Evolving, apparenly officer involved shooting

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Evolving, apparenly officer involved shooting

Postby goosed on Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:07 pm

greenfarmer wrote: This whole thing, there are so many things that went wrong. In that woman's video, she said as her boyfriend was reaching back for his wallet to get his ID he said he had a weapon and is a permit carrier. Probably the wrong time to mention that you have a gun, when your in the act of reaching for your wallet.

Probably the wrong time? ... How could it be more wrong?
Last edited by goosed on Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goosed

Postby goosed on Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:34 pm

ttousi wrote: one small item.......we all know MN doesn't require carrying auto registration. So is she misquoted / from out of state / ?..... MN Officers don't ask for registration.

What else is being reported that may not be "correct" I'll wait for more facts

I have been asked for registration during a traffic stop in MN. In fact I had to decline one officers request 6 times during a single stop as I had a loaded firearm w/ permit in the glove box on top of my vehicle registration. Never once asked for insurance information, but round and round we went on whether I was refusing to provide registration information.

All the same... I agree with waiting for all the facts to come out before passing any judgement on either party unlike our beloved (...or maybe not so loved) governor.
goosed

Postby gdubya on Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:57 pm

xd ED wrote:
goett047 wrote:
Nat wrote:A permit holder ostensibly attempting to comply with an officer is shot dead and all you can do is worry about the reaction because he's black? Shouldn't WE be way out ahead of black lives matters in terms of outrage on this?

THIS!

I made one remark as to the racial component, because that was almost the entirety of the content of the comments/ threats on Facebook.
Do you doubt that this will become an lightning rod for the antis, regardless of the facts of the event?
Now as far as US getting outraged- tell me what happened(and how you know that), so we know the facts about that which we should be outraged.

I won't suggest it has any bearing on the primary incident, but do you not find it odd that a person's loved one gets shot sitting next to them and her infant child, and the first response is to immediately start live streaming a video to the internet? I am terribly perplexed by that behavior.

When cops in other incidents elsewhere are caught on camera shooting in the back and planting evidence, why would you NOT document it in a way that cannot be easily seized or destroyed if you are involved in an incident you feel is unjust?

According to a family interview, both victim and his sister have valid MN PTC.
gdubya

Postby wasfuzz on Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:16 pm

TabulaRasa wrote:Bad shoot.

Based on what info you have that no one else does?
Please tell us Carnac(sic) the magician :o ?
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:17 pm

Never been a cop so just asking a question to any law folks here. You don't shoot unless you see a weapon and your in fear of your life. Correct? Since there is no video until after the shooting, hard to tell why he shot. IF the person who was shot did not produce any weapon to cause the officer to shoot, I would think the officer screwed up and panicked. Will have to see how this plays out. Bad situation all around.
Bearcatrp

Postby ttousi on Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:37 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Never been a cop so just asking a question to any law folks here. You don't shoot unless you see a weapon and your in fear of your life. Correct? Since there is no video until after the shooting, hard to tell why he shot. IF the person who was shot did not produce any weapon to cause the officer to shoot, I would think the officer screwed up and panicked. Will have to see how this plays out. Bad situation all around.

By the time you see a weapon and your brain processes it .........probably too late
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby ttousi on Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:40 pm

I have been asked for registration during a traffic stop in MN. In fact I had to decline one officers request 6 times during a single stop as I had a loaded firearm w/ permit in the glove box on top of my vehicle registration.

What do you (or the cop ) consider registration?
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby Norsesmithy on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:04 pm

I'm outraged, and frankly you all need to be too. One of our own killed for making the mistake of informing police he was carrying and choosing the wrong set of conflicting instructions to follow.

And those racebaiters at BLM are going to make hay because they've finally got a victim who wasn't a scumbag. If we don't make our mark on this, if we don't help push for higher standards of training, if we don't push to remind cops that they ARE civilians, just like the rest of us, we've done a great disservice to the cause of liberty in general, and firearms freedoms specifically.
Norsesmithy

Postby TabulaRasa on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:04 pm

wasfuzz wrote:
TabulaRasa wrote:Bad shoot.

Based on what info you have that no one else does?
Please tell us Carnac(sic) the magician :o ?

Based on a few things...

His family & child were in the car.
He had no criminal record.
He had been employed at the same place for the past 14 years.
He was a lawful permit holder.

Given the above, do you really believe that the deceased was reaching for his gun to shoot the cop?

Does a permit holder usually choose to inform the police officer they are a permit holder and are carrying a gun because they don't want to get shot?

After the cop completed his extrajudicial execution of the victim/suspect, he exclaimed "I told him not to reach for it, I told him to get his head (hands?) up."

The cop then repeatedly swears & cusses, almost like he knows he f*ked up...

If the Falcon Heights police officer thinks they are really in the right, then they should proceed with charging the deceased survivors with having a broken tail light on their vehicle. Afterall, that was the stated cause of the traffic stop in the first place.
TabulaRasa

Postby xd ED on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:07 pm

gdubya wrote:
When cops in other incidents elsewhere are caught on camera shooting in the back and planting evidence, why would you NOT document it in a way that cannot be easily seized or destroyed if you are involved in an incident you feel is unjust?

According to a family interview, both victim and his sister have valid MN PTC.

I'd be more tempted to accept that reasoning as an explanation for otherwise bizarre behavior if the stop was recorded from the beginning, rather than the middle.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby atomic41 on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:20 pm

Norsesmithy wrote:I'm outraged, and frankly you all need to be too. One of our own killed

And those racebaiters at BLM are going to make hay because they've finally got a victim who wasn't a scumbag. .

He was one of your own?

http://freedomdaily.com/black-hates-whi ... n-heights/

:?:
Last edited by atomic41 on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atomic41

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:33 pm

While the evidence we have seen doesn't look good for the decision made by the officer, we don't have all the facts. The video is very compelling and very emotional, so it's natural that it will have a powerful effect on people's opinions, but it's knee jerk without all the facts. I agree that offering the information that you are carrying is a bad idea. We really don't know what happened before the phones camera was turned on.

Tragic and in the world of 20/20 hindsight this will.be fuel for a fire that is already burning.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby xd ED on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:37 pm

TabulaRasa wrote:... Based on a few things...

His family & child were in the car.
He had no criminal record.
He had been employed at the same place for the past 14 years.
He was a lawful permit holder.

Given the above, do you really believe that the deceased was reaching for his gun to shoot the cop? ...

his family... The couple were not married, and I don't believe he was the father of the infant.

Of the next 3 factors, which would be known to a police officer seeing him for the first time.
Last edited by xd ED on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:39 pm

The officer appears to indicate that he told the guy not to touch his gun ,to keep his hands off. This is going to be a very painful.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Nat on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:53 pm

atomic41 wrote:He was one of your own?

http://freedomdaily.com/black-hates-whi ... n-heights/

:?:

... is this a psycho-redneck-parody news site? I'm hitting the wall on poe's law on this one
Secrets are the opposite of Freedoms
Nat

PreviousNext

Return to In The News