Obama Expected to Close Gun Show Loophole by Executive Order

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Obama Expected to Close Gun Show Loophole by Executive Order

Postby LarryP on Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:43 pm

LarryP

Re: Obama Expected to Close Gun Show Loophole by Executive Order

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:28 pm

It will get challenged and shot down as usual. It doesn't bother me to fill out paperwork to buy a gun but how will they make private party sales do a back ground check? No cost from a store so will there be a charge (probably premium) for individual sales? Can't wait to get the fu%$tard democrats out of the white house!
Bearcatrp

Postby jdege on Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:53 pm

What bothers me is creating a situation in which simple possession of a firearm is illegal, unless you possess the proper paperwork.

Don't be fooled - as soon as we have a legal requirement that every transfer create a paper trail, possession of any firearm manufactured after the date the requirement becomes in force will be illegal, unless you can demonstrate that the proper paperwork exists.

And I've seen the government screw up paperwork far too often to consider that acceptable.
jdege

Postby MJY65 on Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:08 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:It will get challenged and shot down as usual. It doesn't bother me to fill out paperwork to buy a gun but how will they make private party sales do a back ground check?

Probably can't enforce it between individuals that already know each other, but classifieds, etc would be finished.
MJY65

Postby photogpat on Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:13 pm

jdege wrote:What bothers me is creating a situation in which simple possession of a firearm is illegal, unless you possess the proper paperwork.

Don't be fooled - as soon as we have a legal requirement that every transfer create a paper trail, possession of any firearm manufactured after the date the requirement becomes in force will be illegal, unless you can demonstrate that the proper paperwork exists.

And I've seen the government screw up paperwork far too often to consider that acceptable.

^this

It won't be the Government with the responsibility to prove you're in the wrong. It'll be your responsibility to prove you're in the right.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby jdege on Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:15 pm

photogpat wrote:
jdege wrote:What bothers me is creating a situation in which simple possession of a firearm is illegal, unless you possess the proper paperwork.

^this

It won't be the Government with the responsibility to prove you're in the wrong. It'll be your responsibility to prove you're in the right.

Exactly. It reverses the presumption of innocence.
jdege

Postby Lumpy on Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:58 pm

We went through this with the BATFE "expanding the definition" of what types of ammunition were to be considered armor-penetrating. :roll:

Neat! If you don't have the authority to do something, just "expand the definition" of something current laws enforce. For example, they could expand the definition of "school bus" to include my Ferrari. :roll: :roll:

Back in the 18th century, the British authorities got pissed with colonial smugglers evading duties on imports. So the Stamp Act was passed: if any imported item didn't have the official stamp proving the duty had been paid, it was ipso facto illegal. Moreover, British customs agents were given carte blanche authority to kick in the door and search any place they believed smuggled goods were. This among other things led to a bit of kerfuffle beginning in 1776.
Lumpy

Postby 2in2out on Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:17 pm

There's no way to make that (background check for private party sales) enforceable (without registration of all guns), which is why nobody has been stupid enough to try (until now).
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby hammAR on Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:07 pm

I suppose that some expect congress to stop this................ :?
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby LarryP on Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:53 pm

Yup, it's starting small steps,small steps

2in2out wrote:There's no way to make that (background check for private party sales) enforceable (without registration of all guns), which is why nobody has been stupid enough to try (until now).
LarryP

Postby LePetomane on Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:58 am

2in2out wrote:There's no way to make that (background check for private party sales) enforceable (without registration of all guns), which is why nobody has been stupid enough to try (until now).

Actually the Nazis did and look what happened.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby goalie on Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:17 am

hammAR wrote:I suppose that some expect congress to stop this................ :?

Yeah, I'll hold my breath.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby george on Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:25 pm

It's beginning to look like Obama wants to go out as the president who can bypass congress whenever he wants.
Going to be a long year. ..
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:34 pm

Should be the president who goes to jail for breaking the law. But because it will look bad on us, they won't bother. He has to be one of the worst presidents in US history.
Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:23 pm

Link does not work. Did he sign this order?
Holland&Holland

Next

Return to In The News