Northfield man possession of a machine gun

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Northfield man possession of a machine gun

Postby Deputyhiro on Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:28 am

Well that's pretty goddam dumb. To possess, let alone sell? He'll get what's coming to him.
It is better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.
Deputyhiro

Postby Ghost on Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:38 am

mrp wrote:Update:

http://www.southernminn.com/northfield_ ... 3e7ab.html

The federal machine gun charge a Northfield man is facing came after he sold a fully-automatic Uzi to a confidential informant, according to a search warrant filed in Rice County.

Oops
Ghost

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:39 am

To top it all off, he was a doper.

Through the investigation, the agent was also able to determine Lasley’s history of drug use, including marijuana, methamphetamine, heroin and possibly cocaine.

Good riddance I say.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby usnret on Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:05 am

The bigger question is where did this looser get a full auto UZI from.
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby JJ on Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:13 am

usnret wrote:The bigger question is where did this looser get a full auto UZI from.

He bought a NoDak spud receiver, a parts kit and assembled it. Ed graduated from tech school with a degree in advanced gunsmithing. He also has worked for at least one firearms manufacturer.

it isn't rocket surgery to convert many semi-auto variants over to FA. He knew what he was doing, and the fact that he ended up with a CI buying from him, leads me to believe that this may not have been the first one.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Deputyhiro on Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:20 pm

My guess is he has a few friends that are frantically exercising their chop saws. ;)
Deputyhiro

Postby Ironbear on Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:23 pm

Deputyhiro wrote:My guess is he has a few friends that are frantically exercising their chop saws. ;)

Or one of those boating accidents...
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby Deputyhiro on Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:10 pm

Ironbear wrote:
Deputyhiro wrote:My guess is he has a few friends that are frantically exercising their chop saws. ;)

Or one of those boating accidents...

Now that's funny. Forgot about the convenient "boating accidents " :lol:
Deputyhiro

Postby Tronster on Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:03 am

A slide-fire stock is a legal gray area in MN. It's not beyond reason that a person could be arrested and charged with unlawful possession of a trigger activator. It's also not beyond reason that a person could be found guilty as well, depending on how the case plays out. The question is, does a slide-fire stock fall within the definition of a Trigger Activator:

MN 609.67 Subd. 1(d) wrote:
"Trigger activator" means a removable manual or power driven trigger activating device constructed and designed so that, when attached to a firearm, the rate at which the trigger may be pulled increases and the rate of fire of the firearm increases to that of a machine gun.

So if a slide fire stock might be considered a "removable" trigger activator under MN law, would the same be true for a TAC-CON 3MR trigger that has an extremely short self resetting trigger that permits rapid fire? I've read that there is a learning curve to the TacCon and simply holding the trigger will not result multiple shots like an MG.
Tronster

Postby MJY65 on Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:22 pm

jshuberg wrote:I'm not saying that this is necessarily the case, just that it's a possibility. There have been people who have been convicted of possession of an unregistered machine gun for simply having a rifle that experienced a hammer-follow malfunction which resulted in more than one round being fired per trigger press.

Has that actually occurred in a case where the shooter hadn't deliberately altered the fire control mechanism?
MJY65

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:33 pm

MJY65 wrote:
jshuberg wrote:I'm not saying that this is necessarily the case, just that it's a possibility. There have been people who have been convicted of possession of an unregistered machine gun for simply having a rifle that experienced a hammer-follow malfunction which resulted in more than one round being fired per trigger press.

Has that actually occurred in a case where the shooter hadn't deliberately altered the fire control mechanism?

I'd like to see some evidence of that myself.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby JJ on Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:53 pm

yukonjasper wrote:
MJY65 wrote:

I'd like to see some evidence of that myself.

http://www.wnd.com/2008/11/80701/

The case arose when Olofson loaned an Olympic Arms AR-15 semi-automatic rifle to a friend, who fired it at a gun range. The weapon reportedly misfired, letting loose several shots at the same time, and drew the interest of authorities.

An initial investigation by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms found it was not a machine gun. However, in a subsequent retest demanded by prosecutors, the agency determined it was a machine gun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Olofson
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby MJY65 on Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:01 pm

^^^^

I don't see anything in that case that says it was a worn part that caused the problem.

My hunch (that's all it is) in most of these cases is that someone took a stone to the sear and either deliberately or inadvertently created a partially functional FA. He started blabbing to his friends about the neat trick and got busted.

BTW: None of my semi auto ARs have a third selector position like the one in the case cited.
MJY65

Postby george on Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:11 pm

There was a man in Milwaukee who was prosecuted for a machine gun when his AR fired more than one round then jammed. The firearm was even under a recall and he was prosecuted anyway. It wasn't that many years ago as I recall.

Edit to add a link to this misfortune. http://www.wnd.com/2008/07/68590/
Last edited by george on Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Re:

Postby MJY65 on Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:51 pm

george wrote:There was a man in Milwaukee who was prosecuted for a machine gun when his AR fired more than one round then jammed. The firearm was even under a recall and he was prosecuted anyway. It wasn't that many years ago as I recall.

I think you are referring to the same case.
MJY65

PreviousNext

Return to In The News