MWAG - St. Louis Park

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

MWAG - St. Louis Park

Postby ex-LT on Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:57 pm

Man With a Gun reported at St. Louis Park Byerly's

Search spreads to Edina

Intense police activity late Tuesday morning possibly involving gunfire has led officers to a St. Louis Park grocery store, where numerous law enforcement vehicles converged, according to witnesses.

As of early afternoon, squad cars were positioned outside the Byerly’s near Hwy. 100 and Excelsior Boulevard. Officers with weapons drawn and accompanied by K-9 were positioned behind their vehicles.

A police officer on the scene who was assisting with sealing off nearby streets said a man with a gun was in the grocery store parking lot.

Byerly’s employees standing outside said some of their coworkers kept themselves in locked rooms for a time.

Shortly before 1 p.m., a half-dozen or so officers went into the Byerly’s liquor store entrance. A law enforcement helicopter and an ambulance stationed outside had left. Moments later, a large group of people left the store cheering as they boarded a bus.

Police attention was shifting to the west edge of Edina, where police have closed all northbound lanes of Hwy. 169 north of the Crosstown.

At the AAA auto club next to the Byerly’s, two sides of the building were closed to traffic. “We are all safe here,” said AAA spokesman Garrison McMurtrey.

The chain of events apparently started about 10 a.m., when police arrived at a home in the 700 block of 8th Avenue S. in Hopkins and ordered anyone inside to come out.

Resident Ryan Coplan said his girlfriend was there alone when officers “came on bullhorns with ‘who’s ever inside, come out with your hands up.’ ”

Coplan, who said he moved in less than a year ago, said his girlfriend later called him and said the officers had “guns drawn, searched the house and went on their way.”

Police told her they were investigating “shots fired at a cop” in St. Louis Park, Coplan added.

Soon after, around 11 a.m., undercover officers with their weapons clearly visible were investigating a barbershop on Excelsior in Hopkins, across the street from the Blake School. A barbershop employee explained that police attention on his business was “a misunderstanding.”

No agencies have released any information about the activities, although the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office described the situation in St. Louis Park as “ongoing” and asked people to stay away from the scene.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

MWAG - St. Louis Park

Postby BBeckwith on Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:28 pm

All the fun stuff happens when I'm out of town.
The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its dumbest member, divided by the number of people in it.
BBeckwith

Re: MWAG - St. Louis Park

Postby rtk on Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:04 pm

BBeckwith wrote:All the fun stuff happens when I'm out of town.

It was all on the Southside of town. ;)
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby Lumpy on Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:49 am

Anyone know what this firearm is?

Lumpy

Postby forcefed on Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:17 am

HK G36 variant.
forcefed

Postby 20mm on Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:51 am

Lumpy wrote:Anyone know what this firearm is?

One that has a sucky "operator".
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby armedwalleye on Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:10 pm

But it does answer the question about law enforcement and coupled mags.
The weaponized fish.....
armedwalleye

Postby MWAG on Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:38 pm

I had nothing to do with this
I've been wrong once in my life

GOCRA member
MWAG

Postby 20mm on Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:06 am

armedwalleye wrote:But it does answer the question about law enforcement and coupled mags.

That's true, but it really makes you wonder why they couldn't afford an optic for it.

Probably a show and tell item they use when they're recruiting at the local schools. M-16 just isn't cool enough for the Call of Duty crowd.
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby Erud on Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:37 pm

20mm wrote:
armedwalleye wrote:But it does answer the question about law enforcement and coupled mags.

That's true, but it really makes you wonder why they couldn't afford an optic for it.

Probably a show and tell item they use when they're recruiting at the local schools. M-16 just isn't cool enough for the Call of Duty crowd.

If Minnetonka PD can't afford an optic, they could at least point out to that dork that POI does not = POA when holding your rifle at a 45º angle. At least he has the mag inserted the right way. :roll:
Erud

Postby jshuberg on Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:57 pm

He zeroed it at a 45 degree angle. He's tactical that way ;)
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby westhope on Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:30 pm

Can the stock be folded with the coupled magazine inserted?
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Return to In The News