Newtown Lawsuit vs. Bushmaster, Camden, et al

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Newtown Lawsuit vs. Bushmaster, Camden, et al

Postby gdubya on Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:51 pm

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/it ... -35640.php

I considered posting this under the Humor Section. Just read the actual text of the suit, the claims are so wildly inaccurate and misinformed it is comical. I'm pretty sure that this was filed as a de rigueur action, simply because Bushmaster has settled claims before to make someone shut up and go away.

My favorite:
"rifles like the XM15-E2S are capable of propelling ammunition at 4,000
feet per second, which multiplies the lethality of each hit."
gdubya

Re: Newtown Lawsuit vs. Bushmaster, Camden, et al

Postby Lumpy on Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:27 pm

They'd have to ban tobacco and alcohol if similar standards were used.
Lumpy

Postby photogpat on Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:32 pm

Murdering psycho kid stole the gun from his Mom after he killed her....don't see how either the manufacturer or retailer could have stopped that.

If Bushmaster settles I vote a S&W style boycott.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:13 pm

photogpat wrote:Murdering psycho kid stole the gun from his Mom after he killed her....don't see how either the manufacturer or retailer could have stopped that.

Respectfully I would hope we would wait to see how it came to be and why they settled. Sometimes settlements mean you are still in business to fight another day. I would not be so quick to throw big green under the bus.
Holland&Holland

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:42 pm

Lets see.... Do folks successfully sew a drug maker when the doctor uses the drug the wrong way and kills a patient?
Do folks successfully sew the auto maker when a drunk driver kills innocent people?

HELL NO! Why this BS lawsuit is even allowed to begin with is just plain stupid. They need to fix this judicial system real bad.
Bearcatrp

Postby Grayskies on Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:51 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/15/fa ... ker-seller

Bill Sherlach, whose wife, Mary, was killed in the shooting, said he believes in the Second Amendment but also that the gun industry needs to be held to "standard business practices" when it comes to assuming the risk for producing, making and selling a product.

So if some teen kills their parent steals their Assault Car and runs over kids at a school, The manufacturer and the dealership are liable?

I am really tired of this I believe in the 2A or are pro-gun but... "some gun ban, gun control law, lawsuit, etc... Goes here" BS!
Last edited by Grayskies on Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby photogpat on Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:59 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
photogpat wrote:Murdering psycho kid stole the gun from his Mom after he killed her....don't see how either the manufacturer or retailer could have stopped that.

Respectfully I would hope we would wait to see how it came to be and why they settled. Sometimes settlements mean you are still in business to fight another day. I would not be so quick to throw big green under the bus.

Frivolous lawsuits filed then settled for a fraction piss me off from a professional standpoint and do nothing for their stated goal of "think of the children".
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:26 pm

photogpat wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

Frivolous lawsuits filed then settled for a fraction piss me off from a professional standpoint and do nothing for their stated goal of "think of the children".

i can understand that. The litigiousness of our society in general gets to me sometimes.
Holland&Holland

Postby MXGreg on Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:35 pm

From the Foxnews article:

"In fact, one of the Army's specifications for the AR-15 was that it has the capability to penetrate a steel helmet."

I'm going to have to get a steel helmet and see if I can thrust one of my rifles through it, because that's what it was made for, right? :roll:
MXGreg

Postby adam21584 on Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:37 am

Might be a good idea to contact the law firm and let them know how the pro gun side of the country feels may change some views if they are flooded with factual responses.
adam21584

Postby LePetomane on Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:09 am

Any time the first words out of someone's mouth refer to their support of 2A, I am put on alert.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Return to In The News