Shooter Attacks Congressional Baseball Team

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Shooter Attacks Congressional Baseball Team

Postby Hmac on Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:47 am

2in2out wrote:I've been waiting for a call to ban guns, but haven't seen one yet. There must be one somewhere, it's overdue. Both Franken and Klobuchar have commented on it, and they will jump on the "ban" wagon as soon as it comes around the bend.

It's terrible, and I hope this stirs discussion about what security is needed for group events that involve politicians. It's very VERY fortunate that a higher-ranking member of congress attended with their security detail or this could've been absolutely horrific.

Do you think that all members of Congress should get a personal protection detail?
Hmac

Postby Ghost on Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:54 am

Hmac wrote:
2in2out wrote:I've been waiting for a call to ban guns, but haven't seen one yet. There must be one somewhere, it's overdue. Both Franken and Klobuchar have commented on it, and they will jump on the "ban" wagon as soon as it comes around the bend.

It's terrible, and I hope this stirs discussion about what security is needed for group events that involve politicians. It's very VERY fortunate that a higher-ranking member of congress attended with their security detail or this could've been absolutely horrific.

Do you think that all members of Congress should get a personal protection detail?

No
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:11 am

They should receive training and be allowed to carry.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Randygmn on Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:24 am

The silver lining here is that National Reciprocity may get a longer, more thoughtful look now. Several congressman have already mentioned this. And since the legislation is currently being discussed at the early stages, it may be just the time to get this done.
Randygmn

Postby steve4102 on Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:10 am

Progressive Media Personalities Agree: Those Republicans Deserved To Get Shot

https://thefederalist.com/2017/06/14/in ... -thus-far/

LEFT-WING TWITTER CELEBRATES SHOOTING OF REP. SCALISE

https://news.grabien.com/story-left-win ... ep-scalise
steve4102

Postby Lumpy on Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:52 pm

From another forum: "Do you think the shooting of Congress members at a baseball field on June 14, 2017 is a wake up call to politicians on gun violence in the USA?". My response:
If you mean a general consensus will emerge that owning and carrying firearms by citizens should to some greater or lesser measure be forbidden by law, the answer is no. In the case of the Eugene Simpson Stadium Park shootings, they were carried out with a rifle; we don’t know yet whether it was a scary black “assault weapon” or an ordinary hunting rifle, but functionally there is little difference between the two. There is exactly zero chance that hunting rifles will be restricted or banned from the United States.

There will probably be calls for restrictions on owning or carrying handguns and “assault weapon” semi-automatics. These will have no relevance to the June 14 shootings whatsoever, except in the minds of gun control advocates who somehow believe that we could get everyone (including the criminals and sociopaths who don’t respond to social conditioning) to accept a prohibition on guns- which would probably work just as well as prohibitions on alcohol and narcotics have worked.
Lumpy

Postby Ghost on Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:33 pm

Lumpy wrote:From another forum: "Do you think the shooting of Congress members at a baseball field on June 14, 2017 is a wake up call to politicians on gun violence in the USA?". My response:
If you mean a general consensus will emerge that owning and carrying firearms by citizens should to some greater or lesser measure be forbidden by law, the answer is no. In the case of the Eugene Simpson Stadium Park shootings, they were carried out with a rifle; we don’t know yet whether it was a scary black “assault weapon” or an ordinary hunting rifle, but functionally there is little difference between the two. There is exactly zero chance that hunting rifles will be restricted or banned from the United States.

There will probably be calls for restrictions on owning or carrying handguns and “assault weapon” semi-automatics. These will have no relevance to the June 14 shootings whatsoever, except in the minds of gun control advocates who somehow believe that we could get everyone (including the criminals and sociopaths who don’t respond to social conditioning) to accept a prohibition on guns- which would probably work just as well as prohibitions on alcohol and narcotics have worked.

I would have said "CW2 will start before they take away guns" much less typing and still above the comprehension of whoever disagrees.
Ghost

Previous

Return to In The News