Thief Breaks Into Ramsey Co. Squad Car; Steals AR15

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Thief Breaks Into Ramsey Co. Squad Car; Steals AR15

Postby minnesotatv on Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:23 am

Officials: Thief Breaks Into Ramsey Co. Squad Car; Steals Loaded Assault Rifle

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — The Ramsey County Sheriff’s office is one assault rifle lighter
after a thief broke into an unmarked squad car two weeks ago.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/01/1 ... ult-rifle/
minnesotatv

Re: Thief Breaks Into Ramsey Co. Squad Car; Steals AR15

Postby Ghost on Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:03 am

Probably easier to use the gun show loophole
Ghost

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:19 pm

Anyone believe the cop locked his door before proceeding in? I doubt it. Nice cover story though.
Bearcatrp

Postby Rodentman on Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:17 pm

The news report I saw on tv said it was a "machine gun." Do they carry full autos?
Rodentman

Postby Jackpine Savage on Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:48 pm

Rodentman wrote:The news report I saw on tv said it was a "machine gun." Do they carry full autos?

If it was a loaner from the feds it could have been. One of the deputies around here has a Vietnam era M-16.
Jackpine Savage

Postby FJ540 on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:36 am

Probably headed to Mexico by now. Worth way more there than here.
FJ540

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:52 am

FJ540 wrote:Probably headed to Mexico by now. Worth way more there than here.

Inauguration has not happened yet, they can still just call up the DOJ and get them shipped to their Drug Cartel headquarters.
Last edited by Holland&Holland on Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holland&Holland

Postby Snakeman721 on Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:41 pm

Rodentman wrote:The news report I saw on tv said it was a "machine gun." Do they carry full autos?

In all likelihood....yes. A few years ago, the C.R. police dept recieved a bunch of of used full auto A4s from the DOD. They had a council meeting to discuss accepting the shipment which the city had to pay for and there I learned that not only did residents pay for the shipping (over $12,000), they also OK-ed paying for training one of the cops to be an armorer so that they could swap out most (but not all) of the auto sears to make them semi auto only. At the time, I stood up at the meeting and asked why they didn't just buy a bunch of semi auto only ARs from Gander or Cabelas and save a TON of money. Never got an answer back to that. Shipping, training, and parts came to over $45,000 I think and if they ever want to change to some other type of weapon, they have to convert the semi ARs back to full auto and ship them back to the DOd...all on our dime. So now, C.R has AR's riding in most squads and a few of them were left as full autos.
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Postby rtk on Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:57 pm

Snakeman721 wrote:

In all likelihood....yes. A few years ago, the C.R. police dept recieved a bunch of of used full auto A4s from the DOD. They had a council meeting to discuss accepting the shipment which the city had to pay for and there I learned that not only did residents pay for the shipping (over $12,000), they also OK-ed paying for training one of the cops to be an armorer so that they could swap out most (but not all) of the auto sears to make them semi auto only. At the time, I stood up at the meeting and asked why they didn't just buy a bunch of semi auto only ARs from Gander or Cabelas and save a TON of money. Never got an answer back to that. Shipping, training, and parts came to over $45,000 I think and if they ever want to change to some other type of weapon, they have to convert the semi ARs back to full auto and ship them back to the DOd...all on our dime. So now, C.R has AR's riding in most squads and a few of them were left as full autos.

Government in action! carry on....
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby karlobag on Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:06 am

I wonder if the Deputy was watching movies or just shopping at West End?
NRA Life Member
NRA RSO

"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
karlobag

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:09 am

karlobag wrote:I wonder if the Deputy was watching movies or just shopping at West End?

Good restaurants there.
Holland&Holland

Postby wasfuzz on Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:59 pm

Snakeman721 wrote:

Back in the day - we requested them and went to Fort McCoy, WI and picked them up no charge. Only 1 was select fire and we switched it out. When we tried to return some they sent us paperwork and turned them over to us and told to dispose of them as we saw fit.
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby FJ540 on Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:38 pm

So how many do you still have? :P
FJ540

Postby wasfuzz on Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:15 pm

FJ540 wrote:So how many do you still have? :P

None but I see online at the list DOD put out the Department still has them - would not really want one of the wore out things. We completely rebuilt them to make them useable,
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby FJ540 on Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:24 pm

I believe it. The stuff we kept using in training was beat to hell and probably spent time in the sandbox before being cycled out of active units. I can only imagine how bad it has to get to be removed completely.
FJ540

Return to In The News