MN woman accused of fatal shooting in failed youtube stunt

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby INOR on Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:42 am

Hmmm....seems that .50AE will go through a hardcover book.

A 19-year-old woman shot at a book her boyfriend was holding against his chest, killing him at close range outside their northwestern Minnesota home in what was a video-recorded stunt gone awry, according to a criminal complaint filed Wednesday.

Monalisa Perez was charged with second-degree manslaughter in Norman County District Court and remains in a regional jail in Crookston in connection with the shooting Monday night in Halstad of 22-year-old Pedro Ruiz III.

Ruiz held up the book — described by County Attorney James Brue as a hardcover encyclopedia — and Perez pulled the trigger on a .50-caliber Desert Eagle pistol, trying to see whether the bullet would go through, according to the criminal complaint.

http://www.startribune.com/minnesota-wo ... 431313063/
INOR

Re: MN woman accused of fatal shooting in failed youtube stunt

Postby Squib Joe on Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:58 am

"In May, Perez posted a video revealing the gender of the child they are expecting. It is a boy."

:cry:
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby INOR on Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:01 am

Yep, they already had a daughter together too. Tragically stupid. All in the name of getting more Youtube hits and trying to become famous with crazy Youtube stunts.
INOR

Postby Ghost on Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:18 am

I was following the ARFCOM thread on this, too bad for the family.
Ghost

Postby Randygmn on Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:34 am

Stupidity oftentimes knows no bounds.

And out of character for the Star tribune to show some decency by not having a comment section. I'm sure there are some in the newsroom just wringing their hands at the missed opportunity to stand on his grave while attacking gun owners.
Randygmn

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:41 am

Darwin award winner. Sadly they procreated, another generation cursed with potentially fatally stupid people. Sad for the Family.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby LarryFlew on Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:04 pm

Gee sounds like a cool stunt but let's just go right holding it in front of your chest instead of trying it first. Don't wanna waste a book.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Sorcerer on Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:45 pm

LarryFlew wrote:Gee sounds like a cool stunt but let's just go right holding it in front of your chest instead of trying it first. Don't wanna waste a book.

That thar bulits are real spendy. Wes can't aford 2, an Wes only gots 1 enclycopeeda. Aw heck Wes only needs 1 take woman, don't miss da book.
Sorcerer

Postby Lumpy on Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:27 pm

Wasn't there a Charles Adams cartoon about a bullet-proof vest factory with a "testers wanted" sign out front?
Lumpy

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:12 pm

You can't fix stupid! To bad a death happened. She will go to prison and kids into the system unless parents step in.
Bearcatrp

Postby FJ540 on Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:09 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:You can't fix stupid! To bad a death happened. She will go to prison and kids into the system unless parents step in.

This is one instance where foster care might be better than real family. Nature/nurture and all that.
FJ540

Postby hard h2o on Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:29 pm

LarryFlew wrote:Gee sounds like a cool stunt but let's just go right holding it in front of your chest instead of trying it first. Don't wanna waste a book.

One of the articles I read said that he did shoot it into a book and he showed the woman that in his test the book stopped the bullet. That is how he convinced her to pull the trigger.
hard h2o

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:51 am

hard h2o wrote:

One of the articles I read said that he did shoot it into a book and he showed the woman that in his test the book stopped the bullet. That is how he convinced her to pull the trigger.

That would seem to be her best defense then...
Holland&Holland

Postby INOR on Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:02 am

Yep. Read that too. She probably will see the charges lowered and get some type of light sentence/probation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby Randygmn on Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:52 am

hard h2o wrote:

I can't imagine why so many made a simailar comment. It said it in the linked star tribune article in the first comment. I suppose no one read the article. Lol.
Randygmn

Next

Return to In The News