Mn Permit to Carry Satisfies Background Check

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Mn Permit to Carry Satisfies Background Check

Postby BigBlue on Mon May 01, 2017 1:04 pm

usnret wrote:What's the big deal about a dealer doing a background check? It takes about 5 to 10 minutes on the phone with NICIS.

For a lot of people that is accurate. But there are quite a few people who get delayed on initial NICS check. They sometimes cannot go home with their purchase same day.

Also, can you imagine how much less labor and workers would be needed by some high volume stores like Cabela's? On evenings and weekends their gun department is literally stacked up with people waiting for their folks to complete the NICS checks.

And there is the whole "I've already had a very thorough background check done so why another?" aspect.

BB
BigBlue

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon May 01, 2017 1:24 pm

BigBlue wrote:
usnret wrote:What's the big deal about a dealer doing a background check? It takes about 5 to 10 minutes on the phone with NICIS.

For a lot of people that is accurate. But there are quite a few people who get delayed on initial NICS check. They sometimes cannot go home with their purchase same day.

Also, can you imagine how much less labor and workers would be needed by some high volume stores like Cabela's? On evenings and weekends their gun department is literally stacked up with people waiting for their folks to complete the NICS checks.

And there is the whole "I've already had a very thorough background check done so why another?" aspect.

BB

Cabela's process can easily take an hour from when you start the paperwork to when you are finally out the door.
Holland&Holland

Postby Squib Joe on Mon May 01, 2017 2:36 pm

Note that this doesn't mean you get out of filling out and signing the 4473 ... sorry :(

... but for those that often get a delayed response this is great
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby jshuberg on Mon May 01, 2017 5:35 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:In other words, the law is so complicated and confusing, dealers will require a background check anyway to avoid making a mistake.

Ummmm, no. Someone asked why it only applies to permits that expire after 1 AUG 2019. I answered that question.

The difficulty for an FFL begins and ends at looking at the date on the permit. It couldn't be simpler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby wasfuzz on Mon May 01, 2017 6:18 pm

jshuberg wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:In other words, the law is so complicated and confusing, dealers will require a background check anyway to avoid making a mistake.

Ummmm, no. Someone asked why it only applies to permits that expire after 1 AUG 2019. I answered that question.

The difficulty for an FFL begins and ends at looking at the date on the permit. It couldn't be simpler.

Dots anyone have the date that it will take effect?
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby Tom S on Mon May 01, 2017 6:50 pm

Of course ProtectMN is up to their normal BS.
Attachments
pm.PNG
Tom S

Postby IDPA Shooter on Mon May 01, 2017 9:00 pm

May 1 is the effective date. Someone posted that Gander and Scheels intends to continue to do existing checks. Asshats!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Bob Jahn NRA CRSO, IDPA 5 Gunner
USCCA Certified Training Counselor
NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun, Advanced Pistol Instructor
Massad Ayoob Group Instructor
Defense Training Intl (John Farnam) Instructor

http://www.rejfirearmstraining.com
IDPA Shooter

Postby BigDog58 on Tue May 02, 2017 1:15 am

Copied this from a good friend that is a LEO

ATF FFL Letter.jpg
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby BigBlue on Tue May 02, 2017 7:05 am

jshuberg wrote:The date is based on when the bill passed in 2013 and became law. They could have worded that it applies to any permit issued after the date we came into compliance, but instead worded it as expires after the 5 year anniversary of when it became law. Probably just to confuse people.

A MN permit to carry does not list the issue date, only the expiration date (at least the ones I've received from Henn county are like this). So that's why ATF is referencing expiration date. Exp date is the only piece of data available to an FFL when inspecting your permit.

BB
BigBlue

Re:

Postby Squib Joe on Tue May 02, 2017 7:49 am

IDPA Shooter wrote:May 1 is the effective date. Someone posted that Gander and Scheels intends to continue to do existing checks. Asshats!

All Bill's Gun Shop locations are waiving NICS checks for eligible Carry Permit holders as of yesterday. I'm going to assume that all other stores out there will fall in line ... after their lawyers take a few weeks to review the letter :roll:
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby george on Tue May 02, 2017 6:07 pm

"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Postby xd ED on Tue May 02, 2017 6:26 pm

Can one assume the background check undertaken for a Permit To Purchase is less rigorous than the Permit To Carry?
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Tue May 02, 2017 7:39 pm

Squib Joe wrote:
IDPA Shooter wrote:May 1 is the effective date. Someone posted that Gander and Scheels intends to continue to do existing checks. Asshats!

All Bill's Gun Shop locations are waiving NICS checks for eligible Carry Permit holders as of yesterday. I'm going to assume that all other stores out there will fall in line ... after their lawyers take a few weeks to review the letter :roll:

Way to set an example!
gun_fan111v2

Postby jshuberg on Tue May 02, 2017 10:30 pm

Unfortunately, my permit expires in April 2019. So I'm one of the ones that will have to deal with a NICS check for every purchase for the next 2 years. Fortunately I've never had a problem, but it's still kind of a pain.

NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby bstrawse on Wed May 03, 2017 8:05 am

jshuberg wrote:Unfortunately, my permit expires in April 2019. So I'm one of the ones that will have to deal with a NICS check for every purchase for the next 2 years. Fortunately I've never had a problem, but it's still kind of a pain.

Go get a new permit ;)
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

PreviousNext

Return to In The News