Seems like a lawsuit in the making

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby BigBlue on Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:03 pm

From http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/06/29/captured-inmate-david-sweat-in-critical-condition-as-police-wait-to-interview/ about the recent capture of the second escaped inmate in NY.

Sweat was captured alive, but badly injured around 3:20 p.m. Sunday, when State Police Sgt. Jay Cook spotted Sweat walking down a road in the town of Constable, about 1½ miles from the Canadian border. Sweat cut toward a line of trees and refused commands to stop, authorities said.

Fearing Sweat could make it to the tree line and disappear into the forest, Cook fired two shots and hit Sweat in the torso, New York State Police Superintendent Joseph D’Amico said.

I thought use of deadly force was only if the officer was in peril from the bad guy? Shooting an escapee in the back (cleverly wordsmithed as 'torso' in the news) seems to contradict that standard. So is this a standard alternative to actual physical apprehension or a lawsuit in the making?

BB
BigBlue

Re: Seems like a lawsuit in the making

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:18 pm

For an escaped killer I would think there is already an unspoken peril.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby jshuberg on Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:23 pm

It depends entirely on state law, but here in MN the officer would be able to make a good argument that deadly force was justified.

MN 609.066 wrote:Subd. 2.Use of deadly force. Notwithstanding the provisions of section 609.06 or 609.065, the use of deadly force by a peace officer in the line of duty is justified only when necessary:
(1) to protect the peace officer or another from apparent death or great bodily harm;
(2) to effect the arrest or capture, or prevent the escape, of a person whom the peace officer knows or has reasonable grounds to believe has committed or attempted to commit a felony involving the use or threatened use of deadly force; or
(3) to effect the arrest or capture, or prevent the escape, of a person whom the officer knows or has reasonable grounds to believe has committed or attempted to commit a felony if the officer reasonably believes that the person will cause death or great bodily harm if the person's apprehension is delayed.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=609.066

Since the guy was an escaped convict, who had previously killed people. If allowed to escape there may be reasonable grounds to believe that he would kill again if he felt is was necessary to remain at large.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Nougat on Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:10 pm

2) to effect the arrest or capture, of a person whom the peace officer knows has committed or attempted to commit a felony involving the use or threatened use of deadly force- I think this one works pretty well for escaped killers

no matter who you are can you really get away with disobeying orders from police around the borders in the woods?
even going to the family cabin (in Canada)to go fishing and coming home was a big deal when I was little.
Last edited by Nougat on Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nougat

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:32 pm

What they said and I'll add that when you do bad things and then try to skip out on paying society for the debt and then cost that society again in searching for you, putting citizens in fear, a lot of legal discretion in your favor is lost. I can't imagine any judge wanting to deal with that **** show.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:34 am

They need to bring back "capture dead or alive" when these turds break out of jail. But am hoping the cops didn't screw the pooch by displaying him sitting up like a trophy with 2 bullet holes in him. I can see some scum bag lawyer see an opportunity to help this lowlife . They should have capped the SOB, but thats my opinion.
Bearcatrp

Postby bstrawse on Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:51 pm

BigBlue wrote:From http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/06/29/captured-inmate-david-sweat-in-critical-condition-as-police-wait-to-interview/ about the recent capture of the second escaped inmate in NY.

Sweat was captured alive, but badly injured around 3:20 p.m. Sunday, when State Police Sgt. Jay Cook spotted Sweat walking down a road in the town of Constable, about 1½ miles from the Canadian border. Sweat cut toward a line of trees and refused commands to stop, authorities said.

Fearing Sweat could make it to the tree line and disappear into the forest, Cook fired two shots and hit Sweat in the torso, New York State Police Superintendent Joseph D’Amico said.

I thought use of deadly force was only if the officer was in peril from the bad guy? Shooting an escapee in the back (cleverly wordsmithed as 'torso' in the news) seems to contradict that standard. So is this a standard alternative to actual physical apprehension or a lawsuit in the making?

BB

Escaped murderer, immediate public danger - I imagine this is pretty clear in NY State law (though I did not go look)
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby PhilaBOR on Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:16 pm

In the MAG40 class Mas talked about shooting a fleeing bad guy. I don't remember the details but basically what they said above. If you're sure he's a bad guy and very likely he will do really bad things if he gets away.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations..."
PhilaBOR

Postby Boone on Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:54 am

NY 30:35 clearly lays out a peace officer using deadly force.

Also, Tenn vs Garner.
"Once a Marine, always a Marine...

...why re-enlist?"
Boone

Postby Snakeman721 on Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:06 pm

Sorta related topic....since when did NY have a spare THOUSAND cops to go out searching for these guys over the last couple of weeks. Seems like waaaaaay too many cops getting paid for sitting around when there's NOT someone to be searching for. Just saying.......
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Postby Nougat on Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:16 pm

There are approximately 35,000 (thirty five thousand) New York City police officers. According to Wikipedia, the exact count as of 2009 was 35,284-6 years ago.
1,200 police and federal authorities

so maybe a few non new york city new york cops were involved?
1000 isn't alot...Taking part in a manhunt doesn't mean they were doing nothing before, I'm glad if they could give a few less traffic tickets or whatever to catch an escaped killer :shock:

:?:
1000 involved doesn't even mean at the same time either, so they swapped some shifts around etc. its not like its 1000 guys going though the woods in a sweep arms linked or anything
Nougat

Postby bstrawse on Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:28 am

Snakeman721 wrote:Sorta related topic....since when did NY have a spare THOUSAND cops to go out searching for these guys over the last couple of weeks. Seems like waaaaaay too many cops getting paid for sitting around when there's NOT someone to be searching for. Just saying.......

I'm sure other duties were set aside for this manhunt, which was led by the NY State Police & the NY State Department of Corrections.

b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby harryset on Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:39 am

Shooting Sweat in the back was one of several reasons given, as to why the State wouldn't choose to drag him back into court.
stercus accidit
It's not the LAWS you necessarily have to worry about, it's how the laws are regulated.

Send Me
harryset

Return to In The News