Gun buy back in Minneapolis

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Gun buy back in Minneapolis

Postby xd ED on Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:12 pm

I've heard repeated several times today, a news report on KTLK / 1130 AM, (most recently @ 1900hrs) about the success of the gun buyback. According to the reporter, the highly successful event had to shut down early because they ran out of funds after 3 hours. According to the report, they doled out $250,000; that's right- a quarter mil, in 3 hours... (the strib is reporting 1/10 that amount...)

Using both hands and 10 toes, and assuming there were 2 sites, I calculate that to be approx $41, 667 per hour / $694 a minute/ $11.57 a second, non-stop @ at each location..
That's the equivalent of 833 ARs/ AKs at the advertised rate of $300 per, at the rate of one every 26 seconds.

Could that be true, or is this another example of the media doing what the media often does: read whatever they're handed with little or no critical examination?..
This stations's news has never impressed me with being current- even the weather reports are sometimes the day after, so not too much would truly surprise me...
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:02 pm

xd ED wrote:Could that be true, or is this another example of the media doing what the media often does: read whatever they're handed with little or no critical examination?..
This stations's news has never impressed me with being current- even the weather reports are sometimes the day after, so not too much would truly surprise me...

This would be my guess, but I suppose it's possible one or more of the organizers walked away with pockets full of money.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Sorcerer on Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:45 pm

Erud wrote:
Sorcerer wrote:And now we/ you will be portrayed as the villen by the antis. You /we will be sead to have screwed up a program that would " save the children". O well, carry on.

Not to mention terrible at spelling... :cogitating:

Ah shoot the messenger.
Sorcerer

Postby akodo on Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:10 pm

xd ED wrote:I've heard repeated several times today, a news report on KTLK / 1130 AM, (most recently @ 1900hrs) about the success of the gun buyback. According to the reporter, the highly successful event had to shut down early because they ran out of funds after 3 hours. According to the report, they doled out $250,000; that's right- a quarter mil, in 3 hours... (the strib is reporting 1/10 that amount...)

Using both hands and 10 toes, and assuming there were 2 sites, I calculate that to be approx $41, 667 per hour / $694 a minute/ $11.57 a second, non-stop @ at each location..
That's the equivalent of 833 ARs/ AKs at the advertised rate of $300 per, at the rate of one every 26 seconds.

Could that be true, or is this another example of the media doing what the media often does: read whatever they're handed with little or no critical examination?..

Sounds like a good reason to investigate the people handing out the cards for fraud.
akodo

Postby Joat on Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:04 pm

xd ED wrote:I've heard repeated several times today, a news report on KTLK / 1130 AM, (most recently @ 1900hrs) about the success of the gun buyback. According to the reporter, the highly successful event had to shut down early because they ran out of funds after 3 hours. According to the report, they doled out $250,000; that's right- a quarter mil, in 3 hours... (the strib is reporting 1/10 that amount...)

I think some one wrote down an extra zero, or maybe the news reader just can't read all that well. $25,000 might be a believable number. Call the average payout $200 and that might be high there were a lot of junk shotguns, and a few bb guns. That would be about 60 guns per station. I don't know if Station 14 had even that much traffic. That doesn't count the 4 dangerous guns I bought in the street.
"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret" Breda
Joat

Postby Randygmn on Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:33 pm

Joat wrote:

I think some one wrote down an extra zero, or maybe the news reader just can't read all that well. $25,000 might be a believable number. Call the average payout $200 and that might be high there were a lot of junk shotguns, and a few bb guns. That would be about 60 guns per station. I don't know if Station 14 had even that much traffic. That doesn't count the 4 dangerous guns I bought in the street.

Why where you quoted as saying "gun nuts"? I read it quickly but perceived it as a pejorative.
Randygmn

Postby Chunkychuck on Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:22 am

From Foxnews.com

Minnesota gun buyback program a dud, some legal owners say

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/08/29/mi ... s-say.html
Chunkychuck

Postby Squib Joe on Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:57 am

Quite a long piece on this on The Truth About Guns

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/0 ... upporters/
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Randygmn on Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:58 am

Randygmn wrote:
Joat wrote:

Why where you quoted as saying "gun nuts"? I read it quickly but perceived it as a pejorative.

Actually- this is your exact quote,

"A lot of what I’m seeing is gun nuts turning in their guns for more than they’re worth,” he said".

Sounds to me like you're part of the problem rather than the solution. Way to throw gun owners under the bus, to the media no less.
Randygmn

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:14 am

If the term gun nuts is the problem then you better start writing to field and stream and outdoor life.
Holland&Holland

Postby Uffdaphil on Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:31 pm

That 2x4 long gun did more to discredit gun buy-back programs than everything negative ever reported previously. The story beyond the usual Strib happy talk has been repeated across national blogs and social media. New reports are still coming up today. All because of one photo of the absurd. Kudos to whoever first posted it. Someone here?
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby photogpat on Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:44 pm

Uffdaphil wrote:That 2x4 long gun did more to discredit gun buy-back programs than everything negative ever reported previously. The story beyond the usual Strib happy talk has been repeated across national blogs and social media. New reports are still coming up today. All because of one photo of the absurd. Kudos to whoever first posted it. Someone here?

Entirely possible.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby bstrawse on Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:45 pm

The photo was provided to the MN Gun Owners Caucus by a supporter - I believe we made the first public post, which has since been shared 356 times (as of tonight) on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/gunownersmn/ph ... =3&theater

Credit belongs to the person who thought up the idea and provided us with the photo though :)

Bryan
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby photogpat on Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:51 am

http://www.citypages.com/news/gun-fans- ... /391744431

"The gun in question was turned in," says Minneapolis police spokeswoman Catherine Micheal. "Our people inspected it, found out it was operable, however crude the construction, and that's why it was accepted."

#winningtroll
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby wasfuzz on Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:20 am

According to Pillsbury Communities the gift cards were mailed Thursday to those whom were owed them.
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

PreviousNext

Return to In The News