County could build gun locker in courthouse lobby

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby jdege on Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:11 pm

http://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article107181937.html
Kansas allows concealed or open carry by residents who can legally possess a gun. But guns are currently prohibited at the Sedgwick County Courthouse. Only commissioned law enforcement officers can carry a weapon inside the courthouse building.

“As such, there is no place to secure a weapon when visitors come to the county courthouse,” according to county documents for the commission meeting agenda. “A gun locker … allows visitors to check their weapon in a secured locker while doing business in the County Courthouse.”
jdege

Re: County could build gun locker in courthouse lobby

Postby Lumpy on Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:39 pm

Too bad courthouse restrictions aren't about reasonable security but about banning carry as much as possible.
Lumpy

Postby jdege on Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:14 pm

Lumpy wrote:Too bad courthouse restrictions aren't about reasonable security but about banning carry as much as possible.

I have no problem with courthouses banning carry within their secure areas, but I do think they should provide secure storage.
jdege

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:43 pm

^+1.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Lumpy on Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:13 pm

jdege wrote:
Lumpy wrote:Too bad courthouse restrictions aren't about reasonable security but about banning carry as much as possible.

I have no problem with courthouses banning carry within their secure areas, but I do think they should provide secure storage.
That's fine, except the rule in Hennepin County is to ban them throughout the physical building the court is in- such as the entirety of the Hennepin County Government Center in Minneapolis. And they'd ban the parking lot and the sidewalk fronting the building if they could. :x
Lumpy

Postby EAJuggalo on Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:24 am

Dakota county bans them in the parking lot, and in the City Hall next door and in the Library. I'm quite surprised that Hennepin doesn't. As bad as Ramsey was when the law was passed they have had lockers there for many years now.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Return to In The News