool (or a material sample size) would likely be required to undergo a health assessment.

If your policy is based on your health then the issue is null. Your insurer will ask you directly, not through your Dr, if they want to gun ownership to impact your premiums.

Again, think of the question as a way to evangelize the virtues of gun ownership.
Ron Burgundy

Postby rottenit on Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:17 pm

Simple, just say "no". I don't own one. **** them.
m going to make some founding fathers quote up so it furthers a cause I believe in...

"Barak Obama is the beginning of the end of our country." - George Washington & Thomas Jefferson
rottenit

Postby tman on Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:43 pm

They're trying to frame it as a public health issue. It may take years.

Chess, not checkers.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby 20mm on Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:42 pm

Don't believe Hmac, believe the actual news. They're going to tell you exactly how they're going to screw you before they do it.

It's funner for them.
Feds Plan For 35 Agencies To Collect, Share, Use Health Records of Americans
The Weekly Standard reports, "This week, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) announced the release of the Federal Health IT Strategic Plan 2015-2020, which details the efforts of some 35 departments and agencies of the federal government and their roles in the plan to 'advance the collection, sharing, and use of electronic health information to improve health care, individual and community health, and research.' ... Now that HHS has publicly released the Federal Health IT Strategic Plan, the agency is seeking the input from the public before implementation. The plan is subject to two-month period of public comment before finalization. The comment period runs through February 6, 2015." Among the many agencies that will be sharing records besides Health and Human Services are: Department of Agriculture, Department of Defense, Department of Education, Department of Justice and Bureau of Prison, Department of Labor, Federal Communications Commission, Federal Trade Commission, National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Office of Personnel Management, National Institute of Standards and Technology.

Don't worry paranoid people, it's for your own good.

They'll even ask you via public comment if you like being screwed.
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:10 pm

Might as well shove a microphome up my ass so the can record every time I fart. Zero privacy in this country. Russica will be the new name of this counrty. Produce your papers before leaving your home. Sorry folks, this crap just chaps my ass!
Bearcatrp

Postby OldmanFCSA on Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:35 pm

I was in the hospital again today for miscellaneous reasons, and while waiting, noticed a new issue of a Guns&Ammo magazine in the waiting area. What the heck = I picked it up and read it.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Hmac on Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:36 pm

20mm wrote:Don't believe Hmac, believe the actual news.

Heh. Because "the news" always gets it right.
Hmac

Postby Hmac on Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:40 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:I was in the hospital again today for miscellaneous reasons, and while waiting, noticed a new issue of a Guns&Ammo magazine in the waiting area. What the heck = I picked it up and read it.

OMG. You fell for the trap. That magazine was electronically connected to "The Government" and your interest in it was recorded and transmitted to that Black Helicopter that was circling overhead. No, no...not a Black Helicopter...a drone. Yeah, a drone.
Hmac

Postby OldmanFCSA on Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:45 pm

Hmac wrote:
OldmanFCSA wrote:I was in the hospital again today for miscellaneous reasons, and while waiting, noticed a new issue of a Guns&Ammo magazine in the waiting area. What the heck = I picked it up and read it.

OMG. You fell for the trap. That magazine was electronically connected to "The Government" and your interest in it was recorded and transmitted to that Black Helicopter that was circling overhead. No, no...not a Black Helicopter...a drone. Yeah, a drone.

I think my FCSA 2014 World Championship shirt might give it away more so than reading a magazine.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Ron Burgundy on Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:46 pm

Plus now they've got your prints
Ron Burgundy

Postby OldmanFCSA on Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:55 pm

They've had them for a long time. Since early 1980's. Required for obtaining a carry permit for FFL Dealers in some other states.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Spartan on Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:26 pm

Grayskies wrote:
Spartan wrote:I like to tell my kid's DR about my assault rifles... you know Brown Bess, 1858 Enfield, Kentucky rifle .... guns used in military conflicts ... assault rifles ....

1858 a reproduction? Does it shoot well?

I was being a smart A** .... I don't really have 1858 repro....
Spartan

PreviousNext

Return to In The News