Off-duty cops still want to carry at Vikings games.

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Off-duty cops still want to carry at Vikings games.

Postby mrp on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:55 pm

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/03/14 ... m-gun-bill

Police unions push proposal to allow off-duty cops to keep guns in venues; Vikings concerned

A bill to give off-duty police officers power to carry guns in places where other people can't awaits final action by the Minnesota Legislature.

The proposal, which cleared a Senate committee Tuesday, allows off-duty cops to take firearms into certain venues after going through regular security screening and presenting a valid law enforcement ID.
mrp

Re: Off-duty cops still want to carry at Vikings games.

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:17 pm

Tough.
Holland&Holland

Postby linksep on Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:45 pm

Not saying it's a majority, but often enough to be worrisome, cops are sometimes worse than "regular-folk" with guns. Having a badge and shooting once or twice a year to qualify does not necessarily make you a better marksman than a regular-Joe that happens to be a "firearms enthusiast". It's fairly likely that "regular-Joe" visits the range monthly or even weekly, compared to the once or twice a year for a so-called expert (just because they have a badge). Hell, it's a coin-toss if "firearms-enthusiast" regular-Joe knows more about firearms laws than Johnny-Law.

Constitutional-Open-Carry for all on all State and Federal property. (Businesses can still "prohibit" carry based on private-property rights, but "concealed-is-concealed" and it's only trespassing if you refuse to leave after you discover that you & your money are unwelcome.)
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby MJY65 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:19 am

Holland&Holland wrote:Tough.

Yep!
MJY65

Postby unfitmother on Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:17 am

If an off-duty officer is injured responding to a situation, are they covered under the department/city's indemnity insurance?

Bill's proposed change: https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/text.php?number=SF1099&version=0&session=ls90&session_year=2017&session_number=0

As someone who doesn't like to bring my work home with me, I would want my union to decrease my responsibility after I clock out. If my understanding is correct, off-duty police are obligated to respond to certain situations, so this bill makes backwards sense as a response to that. Has there ever been any effort to reduce the responsibility of off-duty cops?
unfitmother

Postby Dill on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:32 am

I feel that if the NFL wants to prohibit anyone from carrying there, they have the right to, and they will via metal detector just like the Twins started to. Which is why I will likely never see another game in person.
Dill

Postby Hmac on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:37 am

I have no problem with cops carrying where other citizens can't, including major sporting events. I agree with those who are skeptical of the average cop's gun-handling skills and safety, but as long as they are charged to any degree with maintaining the public safety then I don't think it's reasonable to have their ability to do so curtailed. Citizens OTOH...their authorized responsibility is self-protection only. Not the same thing.
Hmac

Postby wasfuzz on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:50 am

If the the NFL could assure me that their security measures were 100 percent foolproof, I as a retired cop would have had no problems disarming to go to the game. But history has shown that is not the case. Often times we (active duty LEO's) meet folks we have dealt with in a unfavorable situations, when we are off duty and out and about. Often times those chances meetings are not pleasant. Also many agencies have policies that state unless consuming alcohol, off duty officers MUST carry their badge, ID and weapon at all times. No not all LEO's are "gun guy's anymore", but there is still a certain level of training and proficiency required.
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby Hmac on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:57 am

wasfuzz wrote: No not all LEO's are "gun guy's anymore", but there is still a certain level of training and proficiency required.

I think that that "certain level of training and proficiency" generally tends to be a pretty low bar for the average cop, but OTOH the average citizen with a PTC has ZERO level of training and proficiency. So..."in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king".
Hmac

Postby wasfuzz on Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:06 am

Hmac wrote:
wasfuzz wrote: No not all LEO's are "gun guy's anymore", but there is still a certain level of training and proficiency required.

I think that that "certain level of training and proficiency" generally tends to be a pretty low bar for the average cop, but OTOH the average citizen with a PTC has ZERO level of training and proficiency. So..."in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king".

:exactly:
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
WI,IA Conceal Carry
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby photogpat on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:11 am

Hmac wrote:

Speak for yourself. I know for a fact I train more than Dan Schoen, one of the Senate sponsors of this bill, and an LEO. He announced in 2013 during the AWB debates that, as an LEO, he was the only one qualified enough to have one because of his training....then when pushed, it became clear he only hits the range once a year for his qualifier...
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby wasfuzz on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:14 am

photogpat wrote:
Hmac wrote:

I think that that "certain level of training and proficiency" generally tends to be a pretty low bar for the average cop, but OTOH the [b]average citizen[/b] with a PTC has ZERO level of training and proficiency. So..."in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king".

Speak for yourself. I know for a fact I train more than Dan Schoen, one of the Senate sponsors of this bill, and an LEO. He announced in 2013 during the AWB debates that, as an LEO, he was the only one qualified enough to have one because of his training....then when pushed, it became clear he only hits the range once a year for his qualifier...
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
WI,IA Conceal Carry
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby LarryP on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:29 am

Another good reason to watch the games on tv
LarryP

Postby photogpat on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:32 am

I saw that wasfuzz -- I was saying if the "average citizen" hits the range more than once a year - they're up on the anti-gun Golden Boy Senator Schoen...
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Ghost on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:56 am

photogpat wrote:
Hmac wrote:

I remember the last guy I saw that said he was the only one in the room capable of handling his Glock.
Ghost

Next

Return to In The News