Mississippi River defensive gun use

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Mississippi River defensive gun use

Postby Squib Joe on Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:45 pm

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet. Carry permit holder takes out armed robber in Shadow Falls Park

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/08/0 ... -shooting/
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Re: Mississippi River defensive gun use

Postby ttousi on Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:51 pm

MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby striped1 on Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:53 pm

Well done. It is all over the Star Tribune but they are spinning it as a great kid. What a bunch of BS.
striped1

Postby xd ED on Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:55 pm

The Strib has a pretty straight forward article on the incident, as well:

Police: St. Paul robbery victim had permit to carry when he killed armed suspect - Star Tribune
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Squib Joe on Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:59 pm

"Hearing that the man who shot her son was legally allowed to carry a firearm in public, Leeann Broadbent wondered Monday, “What are the rules?”

She said that “if someone pulled a gun on him, he would have dropped [his]” rather than shoot."

I guess he didn't drop it quick enough
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby xd ED on Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:05 pm

I have to pretty much ignore and disregard anything a mother says in such a situation.
Hers was the the typical kind of response. . . denial, grief. . .

Sounds like the victim is being treated fairly by the system thus far.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby BigBlue on Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:48 pm

Surprisingly, the Red Star ran what is apparently a fairly recent picture of what the misguided yout'. The CBSLocal page has pics of him as a little kid, a-la-Trayvon.

It really sucks that there are places in our society where kids are getting dragged into gangs and crime like this. And that the parents can't keep them out of it. While I have no doubts that the guy's actions led to his own demise, the world would be a better place if that stuff never happened.

BB
BigBlue

Postby westhope on Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:50 pm

It will be interesting if this Defensive Gun Use makes the annual BCA report required by the legislature. None of the other Minnesota DGU's have been listed in the annual reports.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby xd ED on Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:01 pm

BigBlue wrote:Surprisingly, the Red Star ran what is apparently a fairly recent picture of what the misguided yout'. The CBSLocal page has pics of him as a little kid, a-la-Trayvon.

It really sucks that there are places in our society where kids are getting dragged into gangs and crime like this. And that the parents can't keep them out of it. While I have no doubts that the guy's actions led to his own demise, the world would be a better place if that stuff never happened.

BB

At the risk of being called a 20th century neanderthal racist in making my point, I'll point out you used the word 'parents'. One of the news articles mentioned the kid's dad lived in Chicago. Whatever capabilities dad may or may not possess, being 400 miles away doesn't allow for much of the guidance needed.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby 3Spaniels on Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:58 pm

Perhaps I am getting old and can not remember correctly or maybe I missed the announcement, but, when did the law change that allows those under 21 years old to have a handgun?
This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickok-Matthew Quiggley
3Spaniels

Postby MJY65 on Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:31 am

3Spaniels wrote:Perhaps I am getting old and can not remember correctly or maybe I missed the announcement, but, when did the law change that allows those under 21 years old to have a handgun?

You see, that's why we need universal background checks. Yea, that's it. :roll:
MJY65

Postby LarryP on Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:40 pm

It's sad to see a 16 year old end his life like that. What a waste. Prayers sent to all families
LarryP

Postby LePetomane on Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:33 pm

xd ED wrote:
BigBlue wrote:Surprisingly, the Red Star ran what is apparently a fairly recent picture of what the misguided yout'. The CBSLocal page has pics of him as a little kid, a-la-Trayvon.

BB

At the risk of being called a 20th century neanderthal racist in making my point, I'll point out you used the word 'parents'. One of the news articles mentioned the kid's dad lived in Chicago. Whatever capabilities dad may or may not possess, being 400 miles away doesn't allow for much of the guidance needed.

Chances are that the kid's father is not much of a role model, probably a dope dealing tom catting street thug.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby Squib Joe on Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:50 pm

The kid was in a rap video about robbing people

(NSFW) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyDWh0BgsyE
Squib Joe

Postby LePetomane on Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:30 pm

Why aren't the Black Lives Matter activists/bullies banging the drums on this one? And where are Heather and Joan?
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Next

Return to In The News