A warning, a gun sale and tragic consequences

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby jdege on Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:31 pm

What do we think about this?

Despite a mother’s plea, her mentally ill daughter was sold a firearm. Here’s why she sued.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/local/2017/03/06/despite-a-mothers-plea-her-mentally-ill-daughter-was-sold-a-gun-with-tragic-results/?utm_term=.84c15ee66116
jdege

Re: A warning, a gun sale and tragic consequences

Postby MJY65 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:42 pm

I'm not saying the shop violated any criminal law, but they probably failed to exercise good judgement. Not entirely different than a bartender than serves additional alcohol to a drunk patron knowing that they drove in by themselves and were already drunk.
Last edited by MJY65 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJY65

Postby Ghost on Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:44 pm

I think the mom was calling the wrong people.

I think it would be hard to determine which lady was the crazy one.

I think she won based on emotion.
Ghost

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:15 pm

A few thoughts.

If mom was so convinced her daughter was a danger to herself or others, why didn't she have her committed?

How did mom know where the daughter would go to buy the gun? Did mom maybe call every gun shop in town?

From the wording of the article, it sounds like the gunshop settled out of court, "they agreed to a settlement".

I wonder if the settlement was an insurance company deal. I don't know too many businesses that have $2+ million just laying around.

I got the impression the article was just another push for enhanced background checks.

ETA: In my admittedly limited experience, no one just snaps. They give warning signs and if mom knew her daughter was violent, she bears some responsibly.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby crbutler on Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:13 pm

I suspect the reason they settled was that ATF caught them playing fast and loose. The article said that they had a history of not running checks, ignoring delays, etc.

They were clearly not a sympathetic defendant.

If they followed the rules, they would not have had nearly the risks of losing the case, even if they did follow them in this case.

I just have to wonder why people can buy guns on public assistance money. That is supposed to be the bare minimum...
crbutler

Postby jdege on Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:08 pm

crbutler wrote:I just have to wonder why people can buy guns on public assistance money. That is supposed to be the bare minimum...

It's simple enough. You leach of your parents, and then spend your disability money on yourself.

The core of the problem is that far too many parents have been convinced that charging their adult children rent is somehow heartless.

Letting your kids sponge of you as a way of avoiding responsibility and adulthood is what is, IMO, heartless.
jdege

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:05 pm

jdege wrote:The core of the problem is that far too many parents have been convinced that charging their adult children rent is somehow heartless.

Letting your kids sponge of you as a way of avoiding responsibility and adulthood is what is, IMO, heartless.

I'd say the problem is parents who want to be their kids friend instead of their parent.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Lumpy on Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:33 pm

Should this go here or in it's own thread? http://www.startribune.com/it-s-a-first ... 415523994/

More than two years later, Schoenhard and Eernisse, both staunch Second Amendment supporters, are nevertheless suing a gun shop owner, saying he knowingly sold the gun used by Kmetz to a straw buyer who then sold it to Kmetz.

So I guess the question is, did the gun shop exercise due diligence in preventing straw buyer sales?
Lumpy

Postby Uffdaphil on Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:07 am

I see both the WAPO and STRIB articles as typical examples of Brady Center strategy. Find a sympathetic client who is angry, grieving and/or greedy and a like-minded newspaper to propagandize the news story. Neither is a criminal case. Both have Brady Center lawers arguing in a venue much easier to get a friendly verdict.

The STRIB story says the two cops as individuals are the plaintiffs so why is the pictured Chief of Police speaking at a press conference? Seems like the Chiefs of Police groups are usually on the left side of 2A issues.

And why the hell is the Brady Center getting our tax dollars? Because they are registered as a charity? Pretty poor rating. Almost half their revenue goes for expenses.
https://www.charitynavigator.org/index. ... orgid=5426
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:50 pm

I like how this thread went from a anti gun story to parenting advice. If anyone is actually coming here for parenting advice they are in real trouble and should be advised to start reloading with no manual.
Holland&Holland

Postby jdege on Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:55 am

Holland&Holland wrote:I like how this thread went from a anti gun story to parenting advice. If anyone is actually coming here for parenting advice they are in real trouble and should be advised to start reloading with no manual.

With no manual?

That's terrible advice.

Everyone knows that when you have a question you should trust some random guy on the internet.
jdege

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:51 am

jdege wrote:
Everyone knows that when you have a question you should trust some random guy on the internet.

Exactly
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:33 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
jdege wrote:

Exactly

You Rang...................... :D ?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby ZardozCZ on Sat May 13, 2017 1:08 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:A few thoughts.

If mom was so convinced her daughter was a danger to herself or others, why didn't she have her committed?

Precisely! Moms just trying to blame others for her lack of doing the right thing in the first place, when the first firearm was purchased and confiscated.
ZardozCZ

Return to In The News