Philando Castile case. Officer charged

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Philando Castile case. Officer charged

Postby mmcnx2 on Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:26 am

FJ540 wrote:These are 5mg straight oxycodone. Probably more potent than whatever Castile/Reynolds had in their jar (total volume considered, not individual dose), and while I would be wrong to be in possession of a firearm IF I had side effects from my prescription, it's not a federal offense which invalidates my permit to carry.

MN law says possession and use of cannabis is not illegal with doctor's permission (same reason my schedule 2 narcotics aren't illegal for me), federal law contradicts that.

In this instance the state/feds have outsourced their decision making to a 3rd party to validate which of us is lawfully in possession. The doctor is the only thing between me being legit and a felon.

Arbitrary.

But don't think for a second if you had a auto accident or a shooting incident while taking them it wouldn't be a factor in your potential prosecution and definitely an issue in civil action.
mmcnx2

Postby FJ540 on Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:52 am

They're the reason I don't have a pilots license. Some guy in a menial position of authority said that if I was ever taking them, then I wouldn't pass a drug test and there was no way of knowing if I was impaired while in control of the aircraft and if he found out I was flying I'd be reported to the FAA because he didn't think I had the judgment to make the decision if I was impaired or not. Character and integrity had no basis in his rationale.

That and 9/11 ended my flight career in 2001.

I've always hated drugs, but we're doing more harm than good with how we're enforcing it.
FJ540

Postby INOR on Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:01 am

I think some of you are being intellectually dishonest if you think race played no role in this shooting and can make excuse after excuse for a cop ******* his pants unnecessarily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby xd ED on Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:20 am

INOR wrote:I think some of you are being intellectually dishonest if you think race played no role in this shooting and can make excuse after excuse for a cop ******* his pants unnecessarily.

I think some are missing the point that as long as cops are human there will be problem cops, and ways to survive encounters with them, regardless of skin tone. Being a problem motorist is not part of that solution.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Ghost on Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:37 pm

INOR wrote:I think some of you are being intellectually dishonest if you think race played no role in this shooting and can make excuse after excuse for a cop ******* his pants unnecessarily.

Are you implying that because the cop wasn't white he wasn't as in control of himself?
Ghost

Postby INOR on Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:43 pm

Nice try. But I won't bite on that bait.

INOR

Postby BigDog58 on Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:53 pm

FJ540 wrote:They're the reason I don't have a pilots license. Some guy in a menial position of authority said that if I was ever taking them, then I wouldn't pass a drug test and there was no way of knowing if I was impaired while in control of the aircraft and if he found out I was flying I'd be reported to the FAA because he didn't think I had the judgment to make the decision if I was impaired or not. Character and integrity had no basis in his rationale.

That and 9/11 ended my flight career in 2001.

I've always hated drugs, but we're doing more harm than good with how we're enforcing it.

After my near death injury at work, I had to not only take Oxycodone (for break-thru pain) I had to take Oxycontin every day, just to get through the day. My daily pain level never got below a 5, on their scale. I wasn't flying planes, but my job was to overhaul/repair parts in a shop environment, because after the accident, and then, nearly a year of recovery and intense physical therapy, I was no longer capable of climbing up and around an aircraft. I ended up having to medically retire, because the FAA said I could no longer exercise my A&P Certificates, due to my use of a narcotic substance, even though the airline's workers comp doctors prescribed them.

I never felt impaired, and drove daily with no incidents. As I look back, I wonder what would have happened to me, if I had had a wreck, or had to use my firearm in a self defense situation? Thankfully, I had major surgery in 2013, and after being on the Oxycontin/Oxycodone regimen for nearly 14 yrs, I weaned off of them in less than 6 weeks after my surgery. While I still have some pain on a regular basis, the strongest med I now take are Celebrex and Tylenol. I also have never taken any drug that wasn't prescribed for me. Well, maybe a shot of Jack Daniels or two, on occasion in my younger days ;)
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby FJ540 on Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:53 pm

I don't like them, but weaker stuff has no impact on me anymore. 99% of the time I tolerate the pain because it keeps me from doing even more damage. Pushing through the pain is what put me in this shape in the first place.
FJ540

Postby Ghost on Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:29 pm

INOR wrote:Nice try. But I won't bite on that bait.

Well you seem to make it sound like that cop had never seen a black person before
Ghost

Postby xd ED on Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:47 am

Perhaps you can enlighten me a bit.

If a black motorist sincerely subscribed to the belief that cops are racist, and would act tyrannically, and violently at the opportunity, Why would seemingly intelligent and aware black motorists, Philando Castille as example, so obviously tempt fate, and target themselves by driving around smoking pot, with 3 bad taillights, and an open bag of weed in clear view on the console?
Wouldn't one strive to stay under the radar, for defensive reasons?
This is not a trick/ trap, rhetorical question.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby LarryFlew on Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:01 pm

Stupidity comes in all colors.

While this should not have happened there was enough there for an acquittal based on video and the actions taken.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:12 pm

INOR wrote:Nice try. But I won't bite on that bait.

Are you staying that if Philando was white the jury would have come back with a guilty verdict? Sounds more like you are accusing the jury of racism than the cop. Either there is enough evidence to convict or not.
Holland&Holland

Postby INOR on Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:32 am

What I'm saying is that I believe that he wouldn't have been shot if he hadn't been a young black male. The situation wouldn't have escalated into a full blown panic attack on the part of the officer.

INOR

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:52 am

INOR wrote:What I'm saying is that I believe that he wouldn't have been shot if he hadn't been a young black male (ETA ) who fit the description of an armed robbery suspect, who drove around stoned with weed in full view, drove around with 3 tail lights out, who announced he had a gun to the cop and then couldn't keep his hands in plain site during a traffic stop . The situation wouldn't have escalated into a full blown panic attack on the part of the officer.

There you go, fixed it for you. You are missing the details that are crucial to the story - ignoring facts may help advance your narrative and help you win $3M settlements (his Mother just did BTW), but it doesn't make the facts go away.

It will be interesting to see how much of that $3M makes it to the "Charity" Moms set up. IMHO, there is an amount of that settlement that should go into a trust for the daughter to pay for upbringing and post secondary education, but the rest should be donated. No one should profit from this event.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:14 am

INOR wrote:What I'm saying is that I believe that he wouldn't have been shot if he hadn't been a young black male. The situation wouldn't have escalated into a full blown panic attack on the part of the officer.

I disagree, I would contend that a white person could instigate the same outcome. I do not deny that it was a factor but not the only factor.
Holland&Holland

PreviousNext

Return to In The News