'Good Samaritan' Kills Active Shooter in Texas Restaurant:

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

'Good Samaritan' Kills Active Shooter in Texas Restaurant:

Postby brad3579 on Thu May 04, 2017 9:21 pm

A "good Samaritan" with a gun killed an active shooter who may have been gearing up for a deadly rampage at a Texas sports bar Wednesday night, police said.

When 48-year-old James Jones walked inside the Zona Caliente Sports Bar, started yelling and then allegedly shot and killed Cesar Perez — a 37-year-old restaurant manager who'd attempted to calm him down — Arlington police said witnesses were afraid they would be next.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/good-samaritan-kills-active-shooter-in-texas-restaurant-police/ar-BBAL3Gc?li=BBnb7Kz
brad3579

Re: 'Good Samaritan' Kills Active Shooter in Texas Restaurant:

Postby Ghost on Fri May 05, 2017 6:01 am

Without reading the link, sounds like a good shoot
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Fri May 05, 2017 8:57 am

Yes, it was a good shoot. I heard the news report on the radio and read the article. Would be nice to see this and similar incidents get a little more play.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Fri May 05, 2017 11:02 am

yukonjasper wrote:Yes, it was a good shoot. I heard the news report on the radio and read the article. Would be nice to see this and similar incidents get a little more play.

Trump should have a beer summit with the Good Samaritan
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Fri May 05, 2017 11:37 am

That would be a good idea. Sounds like the hero wants to remain anonymous. I guess that is part of the problem, the good guys are not usually interested in the publicity. I would think that, although justified, the taking of a life may weigh heavy and not necessarily something the hero would wish to have to relive through interviews etc.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby steve4102 on Sun May 07, 2017 7:09 am

I think this "Good Samaritan's" troubles are just beginning.

It is a FELONY to carry a firearm into a bar in Texas.

Taking out a bad guy while committing a felony is not going to end well for him. If the State of Texas over looks his Felony actions, you can beat your ass that family of the dead shooter will not in civil court.
steve4102

Postby Randygmn on Sun May 07, 2017 9:30 am

steve4102 wrote:I think this "Good Samaritan's" troubles are just beginning.

Taking out a bad guy while committing a felony is not going to end well for him. If the State of Texas over looks his Felony actions, you can beat your ass that family of the dead shooter will not in civil court.

You are WRONG. In Texas, if less than 51% of your business is alchol, you must post a blue sign. If more than 51% of your business is alchol, you post the red sign. The percentages are determined by the state govt alchol board. The signs come from them, too. Zona Caliente was a below 51% business with the proper blue sign posted. This means properly licensed civilians are allowed to carry in that establishment.

https://www.google.com/amp/dfw.cbslocal ... afety/amp/
Randygmn

Postby Hmac on Sun May 07, 2017 12:23 pm

Randygmn wrote:

You are WRONG. In Texas, if less than 51% of your business is alchol, you must post a blue sign. If more than 51% of your business is alchol, you post the red sign. The percentages are determined by the state govt alchol board. The signs come from them, too. Zona Caliente was a below 51% business with the proper blue sign posted. This means properly licensed civilians are allowed to carry in that establishment.

Yeah, he's completely wrong on all counts, including the fact that Texas statutes grant immunity from civil liability for justifiable use of force by a civilian.

CPRC §83.001. CIVIL IMMUNITY. A defendant who uses force or deadly force that is justified under Chapter 9, Penal Code, is immune from civil liability for personal injury or death that results from the defendant’s use of force or deadly force, as applicable.
Hmac

Postby steve4102 on Sun May 07, 2017 1:37 pm

Randygmn wrote:

A RED sign was posted.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local ... 54034.html

There was some confusion because the business had posted both a blue sign and a red sign. A red sign means no firearms are allowed.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local ... rylink=cpy
steve4102

Postby steve4102 on Sun May 07, 2017 1:43 pm

Hmac wrote:
Randygmn wrote:

Yeah, he's completely wrong on all counts, including the fact that Texas statutes grant immunity from civil liability for justifiable use of force by a civilian.

CPRC §83.001. CIVIL IMMUNITY. A defendant who uses force or deadly force that is justified under Chapter 9, Penal Code, is immune from civil liability for personal injury or death that results from the defendant’s use of force or deadly force, as applicable.

True, but he carried past a Red sign which is a felony, his actions (the shooting) were not legal as it was illegal for him to be in possession of a firearm.
steve4102

Postby Randygmn on Sun May 07, 2017 2:09 pm

[/quote]

True, but he carried past a Red sign which is a felony, his actions (the shooting) were not legal as it was illegal for him to be in possession of a firearm.[/quote]

From the article:
The business is a blue sign establishment, according to the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission, meaning alcohol does not make up 51 percent or more of its sales and that it was legal for the customer to carry his firearm inside, Cook said.

There was some confusion because the business had posted both a blue sign and a red sign. A red sign means no firearms are allowed. Cook said the red sign was probably a mistake.
Randygmn

Return to In The News