Carrying a long gun in public - lawsuit filed.

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Carrying a long gun in public - lawsuit filed.

Postby bstrawse on Fri May 06, 2016 6:37 pm

We weren't aware of this case but the state pre-emption law is quite clear on this issue as has been noted above.

Bryan
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby wasfuzz on Fri May 06, 2016 9:59 pm

The D-bags at MN Gun Rights are all worked up over this case and are busy buying up tin foil to make hats and running around saying the sky is falling on their site! :roll:
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby yukonjasper on Fri May 06, 2016 11:18 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
yukonjasper wrote:D-BAG move. If you are planning to be a test case, consult with some people smarter than you and figure out if you do win your specific fight, .

You assume he didn't. I suspect not everyone in the state checks with you personally. I know, it might be hard to believe.

I can bet he didn't check with anyone. Not that he has to but I can't imagine anyone who worked hard to get the current laws in place egging him on. The negative impact far outweigh anything positive. As mentioned the preemption was already in place and affirmed. The St Cloud police made a mistake. They were informed of the mistake. Galante hero for all of our rights was released. So he suing for what- hurt feelings-to point out how stupid the police are? I wish people would check with someone with an IQ greater than their shoe size. Common sense would tell you that this is not a good idea. If it was unintentional, slightly different, but still pretty stupid.

As has been mentioned, he is going to have to prove he was harmed in some way. I don't see it.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Randygmn on Sat May 07, 2016 12:19 pm

A right not exercised will surely be lost or taken away. Just because some don't see the utility of having this right (that is essentially true if you feel it's "stupid" to exercise it", doesn't mean it's important to retain it. That's it in a nutshell. There doesn't need to be anymore analyzing or discussion. Those that want to infringe, MUST be stopped. NOT ONE MORE INCH.
Randygmn

Postby yukonjasper on Sat May 07, 2016 1:47 pm

Well we know who to cast for 300 The Sequel. None of the HARDCORES have explained what is to be gained. Exactly what impact will this have to advance the Second Amendment rights? Conversely, look at the potential for harm to the rights already in place that clearly allows someone to do just as he did. All changes were dropped because he had the technical right to do it. So he wins, what does it prove? The publicity stunt draws more attention to the issue than is warranted and gives the anti crowd something to rally behind and question.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby george on Sat May 07, 2016 3:11 pm

Sounds pretty liberal to me, explain why you can do something that you can legally do or you shouldn't do it, ..what?
What would stop any City or municipality from doing the same thing if there is never any penalty for doing it in my opinion that would be good enough reason.
What I would like to know is if he incurred any expenses defending himself over this thing and if he did he should have every right to recoup them.
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Postby Ghost on Sat May 07, 2016 3:44 pm

It's times like this when you must realize nearly everything in this world would be better if people learned to MYOB, police included
Ghost

Postby wasfuzz on Sat May 07, 2016 6:43 pm

Ghost wrote:It's times like this when you must realize nearly everything in this world would be better if people learned to MYOB, police included

I hope next time you need a cop - "he MYOB", let me know how that works out for you!! :lol:
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby Bearcatrp on Sat May 07, 2016 6:49 pm

Police could have check the law when they confronted the guy instead of arresting him, putting the incident on record (which can't be removed, just show dismissed), which could stop him from getting a potential job if they run a record check. I don't see the point in pushing the limits of the law but thats up to the individual to make that decision. Not mine. From what I saw on tv, he just wants st cloud to remove the city ordinance. I didn't know a city can enact a law in opposite of a state law.
Bearcatrp

Postby Ghost on Sat May 07, 2016 6:57 pm

wasfuzz wrote:
Ghost wrote:It's times like this when you must realize nearly everything in this world would be better if people learned to MYOB, police included

I hope next time you need a cop - "he MYOB", let me know how that works out for you!! :lol:

That falls in the exemption, but people who aren't causing a problem should be left alone. When was the last time a mass murderer walked all the way through town slung up and then started a rampage?

This now makes me want to watch rampage again.
Ghost

Postby Hmac on Sun May 08, 2016 5:54 am

wasfuzz wrote:

uh...what? If the guy need a cop, that IS the cop's business, right?
Hmac

Postby Hmac on Sun May 08, 2016 5:58 am

Bearcatrp wrote:Police could have check the law when they confronted the guy instead of arresting him, putting the incident on record (which can't be removed, just show dismissed), which could stop him from getting a potential job if they run a record check. I don't see the point in pushing the limits of the law but thats up to the individual to make that decision. Not mine. From what I saw on tv, he just wants st cloud to remove the city ordinance. I didn't know a city can enact a law in opposite of a state law.

To be realistic about it, getting hassled by the police for carrying an AK47 out on the street is not exactly an UN predictable outcome. I'd have to assume that he took getting arrested into account when he slung that rifle and decided to go for a walk. Maybe that was even the point of the exercise.....
Hmac

Postby jdege on Sun May 08, 2016 6:32 am

Hmac wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:Police could have check the law when they confronted the guy instead of arresting him, putting the incident on record (which can't be removed, just show dismissed), which could stop him from getting a potential job if they run a record check. I don't see the point in pushing the limits of the law but thats up to the individual to make that decision. Not mine. From what I saw on tv, he just wants st cloud to remove the city ordinance. I didn't know a city can enact a law in opposite of a state law.

To be realistic about it, getting hassled by the police for carrying an AK47 out on the street is not exactly an UN predictable outcome. I'd have to assume that he took getting arrested into account when he slung that rifle and decided to go for a walk. Maybe that was even the point of the exercise.....

The guy I talked to, years back, had just wanted to go hunting on public land, and decided to walk the two miles to get there.

He had no reason to believe that he would be naked by the police for doing something that was explicitly legal under statute. I think that assuming that the guy in this case was looking for trouble is premature. He may have been, but there is no evidence for that in the news reports.
jdege

Postby BigBlue on Sun May 08, 2016 7:07 am

Hmac wrote:To be realistic about it, getting hassled by the police for carrying an AK47 out on the street is not exactly an UN predictable outcome. I'd have to assume that he took getting arrested into account when he slung that rifle and decided to go for a walk. Maybe that was even the point of the exercise.....

That's kind of the point. WHY is it predictable? Is there some dataset that indicates people legally carrying a long gun in public cause crimes or are dangerous? Is there a difference between carrying a long gun versus open-carrying a handgun? I'm not advocating that people regularly carry long guns like this, or even open carry, but when the police predictably hassle someone for a legal activity we have a problem. As others have said, now a legal activity is becoming stigmatized and criminalized. That's not good. Police should assume legality until something demonstrates otherwise. Of course, in this case we have the additional complexity of a city having a law that is not legal or authorized compounding the problem. But I'm mainly responding to Hmac's statement.

BB
BigBlue

Postby farmerj on Sun May 08, 2016 8:52 am

Bearcatrp wrote:....snip.........From what I saw on tv, he just wants st cloud to remove the city ordinance. I didn't know a city can enact a law in opposite of a state law.

They can't.

The state preemption law was already posted
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

PreviousNext

Return to In The News