MN Sup Court..BB gun not firearm

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby ttousi on Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:10 am

http://www.fox9.com/news/212415347-story

By: Allie Johnson

Posted:Oct 19 2016 11:40AM CDT

Updated:Oct 19 2016 11:54AM CDT

ST. PAUL, Minn. (KMSP) - The Minnesota Supreme Court ruled Wednesday that a BB gun is not considered a firearm under Minnesota law.

In reviewing the case of a man who was sentenced to five years in prison for illegally possessing a BB gun, the Supreme Court determined the plain meaning of the word “firearm” only includes devices that require explosive force and does not include air-powered BB guns.
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Re: MN Sup Court..BB gun not firearm

Postby Ghost on Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:17 am

Can I shoot one in my backyard now?
Ghost

Postby hammAR on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:31 pm

Why did you stop...............
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby xd ED on Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:09 am

Ghost wrote:Can I shoot one in my backyard now?

Decision regards only definition for purposes of (prohibited) possession.

So, sure.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:29 am

That is good news. I have been wanting to use a dummy launcher for training my dog and was told that I couldn't use the typical launcher because it uses a blank .22 cartridge to fire the dummy. Lately I was looking for pneumatic equivalent but then thought that it would also likely be banned because I had heard that BB guns were considered "guns" and by extension the air powered dummy launcher would also be in the same category - firing a projectile.

Thoughts on that?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby highwarden on Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:52 am

Check your local ordinances. Bloomington for example does not allow discharge of anything (except for bows at approved archery range) . No firearms, compressed gases, springs, slingshots, bows, etc within city limits.
highwarden

Postby Ghost on Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:59 am

highwarden wrote:Check your local ordinances. Bloomington for example does not allow discharge of anything (except for bows at approved archery range) . No firearms, compressed gases, springs, slingshots, bows, etc within city limits.

Burnsville is the same. They list a BB gun as a firearm.
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:06 pm

So, when the MN Supreme Court says that BB guns are not Firearms, is it still possible that local municipalities could ignore or override that opinion. It would seem to me that the State decision would supersede Local law.

I got a definite no when I called about the .22 blank fired launcher. I'll check on a pneumatic equivalent. Although, I don't see any readily available for purchase.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby xd ED on Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:35 pm

The MNSC ruling merely defines a bb gun as not being a firearm (in the context of prohibited persons). It doesn't preclude a municipality from outlawing them. And in fact, most do; along with bows/ arrows, and sling shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby highwarden on Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:19 pm

To be clear Bloomington does not outlaw or ban the items, they just prohibit the discharge of said items.
highwarden

Postby xd ED on Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:55 pm

highwarden wrote:To be clear Bloomington does not outlaw or ban the items, they just prohibit the discharge of said items.

Thank you. I should have been more accurate in my statement. The use/ discharge is what is banned most cities.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby hopkins on Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:53 am

When I lived in the city of Osakis (near Alexandria) I called the police chief and asked specifically if I could shoot at a pie tin hanging next our bird feeder when the grackles took over. He said so long as I was not shooting at another person or their property I was within the law of the city. Call your local chief or sheriff about your area. Running afoul of these laws could endanger your gun rights.
hopkins

Postby grimbeaver on Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:10 am

xd ED wrote:
highwarden wrote:To be clear Bloomington does not outlaw or ban the items, they just prohibit the discharge of said items.

Thank you. I should have been more accurate in my statement. The use/ discharge is what is banned most cities.

Yep I think pretty much every metro area has a similar ban. Brooklyn Park has a rather long list of "weapons" that they ban the use / discharge of:

DEADLY WEAPONS . This term includes the following:
(1) All firearms;
(2) Bows and arrows when the arrows are pointed tipped;
(3) All instruments used to expel at high velocity any pellets of any kind, including, but not limited to B-B guns and air rifles;
(4) Sling shots;
(5) Sand clubs;
(6) Metal knuckles; and
(7) Daggers, dirks, stilettos, switch blade knife, spring blade knife, push button knife, or figures or discs with sharpened points or edges (commonly known as “throwing stars”).

So not even a sling shot... :cry:
grimbeaver

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:58 am

So a kid with rubber tubing, a piece of leather, and a stick can get into a lot of trouble in Bloomington.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:31 am

Holland&Holland wrote:So a kid with rubber tubing, a piece of leather, and a stick can get into a lot of trouble in Bloomington.

Good place for the Hillary defense
Ghost

Next

Return to In The News