Evolving, apparenly officer involved shooting

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Evolving, apparenly officer involved shooting

Postby TabulaRasa on Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:38 pm

wasfuzz wrote:Homicide occurs when one human being causes the death of another human being.[1] Homicides can be divided into many overlapping types, including murder, manslaughter, justifiable homicide, killing in war, euthanasia, and execution, depending on the circumstances of the death. These different types of homicides are often treated very differently in human societies; some are considered crimes, while others are permitted or even ordered by the legal system.

Just becuase the ME rules homicide it does not mean the man was murdered!

Thanks for the clarification. Be sure to inform us when you have information that this was a justified shooting.

p.s., I have a hunch that Officer Jeronimo Yanez would like to know what you know too.
TabulaRasa

Postby jdege on Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:11 pm

atomic41 wrote:So as the facts come in, will any of you judge/jury/executioners change your minds? :roll: Turns out they were pulled over because they fit the description of armed robbers. If you are pulling them over, and there is a chance that they are recent violent criminals and one of them announces they have a gun and is now going for it, what would you super tier 21 Navy Seal ninjas do different? http://www.kare11.com/news/police-scann ... /267042738

I've not made up my mind. I've seen information on both sides that, if true, would influence my opinion of what happened, but at this point I don't trust anything except reporters' ability to get things wrong.
jdege

Postby jdege on Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:14 pm

Squib Joe wrote:
jdege wrote:All I'm saying is we should wait until we see evidence that he has a permit before we assume Reynolds was telling the truth.

He did have a Minnesota permit to carry

Bare assertions are worthless.
jdege

Postby jdege on Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:22 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/09/us/philando-castile-jeronimo-yanez.html?_r=0

Investigators gave few details about what had happened, but they said that Officer Yanez had approached from the driver’s side and Officer Kauser from the passenger’s side, and that Officer Yanez eventually opened fire. State officials said a gun was recovered from the scene, though the Facebook Live video suggested Mr. Castile might have had a permit to carry a gun legally. State officials said they were barred by law from saying whether Mr. Castile had a concealed-carry permit.

Anyone know what law that might be?
jdege

Postby xd ED on Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:49 pm

jdege wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/09/us/philando-castile-jeronimo-yanez.html?_r=0

Investigators gave few details about what had happened, but they said that Officer Yanez had approached from the driver’s side and Officer Kauser from the passenger’s side, and that Officer Yanez eventually opened fire. State officials said a gun was recovered from the scene, though the Facebook Live video suggested Mr. Castile might have had a permit to carry a gun legally. State officials said they were barred by law from saying whether Mr. Castile had a concealed-carry permit.

Anyone know what law that might be?

Part of the MPPA
but it seems like it's often ignored
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Squib Joe on Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:06 pm

jdege wrote:
Squib Joe wrote:
jdege wrote:All I'm saying is we should wait until we see evidence that he has a permit before we assume Reynolds was telling the truth.

He did have a Minnesota permit to carry

Bare assertions are worthless.

I can assert that it exists, and I really have no reason to lie about that.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby goosed on Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:00 pm

Fox9 reported the victim in this case has previously plead guilty to 31 separate moving violations. Yet, he was still driving around with a broken taillight. Interesting...
goosed

Postby AutomaticAron on Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:16 pm

goosed wrote:Fox9 reported the victim in this case has previously plead guilty to 31 separate moving violations. Yet, he was still driving around with a broken taillight. Interesting...

Still has NOTHING to do with his death.
"The best tactical add-on is 10,000 rounds of practice ammo" -Hickok45
AutomaticAron

Postby Ghost on Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:20 pm

goosed wrote:Fox9 reported the victim in this case has previously plead guilty to 31 separate moving violations. Yet, he was still driving around with a broken taillight. Interesting...

Still no reason to get ventilated, waiting on the rest of the story though
Ghost

Postby AutomaticAron on Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:25 pm

atomic41 wrote:So as the facts come in, will any of you judge/jury/executioners change your minds? :roll: Turns out they were pulled over because they fit the description of armed robbers. If you are pulling them over, and there is a chance that they are recent violent criminals and one of them announces they have a gun and is now going for it, what would you super tier 21 Navy Seal ninjas do different?

Because of a "wide set nose"? Really? That's all it takes to "fit the description? I guess I fit the description too. Would big lips also mean he fit the description? I mean, it's absolutely possible to have respect and trust in law enforcement and not bend over backwards trying to justify a fatal mistake made by an officer. They're human. They mean well. And the also screw up royally at times. You're not anti-cop by accepting these realities.

Edit to clarify: I'm not referring specifically to the poster quoted. But to people who, were the shoe on the other foot would likely be a bit more confident in the details provided by the evidence received this far.
"The best tactical add-on is 10,000 rounds of practice ammo" -Hickok45
AutomaticAron

Postby goett047 on Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:44 pm

AutomaticAron wrote:
atomic41 wrote:So as the facts come in, will any of you judge/jury/executioners change your minds? :roll: Turns out they were pulled over because they fit the description of armed robbers. If you are pulling them over, and there is a chance that they are recent violent criminals and one of them announces they have a gun and is now going for it, what would you super tier 21 Navy Seal ninjas do different?

Because of a "wide set nose"? Really? That's all it takes to "fit the description? I guess I fit the description too. Would big lips also mean he fit the description? I mean, it's absolutely possible to have respect and trust in law enforcement and not bend over backwards trying to justify a fatal mistake made by an officer. They're human. They mean well. And the also screw up royally at times. You're not anti-cop by accepting these realities.

Edit to clarify: I'm not referring specifically to the poster quoted. But to people who, were the shoe on the other foot would likely be a bit more confident in the details provided by the evidence received this far.

Cops stopping to check ID is a scary though even when it doesn't end up with a use of force.
http://www.kare11.com/news/police-scann ... /267042738
goett047

Postby captnviper on Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:15 pm

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/20 ... -killings/
Looks like more than a nose, but not the same guy. Just explains the cop being all trigger happy I guess.Also says he didnt have a ptc.
Last edited by captnviper on Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's better to have a gun and need it then not have one and not need it" Ricky.
captnviper

Postby goett047 on Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:23 pm

captnviper wrote:https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2016/07/08/confirmed-philando-castile-was-an-armed-robbery-suspect-false-media-narrative-now-driving-cop-killings/
Looks like more than a nose. Also says he didnt have a ptc.

I'll wait for a legit news outlet.
goett047

Postby xd ED on Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:33 pm

AutomaticAron wrote:

I agree that the matching description thing sounds pretty lame, the transcript from the radio seemed fishy.
That said,
The arguments (from gov dayton, et al) that he got shot because of a broken taillight are totally disingenuous.

When one gets stopped, WHY he got stopped, is the least important aspect of the moment. Unless the cop planned shooting this guy, how the motorist behaves will have a major impact on how well things go, or don't.
Given we don't know what happened yet, it's a fool's errand to speculate.
One or more of the parties screwed up big time, and what seems to be an OK guy is dead.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby captnviper on Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:39 pm

goett047 wrote:
captnviper wrote:https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2016/07/08/confirmed-philando-castile-was-an-armed-robbery-suspect-false-media-narrative-now-driving-cop-killings/
Looks like more than a nose. Also says he didnt have a ptc.

I'll wait for a legit news outlet.

LOL you will be waiting forever on that front.
"It's better to have a gun and need it then not have one and not need it" Ricky.
captnviper

PreviousNext

Return to In The News