Mn Permit to Carry Satisfies Background Check

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby MNIceMan on Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:08 pm

MN DNR FAS Instructor
NRA Life Member
"We all have our own Green Mile to walk. How will yours be?"
MNIceMan

Re: Mn Permit to Carry Satisfies Background Check

Postby Ghost on Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:46 pm

Damn, mine expires next year
Ghost

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:07 pm

Great news!!! I hope the FFLs will adopt it. Do they have a choice in the matter?
gun_fan111v2

Postby george on Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:50 pm

I haven't received a letter yet and would not consider without it, The consequences are to great.
This is the first I've heard of it but I think it's great. I am surprised considering no picture on permit, that was one
of the reasons it didn't before.
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:07 pm

Sorry to be obtuse but does this mean you don't have to wait for the NICS call and clearance?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby wasfuzz on Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:00 pm

As I read the ruling it means the FFL "MAY chose" to just complete a 4473 as long as the buyer has a Permit to Carry. The State Atty General was notified in late Feb this was happening. There are several other states that already have this available.
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby IDPA Shooter on Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:26 pm

We have this now in AZ. We also have no photo on the permit, so your DL or state ID , which has photos is also required. Most places Xerox them and file that with the 4473 form.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Bob Jahn NRA CRSO, IDPA 5 Gunner
USCCA Certified Training Counselor
NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun, Advanced Pistol Instructor
Massad Ayoob Group Instructor
Defense Training Intl (John Farnam) Instructor

http://www.rejfirearmstraining.com
IDPA Shooter

Postby jshuberg on Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:04 pm

It took several years, but this was the result of the work of Prof Joe Olson of GOCRA back in 2013. What happened was that state law became the same as federal law with regard to the Brady act, and that the background check performed by the Sheriff annually for permit holders satisfies the background check requirement in the Brady act, so a separate NICS check at purchase time is unnecessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby MJY65 on Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:27 am

If the check is updated annually, what is the significance of the expiration date on this rule? Aren't we all now being evaluated by the new standard regardless of when the permit was issued?
MJY65

Postby atomic41 on Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:30 pm

MJY65 wrote:If the check is updated annually, what is the significance of the expiration date on this rule? Aren't we all now being evaluated by the new standard regardless of when the permit was issued?

I have the same question, what is different with permits issued on earlier dates?
atomic41

Postby snatiep on Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:23 pm

This is good news for us with our Minnesota Permit to Carry and a UPIN number that still get delayed occasionally!
snatiep

Postby jshuberg on Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:28 pm

The date is based on when the bill passed in 2013 and became law. They could have worded that it applies to any permit issued after the date we came into compliance, but instead worded it as expires after the 5 year anniversary of when it became law. Probably just to confuse people.

My understanding is that the Brady bill was worded in such a way that if a permit is issued where the background check performed satisfies the Brady act requirements, that subsequent checks for each purchase is unnecessary. But it's based on state law being compliant at the time the permit was issued. So even though the sheriffs will perform Brady compliant checks on permit holders annually now, unless the permit itself was issued after we became compliant it doesn't matter. So some folks are going to have to wait for their permit to expire and then be renewed to take advantage.

I'm not a lawyer though, so my understanding might be a simplified version of all the lawyerly things involved with this.

NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Mon May 01, 2017 4:49 am

jshuberg wrote:The date is based on when the bill passed in 2013 and became law. They could have worded that it applies to any permit issued after the date we came into compliance, but instead worded it as expires after the 5 year anniversary of when it became law. Probably just to confuse people.

My understanding is that the Brady bill was worded in such a way that if a permit is issued where the background check performed satisfies the Brady act requirements, that subsequent checks for each purchase is unnecessary. But it's based on state law being compliant at the time the permit was issued. So even though the sheriffs will perform Brady compliant checks on permit holders annually now, unless the permit itself was issued after we became compliant it doesn't matter. So some folks are going to have to wait for their permit to expire and then be renewed to take advantage.

I'm not a lawyer though, so my understanding might be a simplified version of all the lawyerly things involved with this.

In other words, the law is so complicated and confusing, dealers will require a background check anyway to avoid making a mistake.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby usnret on Mon May 01, 2017 8:51 am

What's the big deal about a dealer doing a background check? It takes about 5 to 10 minutes on the phone with NICIS.
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby FJ540 on Mon May 01, 2017 10:16 am

usnret wrote:What's the big deal about a dealer doing a background check? It takes about 5 to 10 minutes on the phone with NICIS.

If you can get through, and if the system is not down at the time.

"Shall not be infringed" comes to mind too. This shouldn't be needed at all, but since we're stuck with liberals feel good restrictions, this is a step in the right direction.

Thank you Joe!
FJ540

Next

Return to In The News