Mississippi River defensive gun use

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Mississippi River defensive gun use

Postby Citiot on Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:36 pm

Lesson from nature. Adolescent males need a role model.

In a nutshell, adolescent males of all species need guidance from older males.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-delinquents/
Citiot

Postby Squib Joe on Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:39 pm

Older males other than the type in the video above :roll:
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Ghost on Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:01 pm

Looks pretty harmless
Ghost

Postby unfitmother on Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:35 pm

Ghost wrote:Looks pretty harmless

While I will wait for more more facts to come out before I pass judgement on either side, I will agree, those photos do not make Lavauntai seem like a harmful person; substance use is a non-violent crime, and doing a selfie with a gun on private property is not a crime.
Semper Gumby
unfitmother

Postby ijosef on Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:33 am

They're saying the kid *may* have gotten the gun from a car he stole earlier (or had a role in stealing at least). A car was boosted recently and the owner had two guns inside. When the cops recovered the car, it had a bunch of stuff inside that wasn't his including a basketball with the dead kid's moniker written on it:
http://www.twincities.com/crime/ci_2858 ... botched-st

After having worked at my place of employment for the past several years, I have zero sympathy for anyone involved in the thug culture. I believe it is a blight on our society and we would all be much better off if it could be eradicated. That might sound extreme, but I come by my opinion honestly.
ijosef

Postby xd ED on Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:33 am

unfitmother wrote:

While I will wait for more more facts to come out before I pass judgement on either side, I will agree, those photos do not make Lavauntai seem like a harmful person; substance use is a non-violent crime, and doing a selfie with a gun on private property is not a crime.

The subject in the photo is at most 16 yrs old. . .

depends on who's gun it is.

LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby connsolo on Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:19 am

unfitmother wrote:

Oh, got it. Please let us know when you have enough facts to reach a verdict.
connsolo

Postby BigBlue on Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:00 am

The pictures speak for themselves and are totally conclusive evidence that parental failure was involved here. Any parent who lets their kid pose for pics like that and put them on the Internet, who lets their kid use drugs, and who lets their kid wear a shirt like that is a failure as a parent. And as for the "the kid probably only had one parent" thing, that's also a failure of both parents. They could have avoided having a kid if they weren't willing to parent it, and after they did have it they should have taken responsibility to raise it.
BigBlue

Postby xd ED on Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:46 am

^^^^Yep. Someone will be an influence on the kid, if not his family, then the other hood rats.
Looking at some of the photos and videos of this kid, it's worth noting he is the youngest(appearing) of any of the subjects/ actors. The older kids, other adults he surrounded himself with were his de facto 'parents', from which he learned. Typically in such situations, the young, and vulnerable are exploited by the older members using peer pressure and the coaxing to man up/ be an adult and do the dirty work. I don't doubt this dynamic had a hand in the kid's demise.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Ghost on Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:10 am

Either I'm getting really old or he looked really young, I have no idea when the pictures were taken but even in the video he looked 14 if that.

But when he shows up with a mask and a gun it seems that the proper application of lead, ventilation and ability for his body to assume room temperature were reasonable.

I am curious, although it seems this forum has been all about race lately, it's surprising that I haven't seen anything on the victims. With the ever popular narrative of white on black violence it would seem that would have been all over the news no matter the situation. Is this lack of info the police and news doing what they should have all along or is it that this doesn't fit the narrative? Maybe they've learned how to not create a **** storm when one isn't needed?
Ghost

Postby striped1 on Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:29 am

ijosef wrote:
After having worked at my place of employment for the past several years, I have zero sympathy for anyone involved in the thug culture. I believe it is a blight on our society and we would all be much better off if it could be eradicated. That might sound extreme, but I come by my opinion honestly.

Absolutely this^^^100%
striped1

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:05 am

It's hard to have sympathy for any individual who engages in illegal activities and pays for the stupidity in a matter that could reasonably be anticipated. The fact that the deceased embraced a lifestyle that is rooted in an aura of provocation and law breaking only makes it harder to believe that this was a one off kids mistake. If you want to make excuses for this behavior, then you are part of the problem. You make it easier for this aberrant behavior to persist in a civil society.

In the interest of full disclosure I'm a college educated suburban privileged middle aged white male who grew up with traditional Christian values .
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Heffay on Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:13 am

Sibley Warriors REPRESENT!
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby mrp on Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:04 pm

Citiot wrote:Lesson from nature. Adolescent males need a role model.

In a nutshell, adolescent males of all species need guidance from older males.

I like Twain's approach...

"When a child turns 12, he should be kept in a barrel and fed through the bung hole, until he reaches 16 ... at which time you plug the bung hole"
mrp

Postby captnviper on Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:10 pm

"It's better to have a gun and need it then not have one and not need it" Ricky.
captnviper

PreviousNext

Return to In The News