Philando Castile case. Officer charged

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby xd9 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:55 am

So the officer that shot Philando Castile is charged in killing him. This was a permit holder being shot by a officer. We all should watch this one closely and see how this plays out. Hopefully LEO will learn from this interaction with a lawful permit holder.
xd9

Re: Philando Castile case. Officer charged

Postby Kelor on Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:02 am

xd9 wrote:So the officer that shot Philando Castile is charged in killing him. This was a permit holder being shot by a officer. We all should watch this one closely and see how this plays out. Hopefully LEO will learn from this interaction with a lawful permit holder.

Hopefully there is a police car video that clearly proves the officers innocence.
Kelor

Postby MJY65 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:06 am

Kelor wrote:Hopefully there is a police car video that clearly proves the officers innocence.

I doubt there is or he wouldn't be charged.
MJY65

Postby xd9 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:07 am

Kelor wrote:
xd9 wrote:So the officer that shot Philando Castile is charged in killing him. This was a permit holder being shot by a officer. We all should watch this one closely and see how this plays out. Hopefully LEO will learn from this interaction with a lawful permit holder.

Hopefully there is a police car video that clearly proves the officers innocence.

From the press conference, there supposedly dash cam video showing he acted in the wrong. So it does not look good for him. But if he did act in the wrong, I hope this sends a message to other LEO to cool it when dealing with folks with a carry permit. He contradicted himself by saying he did not see him reaching for anything and then later said he did and feared for his life. Sound like Castile and his girlfriend told him several times he was not reaching for anything before being shot.
xd9

Postby Ghost on Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:08 am

Calling it now, not guilty.
Ghost

Postby Sorcerer on Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:20 am

Some people are good at passing tests. That does not mean that thay are suted for that job. I recently met a guy who is a reserve deputy for Ramsy Co. I was sitting in a chair out of sight when he walked into the room and was startilled when he realized I was there. His statement to me was " good thing I'm not carrying. This is way I don't use my carry permit". At the time I thought " I hope he doesn't carry when he's on duty". Guy reminds me of a Barny Fighe.
Sorcerer

Postby silvor on Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:14 pm

I've mentioned this before, and I haven't found anything...

But why would the officer approach the suspect from the front of the suspects vehicle? Especially when he thought the guy was involved in a robbery prior to this? Reading the thread about the guy on this board who was stopped and put into cuffs, aren't the officers supposed to approach from behind and the people in the car put both hand out of the vehicle?

Or maybe I just watch too many cops shows... :o
silvor

Postby Ghost on Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:23 pm

silvor wrote:I've mentioned this before, and I haven't found anything...

But why would the officer approach the suspect from the front of the suspects vehicle? Especially when he thought the guy was involved in a robbery prior to this? Reading the thread about the guy on this board who was stopped and put into cuffs, aren't the officers supposed to approach from behind and the people in the car put both hand out of the vehicle?

How do you know how he approached, he'd been there a while before the video started rolling.
Ghost

Postby silvor on Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:43 pm

Ghost wrote:

How do you know how he approached, he'd been there a while before the video started rolling.

True. But during a traffic stop don't they always stand to the back of the driver? If the driver was so dangerous (the officer stated he looked like a robbery suspect), why stand face to face with the guy?
silvor

Postby Ghost on Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:14 pm

silvor wrote:
Ghost wrote:

True. But during a traffic stop don't they always stand to the back of the driver? If the driver was so dangerous (the officer stated he looked like a robbery suspect), why stand face to face with the guy?

I don't know where he was prior to shooting him.
Ghost

Postby unfitmother on Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:41 pm

The use of deadly force against Castile was not justified. Yanez is charged with Second Degree Manslaughter.
unfitmother

Postby LarryP on Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:34 pm

I can't comment since we don't know the facts in this case. I'll wait and let the process proceed to a conclusion
LarryP

Postby Jack's My dog on Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:54 pm

unfitmother wrote:The use of deadly force against Castile was not justified. Yanez is charged with Second Degree Manslaughter.
I believe he is also is getting charged with 2 Felony reckless endangerment counts. The girlfriend and a small child were also in the car. I don't know all the facts, but I am not sure how the officer gets around that one.
Jack's My dog

Postby INOR on Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:27 pm

Will be interesting to see how this case goes. Only guaranteed thing is that an acquittal will lead to some serious civil unrest so we have that to look forward to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:15 pm

It really appears that the officer screwed up. We will see how this turns out, but it doesn't look good for him. This may be instructional on why you should not introduce additional stress by announcing that you are carrying a firearm when you don't have to. IMHO unless you believe that the officer will discover the firearm during an interaction, how does.it help you? It's possible that the officer would have asked that he exit the vehicle. At the point he was out of the car I would make sure my hands were on my head and then let the officer know and ask how they would like to proceed.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Next

Return to In The News