Northfield man possession of a machine gun

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Northfield man possession of a machine gun

Postby ZeeC on Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:56 am

This sounds more like what is going on in Northfield rather then a malfunction.

According to the testimony of Kiernicki, Olofson's purpose for lending the gun was to sell it to Kiernicki. Kiernicki also testified Olofson knew about the third automatic firing mode, but that it jammed. The prosecution also provided evidence from Olofson's computer with proof of acquiring M-16 parts, which could be used to make an AR-15 automatic, and of Olofson's participation in a group that was described as "vigilante" according to U.S. Assistant Attorney Gergory Haanstad.

However the "vigilante" thing didn't help the guy :shock:
ZeeC

Postby Ghost on Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:35 am

ZeeC wrote:This sounds more like what is going on in Northfield rather then a malfunction.

According to the testimony of Kiernicki, Olofson's purpose for lending the gun was to sell it to Kiernicki. Kiernicki also testified Olofson knew about the third automatic firing mode, but that it jammed. The prosecution also provided evidence from Olofson's computer with proof of acquiring M-16 parts, which could be used to make an AR-15 automatic, and of Olofson's participation in a group that was described as "vigilante" according to U.S. Assistant Attorney Gergory Haanstad.

Maybe that means he was a member here or ARFCOM?
Ghost

Postby igofast on Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:30 am

ZeeC wrote:This sounds more like what is going on in Northfield rather then a malfunction.

My understanding is that it had a M-16 bolt carrier group - which probably 1/2 of AR15's have(and if you read the other thread are preferable to some). If you are to believe the testing procedures, they could not reproduce a Full Auto event until 'soft' primers were used(never a good idea in an AR because of the floating firing pin).

As always, I feel like I'm getting 1/2 of the story. If I am to believe the defense, it seems fairly straightforward. But if the guy was already under investigation, made stupid comments such as "yeah, it's full auto but it doesn't work right now", and/or had a history the Gov't may have used this opportunity to prosecute(not that this makes it right to do so).
igofast

Postby jshuberg on Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:31 pm

It was a hammer follow malfunction. The hammer wasn't captured in the rearward position after being fired, and rode the bolt carrier forward. At around the point where the bolt goes into battery, the hammer comes forward and strikes the firing pin. The spring tension and distance the hammer falls prior to striking the firing pin is a fraction of its normal distance. Typically a hammer follow results in a light primer strike without detonation. It can occasionally fire an additional round or two if the primers are soft enough, and it can also result in an out of battery detonation if the hammer strikes the firing pin before the bolt is locked into battery. This results in a visit to the hospital to have pieces of gun surgically removed from your face.

This can happen for a number of reasons, but it was likely an incorrect part or combination of incorrect parts in the weapon. It could also be caused by a defect, wearing, tolerance stacking in a poorly built gun, etc.

Regardless of what caused the malfunction, the mechanism that allowed multiple rounds to be fired was a malfunction. My guess is he installed a 3 position selector so he could pretend the gun was a machine gun by having a selector that could go into the "auto" position. This interfered with the normal operation of the trigger group and caused the malfunction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby MJY65 on Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:58 am

I guess we can hope that the ATF and prosecutor are able to sort through the difference between a true malfunction and one that was deliberately created.

If not, what's a guy to do if you really do have a gun that doubles at the range? Grandpa's old double barrel lets go on both when you shoot at a pheasant? Assuming the ATF agent isn't lurking in the bushes waiting to pounce, do you take it to a gunsmith and hope he doesn't turn you in? Order a new part and quietly replace it? Throw the gun in the woods and run away? :D

I'm still looking for an example of a case where ATF went after a guy for a legitimately worn out part.
MJY65

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:33 am

I followed the Olofson case fairly closely and I can assure everyone Olofson was not convicted because his rifle "malfunctioned". He was convicted because he modified his trigger group to fire full auto. He was also convicted because his buddy, who was caught firing olofson's rifle full auto (I don't believe for a second it was only one three shot burst), testified against him.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:37 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:I followed the Olofson case fairly closely and I can assure everyone Olofson was not convicted because his rifle "malfunctioned". He was convicted because he modified his trigger group to fire full auto. He was also convicted because his buddy, who was caught firing olofson's rifle full auto (I don't believe for a second it was only one three shot burst), testified against him.

Well there ya go. Definitive proof.
Holland&Holland

Postby JJ on Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:16 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:I followed the Olofson case fairly closely and I can assure everyone Olofson was not convicted because his rifle "malfunctioned". He was convicted because he modified his trigger group to fire full auto. He was also convicted because his buddy, who was caught firing olofson's rifle full auto (I don't believe for a second it was only one three shot burst), testified against him.

If you actually read the legal brief from the case, this becomes apparent. Certain Pro-gun groups have painted a very rosy picture to make that story appear like a prosecution based on malfunction (and do some fundraising). Olofson installed M16 trigger parts in an attempt to circumvent Fed law.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-7th-circuit/1407580.html
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:42 am

JJ wrote:

If you actually read the legal brief from the case, this becomes apparent. Certain Pro-gun groups have painted a very rosy picture to make that story appear like a prosecution based on malfunction (and do some fundraising). Olofson installed M16 trigger parts in an attempt to circumvent Fed law.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-7th-circuit/1407580.html

And the infringement continues...
Holland&Holland

Postby george on Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:27 pm

Keep in mind you don't even have to install the trigger group all you have to do is drill the holes for the auto sear in the receiver and your guilty of a felony.
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Re:

Postby MJY65 on Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:40 pm

george wrote:Keep in mind you don't even have to install the trigger group all you have to do is drill the holes for the auto sear in the receiver and your guilty of a felony.

What purpose would a guy have in drilling it if they weren't planning to install the AS? "Gee, the drill slipped when I was engraving my initials in the receiver and I ended up with these holes."
MJY65

Postby jshuberg on Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:06 pm

There are replica and retro builds people do where they want it to look as close to the original full auto as possible. Some manufacturers have actually engraved a little circle where the sear pin would be so that it looks as close as possible to their full-auto brother. I don't know if anyone has drilled a sear pin hole and has been charged for it, but it could be an innocent reason for someone doing it. However, BATFE considers the presence of a sear pin hole to be constructive intent to build a machine gun. Even if there's no sear to be found.

Modifying a trigger group cannot make an AR15 fire full-auto without a sear of some kind. Period. It can however cause a hammer follow malfunction, which under almost every circumstance results in a light primer strike without detonation. Even in the case above, BATFE concluded after examining the gun it was not a machine gun. They had to look at it a second time, and find ammo sensitive enough that a light primer strike would get it to fire. BATFE does not consider the presence of a full auto selector by itself to make the gun into a machine gun. You can buy them without any paperwork, and install them in a semi-auto firearm if that's what you want to do. There may be more to the story, but it was not and could not have been a fully automatic weapon without a sear.

If the guy *intentionally* caused a hammer follow malfunction in order to get it fire fire an additional round or two per trigger press, he's a moron. However, the purpose of the law is to require registration of "real" full autos, the theory being full autos pose a greater danger to the public. Not to imprison a person for a malfunctioning weapon capable of occasionally firing an extra round or two. This guy and his gun posed a danger to himself, but does not in any way increase the risk to the public the way they theorize an actual machine gun does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Dorian on Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:21 pm

So if a slide fire stock might be considered a "removable" trigger activator under MN law, would the same be true for a TAC-CON 3MR trigger that has an extremely short self resetting trigger that permits rapid fire? I've read that there is a learning curve to the TacCon and simply holding the trigger will not result multiple shots like an MG.

I'm also curious about the possibility of the TAC-CON 3MR trigger having this issue?
"The penalty that good men pay for not being interested in politics is to be governed by men worse than themselves. -Plato, philosopher (427-347 BCE)"
Dorian

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:21 pm

jshuberg wrote:If the guy *intentionally* caused a hammer follow malfunction in order to get it fire fire an additional round or two per trigger press, he's a moron. However, the purpose of the law is to require registration of "real" full autos, the theory being full autos pose a greater danger to the public. Not to imprison a person for a malfunctioning weapon capable of occasionally firing an extra round or two. This guy and his gun posed a danger to himself, but does not in any way increase the risk to the public the way they theorize an actual machine gun does.

We can argue the morality or Constitutionality of the law, but until it's repealed or overturned it it what it is.

Olofson is an idiot who tried to beat the Feds on a technicality. He probably would have gotten a slap on the wrist If he hadn't made such an obnoxious a-hole of himself.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby JJ on Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:31 pm

11/24/15
Attachments
Capture.JPG
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

PreviousNext

Return to In The News